Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Japanese Earthquale Debris Headed For Hawaii
Old 10-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Administrator

Japanese Earthquale Debris Headed For Hawaii

A potential problem for a community that depends on beautiful beaches. It could also be costly to deal with.
Quote:
Televisions, fridges and furniture pieces are heading for Hawaii, as a huge amount of debris from Japan’s earthquake sails across the Pacific.
Up to 20 million tons of debris from the earthquake in March is traveling faster than expected and could reach the U.S. West Coast in three years.
A Russian ship’s crew spotted the debris - which included a 20ft long fishing boat - last month after passing the Midway Islands.
Read more: Japan earthquake and tsunami: 20m tons of debris closing in on Hawaii | Mail Online
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Must be a slow news day. They're rediscovering history, and it's pretty much the same on all of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands:
Research - Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge
Quote:
In 2000, marine debris efforts recovered approximately 27,200 lbs. of marine debris from our lagoon, reefs, and beaches. In 2000, the Refuge was awarded a challenge grant to support our Marine Entanglement Debris Clean-up project from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. A staff member from Midway Atoll was the USFWS representative and participated in the Interagency Marine Debris Recovery Cruise in 2000. The 28-day cruise was very successful with the recovery of 25 tons of net, rope, and line from Kure, Midway, and Pearl and Hermes Atolls. The 2001 marine debris recovery efforts netted 18,795 lbs. of debris. In 2008, the USCG and NOAA assisted Midway staff with the collection and removal; of nearly 20,000 pounds of marine debris from the atoll. Collection of debris continues and current studies are looking at the direct impact nets and other debris have on Midway's coral reefs.
Of course when the stuff starts washing ashore in Lanikai there will perhaps be a slightly different response than if it washes ashore in Mokuleia or Waianae...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Of course when the stuff starts washing ashore in Lanikai there will perhaps be a slightly different response than if it washes ashore in Mokuleia or Waianae...
I understand it's a source of material for the weekend garage sale ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember when a container of NIKE footwear broke off a ship in high seas and shoes escaped. It was a game to try to find mates. Some finders sent them to campus, a contest ensued for the best decorated sea-shoe.

That episode was not the result of a disaster so I doubt that this will morph into a game. It is possible that some of the material will be salvageable if transported to the right market but it will need to be retrieved while still at sea.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is interesting:
Quote:
Japan is struggling in part because tourists are worried about visiting, so the country's tourist board is giving away 10,000 free flights.
A few years ago, we started seeing what looked like hospital trash on Waimanalo beach, and then after a year or so, it stopped. It was very irritating, but only to locals, since hardly any tourists use this beach. I'm sure not looking forward to the Japan detritus arriving.