Jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara

bpp3

Recycles dryer sheets
Was nostalgically exploring some of the music of my childhood on YouTube (Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, all that 70's jazz fusion stuff), and stumbled upon what appears to be the new kid on the block, Hiromi Uehara. She sounds like Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett rolled into one, and has a backing band that sounds like the 21st-century reincarnation of Return to Forever. Holy cow. Anybody else heard of her?

OAP, you out there? You got to check this out. Right up your alley, if I am not mistaken.

Was nostalgically exploring some of the music of my childhood on YouTube (Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, all that 70's jazz fusion stuff), and stumbled upon what appears to be the new kid on the block, Hiromi Uehara. She sounds like Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett rolled into one, and has a backing band that sounds like the 21st-century reincarnation of Return to Forever. Holy cow. Anybody else heard of her?

OAP, you out there? You got to check this out. Right up your alley, if I am not mistaken.
I saw her live at the jazz bakery in los angeles recently.
great stuff. she had
David ‘Fuze’ Fiuczynski, with her also. David was the guest guitarist on her latest album.
He was amazing as well.

ERD50: The Chick Corea duet was how I discovered her. They apparently have another duet concert planned soon.

Another couple of good songs are If:

YouTube - if/上原ひろみ

and XYZ:

YouTube - Hiromi Uehara - XYZ

(I like the YouTube viewer's comment that she played he piano so hard, she should have just picked it up and smashed it afterwards.)

mh: All the people playing with her seem really good, and they all play well together. It would be nice to get the chance to see them live. For now I'll have to go CD shopping.

And there I was at one point thinking the kids these days don't know how to make music anymore...

Saw her at a awards ceremony banquet in Little Tokyo. She was very good. My Sensei was being recognized for something or other. The emcee was George Takei (Mr Sulu). What a great voice! Had forgotten about that night. Thanks for helping me with my CRS.

bpp3, you mean "into" fusion Jazz or young Asian women?

I'm out there, way out there! And still irreverent. Rock'em Twaddle:bat:

Just missed having a NYC building collapse on me at 53rd and 7th. And was listening to my iPhone with this play list including Hiromi Uehara.
Jossquin dez Pres - de Beata Virgine
Amy Whinehouse – Rehab
Walter Trout - Got to Kill the Monkey
Wilson Pickett/Duane Allman – Hey Jude
Hiromi Uehara – Green Tea Farm
BunnyBrunel- The Watcher
Beck – Scarecrow
Guitar Shorty – Let My Guitar do the Talking
Les McCann – Compared to What
Kieth Jarrett and Joshua Redman – Wait No Longer
Dire Straits – Sultans of Swing

I once mistakenly searched Google for Hi Roomy Japanese Jazz. Don't go there.:cool:

Last edited:
Twaddle, with all irreverence aside, I believe a new group is forming. The Twaddle Heads.

Keeping with the jazz thread, I'm at the Iridium club at Wednesday's John Patitucci performance and rumor is Hiromi Uehara may show up to play soon.

Clinton was there two weeks ago then had dinner at Mars 2112 across the street and ole Angelina was the dinner partner.

bpp3, you mean "into" fusion Jazz or young Asian women?

You've talked about seeing Stanley Clarke and Al Di Meola perform, and one might have inferred a thing or two about some of your other interests along the way, so I figured the combination would get your interest. I should also have figured that you would already be on top of this story.

I'm out there, way out there! And still irreverent.
Great to hear from you again.

Les McCann – Compared to What
Ooooh, choice flashback. Thanks. Another one for the shopping list.

tangomonster: Thanks for the Eldar clips. That kid is nuts.

Last edited:
Twaddle, with all irreverence aside, I believe a new group is forming. The Twaddle Heads.

Keeping with the jazz thread, I'm at the Iridium club at Wednesday's John Patitucci performance and rumor is Hiromi Uehara may show up to play soon.

Clinton was there two weeks ago then had dinner at Mars 2112 across the street and ole Angelina was the dinner partner.

Since you are referring to the NY area , note that
Hiromi is playing in new jersey somewhere soon (oct). check her website
for more info.

You've talked about seeing Stanley Clarke and Al Di Meola perform, and one might have inferred a thing or two about some of your other interests along the way, so I figured the combination would get your interest. I should also have figured that you would already be on top of this story.

bpp3, your headsup was appreciated. Good new jazz talent is rare but luckily Chick Corea, et al, did influence a lot of us to want more than Rap and Country. Hmmm Country Rap, naah.

If Hiromi does play here, I'll def be there.

mh, thanks for that tip, I may see about some tickets.

HFWR,
ahhh, that was an inspiration. Hey thanks, looks like Zappa is at the Beacon for a show. Watermelon in Eastern Hay. Joe's imaginary guitar notes.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom