Japanese Emperor May FIRE

I was misinformed

Recycles dryer sheets
Retirement is becoming fashionable even for holders of jobs that for centuries came with the expectation that the incumbent would die in service. First Pope Benedict a few years ago and now Emperor Akihito

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20160713_34/

Quoting Wikipedia "Japan is the oldest continuing hereditary monarchy in the world.....Akihito is the 125th monarch to occupy the Chrysanthemum Throne. The extant historical records only reach back to Emperor Ōjin, who is considered to have reigned into the early 4th century." Apparently Emperors in the distant past have abidicated but not in the last couple of centuries.

Last edited:
Same in Belgium and the Netherlands.

It's the new trend of the 2010s :)

He may "retire early" but how do we know he's FI? FI and RE are two separate considerations...

He may "retire early" but how do we know he's FI? FI and RE are two separate considerations...

He's 82, so I don't thing that even qualifies for RE either (though I realize anything pre-death is considered early for a monarchy).

Same in Belgium and the Netherlands.

It's the new trend of the 2010s :)

+1

Even the last Pope RE'd.

Every time something like this happens I expect that Prince Charles sends his mother a link to the story.

A good point. He is not used to LBYM I imagine and may not even have a personal bank account, let alone a brokerage account. I expect he hopes his son will take care of him....

A good point. He is not used to LBYM I imagine and may not even have a personal bank account, let alone a brokerage account. I expect he hopes his son will take care of him....

I really don't think he'll have anything to worry about.

Nah, he will be fine.

Perhaps Japan's SS system allows people to delay and accrue more benefits past the age of 70, and up to the emperor age of 82.

This, plus the fact that he's way down the Bernicke's spending slope.

Still, should we suggest that he runs FIRECalc once more, using the latest portfolio value? The Japanese are known for their longevity, so a 30-year run starting at 82 is not at all unreasonable.

Last edited:
Every time something like this happens I expect that Prince Charles sends his mother a link to the story.

Hi Mum is enjoying outliving prime ministers. As of today, she's on #13.

Most of her fellow monarchs, too. I think only the king of Thailand has been on the throne longer, and his health seems not to be as robust as hers.

Maybe the Emperor got a better offer somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom