Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Japan now paying for Babies !
Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #1

Japan now paying for Babies !

Japan has figured out that people are needed to fund the programs for old people, so they are actually paying for folks to have babies.

I wonder when folks here recognize that immigrants are a postive instead of a negative? Especially the ones that fill all the unwanted low paying jobs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Japan now paying for Babies !
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you live in a border state, never. If you live elsewhere and the population is getting older or shrinking, soon.

Wish they'd pay me for a kid. I've no doubt that when #2 is born in June I will be getting mysterious bills from doctors I've never heard of for months after the fact.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

in a way the usa pays for children. what is the dependandt deduction? there are other items in the tax code also
Old 01-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Wish they'd pay me for a kid.* I've no doubt that when #2 is born in June I will be getting mysterious bills from doctors I've never heard of for months after the fact.
You'll be able to take a deduction for that kid for all of 2006 instead of prorating it.

So from a tax-efficient perspective, U.S. women should all give birth on the 31st of December.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know I get a generous amount from ole uncle sam for having babies. Approximately $1800/yr. In fact this year I pay zero tax (all that I've had withheld throughout the year will be refunded), and I get back an additional $1000 check for the additional child tax credit. I guess I'm receiving welfare . Cause we sure know the portfolio needs that government welfare check

I'm curious as to whether the Japanese tax code somehow compensates taxpayers for having children like the US tax code does. I'm sure I'll be getting more than $10,000 over the next 18 years for each of my children.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
So from a tax-efficient perspective, U.S. women should all give birth on the 31st of December.
I tried squeezing Mrs. () last december 30th, but she just yelled at me to "cut it out".

I will say this for her. She went into labor in the middle of the AFC championship game, won of course by my home town Patriots. She said she was fine and would rather lie in her own bed than the one at the hospital.

The running joke was that she was going to go into labor in the middle of the superbowl and make me stand there with one of those little tv's in the delivery room.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
The running joke was that she was going to go into labor in the middle of the superbowl and make me stand there with one of those little tv's in the delivery room.
When my wife was giving birth last March, my alma mater was kicking but in the NCAA basketball tournament. Here I was in the delivery room with her while the nurse gave us instructions for delivery, and me weaving back and forth trying to get a good view of the tv to watch the buzzer beating basket to seal the victory. I'm not really a sports nut, but my college doesn't go to the NCAA tournament very often (or win in the tournament). Luckily my wife and the nurse were basketball fans too. That, or the nurse was sympathetic to my needs, because she has a husband just like me.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Japan has figured out that people are needed to fund the programs for old people, so they are actually paying for folks to have babies.

I wonder when folks here recognize that immigrants are a postive instead of a negative? Especially the ones that fill all the unwanted low paying jobs.]
The reason the Japanese are paying Japanese to have babies is that they understand what some of us Americans apparently don't- immigrants are not the same as native babies.

The North Africans who are now mainly occupying themselves rioting in France and murdering in Holland are the children and grandchildren of those who came* “To do the jobs nobody wanted”. Now these descendents don’t want those jobs either, but are ill equipped to do any other jobs.

We have done such a splendid job of integrating the African American population into mainstream working America, what makes you think we will do any better with Latinos? Or that anybody could do any better? Looking around the world, I don’t see any instances of successful integration of large, ethnically and language distinct groups into a modern industrial economy or society. But hey, I am always ready to learn- so maybe you would like to help me find one or two?

Ha
Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #9

HaHA, reality is that Society as it is will be forced to change to reflect the fact that the immigrants no longer come from Europe and no longer have similar Histories , Religion , and Culture to what was here, but are totally differant and society must change to reflect that.

I am Anglo Irish, live in Canada, hate the Yankees, love the Raptors, would have more in common with an O'Reilly in Boston than Mohammad El Salim in Toronto, and Mohammad would have more in common with someone from his region living in Anne Arbor.

What is an American, what is a Canadian, we are all Immigrants, some of us just got here first.

America, Love it or Leave it, no longer applies.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
What is an American, what is a Canadian, we are all Immigrants, some of us just got here first.

America, Love it or Leave it, no longer applies.
Couldn't have said it better.

Irish, Italians, Asians, all immigrants at one point - all successful now. It won't be long before Latinos are added to that list. Maybe not 100% assimilated into our melting pot, but each of those groups participates in society and benefits from it.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

>> Looking around the world, I don’t see any instances of successful integration of large, ethnically and language distinct groups

-At least 500,000 Germans immigrated in the first half of the 19th century. 20,000 came in the years 1816-1817, fleeing a famine. Some 61,000 fled to America after the failed Revolutions of 1848.

-Between 1850 and 1930 about 5 million Germans immigrated to the United States with a peak in the years between 1881 and 1885, when a million Germans left Germany and settled mostly in the Midwest.

-Between 1840 and 1930, about 900,000 French Canadians left Canada to emigrate to the United States and settled mainly in New England.

-The years 1910 to 1920 were the highpoint of Italian immigration to the United States. Over 2 million Italians immigrated in those years, with a total of 5.3 million immigrating between 1820 and 1980.

-About 1 million Swedes immigrated to the United States within this period, due to famine, poverty and religious oppression in Sweden. This accounted for around 20% of the total population of Sweden at that time. Most of them where from the southern parts of Sweden and settled mainly in the Midwest after their arrival in America. Minnesota in particular has a large proportion of people with Swedish ancestry.

Seems these groups all integrated fairly well into America...no?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd
>> Looking around the world, I don’t see any instances of successful integration of large, ethnically and language distinct groups

-At least 500,000 Germans immigrated in the first half of the 19th century. 20,000 came in the years 1816-1817, fleeing a famine. Some 61,000 fled to America after the failed Revolutions of 1848.

-Between 1850 and 1930 about 5 million Germans immigrated to the United States with a peak in the years between 1881 and 1885, when a million Germans left Germany and settled mostly in the Midwest.

-Between 1840 and 1930, about 900,000 French Canadians left Canada to emigrate to the United States and settled mainly in New England.

-The years 1910 to 1920 were the highpoint of Italian immigration to the United States. Over 2 million Italians immigrated in those years, with a total of 5.3 million immigrating between 1820 and 1980.

-About 1 million Swedes immigrated to the United States within this period, due to famine, poverty and religious oppression in Sweden. This accounted for around 20% of the total population of Sweden at that time. Most of them where from the southern parts of Sweden and settled mainly in the Midwest after their arrival in America. Minnesota in particular has a large proportion of people with Swedish ancestry.

Seems these groups all integrated fairly well into America...no?
Don't forget the millions of Irish, Czechs, Portoguese, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Indians... You embarassed enough now, Ha, or should I keep going?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
The reason the Japanese are paying Japanese to have babies is that they understand what some of us Americans apparently don't- immigrants are not the same as native babies.

The North Africans who are now mainly occupying themselves rioting in France and murdering in Holland are the children and grandchildren of those who came* “To do the jobs nobody wanted”. Now these descendents don’t want those jobs either, but are ill equipped to do any other jobs.

We have done such a splendid job of integrating the African American population into mainstream working America, what makes you think we will do any better with Latinos? Or that anybody could do any better? Looking around the world, I don’t see any instances of successful integration of large, ethnically and language distinct groups into a modern industrial economy or society. But hey, I am always ready to learn- so maybe you would like to help me find one or two?

Ha
Hello Ha. Naturally I thought the post you responded too was a little
wacky. OTOH, I believe the USA is in decline generally and this
(wide open borders) will just be one of many factors to bring
on disruption/disintegration eventually. I sure hope you
youngsters are takin' notes, so maybe someday your kids can
say "Hey, my Dad knew a guy on an on-line forum who
said this would happen some day."

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hello Ha. Naturally I thought the post you responded too was a little
wacky. OTOH, I believe the USA is in decline generally and this
(wide open borders) will just be one of many factors to bring
on disruption/disintegration eventually. I sure hope you
youngsters are takin' notes, so maybe someday your kids can
say "Hey, my Dad knew a guy on an on-line forum who
said this would happen some day."

JG
Or you could be wrong, like a lot of other folks in history. People that opposed women's rights, civil rights, Hitler......... etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #15

I thought you were laissez faire JG? Anti-government regulations? It seems regulating and restricting the entry of immigrants is, well, government regulations and interference in the free pursuit of happiness of individuals. And I thought you were diametrically opposed to all forms of government regulation. You're a downright commie, you know

I don't have the heart to tell my daughter, whose mother was a poor immigrant, that immigrants are the root of all evil and will be the downfall of US civilization as we know it.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #16

Those who often speak of closing Borders really mean to say that the borders should be closed to certain people.

I guarantee if you said should we stop Irish, English, Italians from coming, the answer would be No, but pick other Geographical regions where there are people of colour o r differant religious followings, those are where they want Immigration limited..

I'm of Irish background, no other country has supplied as many Immigants to Australia, the States, NewZealand, England, and my forebearers certainly ran head long into those who wanted closed borders.

In Canada we say, for very mile of Rail Way Track, there was a dead Chinaman, they got the dangerous jobs but were treated worse than pack horses.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
In Canada we say, for very mile of Rail Way Track, there was a dead Chinaman, they got the dangerous jobs but were treated worse than pack horses.
I thought metric measurements were predominantly used in Canada. In metric units, shouldn't the saying be "for every kilometre of railway track, there was 0.6 dead Chinamen?"
Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well boys (other than JG), I can't spell it out for you if you can't figure it out. I say we should do what any other sane society does- there should be a net worth or education/job skills requirement. No nationality or color requirement. No wonder many of the Latinos who come here can’t learn English- in over 400 years many of them have yet to learn Spanish.

When people who think like you have totally screwed up this country, I hope I am rich enough to move to Switzerland.

Ha
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #19

Ha,

Someone must have highjacked your moniker. This does not sound like you.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

CT- dunno- maybe I am having a bad day.

Ha