Join Early Retirement Today

Jeep Sale!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Jeep Sale!

I'll probably wait a year or so but have been thinking about getting a SUV or Crossover.

I emailed a few Jeep dealerships in my area that are going under and a couple quoted the Patriot at ~$13,500. Of course I'd be hesitant to buy a Jeep under the current circumstances but if I could get one for around $12,000 that would be tempting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Of course I'd be hesitant to buy a Jeep under the current circumstances
If I had a local mechanic I trusted to work on Jeeps, I wouldn't be too concerned (assuming I was otherwise in the market for a Jeep at the right price). I really don't expect to see the market for parts completely evaporate. My biggest concern would be, where is the closest dealership that is NOT going under if I need warranty work performed?

Most Jeeps I've seen have had fairly terrible reliability ratings from Consumer Reports, and even though I think they are somewhat biased against American car makers, these bad results go way beyond a moderate bias in most cases.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Most Jeeps I've seen have had fairly terrible reliability ratings from Consumer Reports, and even though I think they are somewhat biased against American car makers, these bad results go way beyond a moderate bias in most cases.
Yep, Chrystler is at the bottom as far as reliability. Surprisingly though the Patriot rates Very Good in consumer reports for predicted reliability. The 07 and 08 models got reliability ratings of excellent for all categories except in 2 categories where the rating was very good.

Maybe I'll check one out tomorrow just for fun. I've never been in a Patriot but rode in a Compass and the interior seemed pretty cheap. Another knock on them is the anemic engine.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, Chrystler is at the bottom as far as reliability. Surprisingly though the Patriot rates Very Good in consumer reports for predicted reliability. The 07 and 08 models got reliability ratings of excellent for all categories except in 2 categories where the rating was very good.

Maybe I'll check one out tomorrow just for fun. I've never been in a Patriot but rode in a Compass and the interior seemed pretty cheap. Another knock on them is the anemic engine.
Jeep has the best reliability of the Chrysler lines. Plus, there are LOTS of independent shops that work on them all the time.

Was the $12,000 for a NEw or used Jeep? That sounds very low for a new one......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Plus, there are LOTS of independent shops that work on them all the time.
True, but while the vehicle is under warranty, you usually have to take it to a dealer for service. If it starts acting up, you may not want to take it 80 miles from home to the nearest dealer because the three that were closer to you all closed up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 05-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I
I do like CR, however their car survey is not a proper statistical survey.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
True, but while the vehicle is under warranty, you usually have to take it to a dealer for service. If it starts acting up, you may not want to take it 80 miles from home to the nearest dealer because the three that were closer to you all closed up.

Good point- and their high-margin pickup truck sales will really suffer in many rural areas if they can't get local service support. What rancher will buy a Dodge truck if he has to drive (or have it towed) a hundred miles (and past three Ford Dealers) to the nearest Dodge dealer for warranty service?

Looks like they are re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic to me...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Good point- and their high-margin pickup truck sales will really suffer in many rural areas if they can't get local service support. What rancher will buy a Dodge truck if he has to drive (or have it towed) a hundred miles (and past three Ford Dealers) to the nearest Dodge dealer for warranty service?
Ford has to be thinking they'll be in really good position if they can weather the next year or two without bankruptcy talk or bailout money...

Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ford has strong sales (relatively) in Europe and I would imagine that helps tremendously even when U.S. sales are bad. In Europe, Ford is known as a reliable car for a decent price. You'd think they'd offer more of their smaller range of cars in the U.S.

Three of the top 10 selling cars in the UK are Fords:
BBC NEWS | Business | UK car sales 24% lower in April

Ford of Europe expected to remain profitable through 2009 - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

Ford Strengthens European Market Share In 2008, Becomes Second Best-Selling Brand | webnewswire.com

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Of course I'd be hesitant to buy a Jeep under the current circumstances ...
If you want a Jeep and can get one cheap - go for it. I've had 4 jeeps since 1995 and I dont consider the Jeep reliability to be as bad as critics are saying.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
You'd think they'd offer more of their smaller range of cars in the U.S.
This seems to have occurred to their new CEO. They will be bringing a number of cars to the US, including the Fiesta and the Transit Connect. The latter looks like an interesting vehicle that has the potential to be a category killer in the US if they do it right.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This seems to have occurred to their new CEO. They will be bringing a number of cars to the US, including the Fiesta and the Transit Connect. The latter looks like an interesting vehicle that has the potential to be a category killer in the US if they do it right.
I think the European Ford Fusion would do well. Kind of a cross between a small family / mini-suv.

http://www.caradisiac.com/media/imag...ion-01cbig.jpg

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked out the Patriot today. They had all of the Patriots lined up across from the Grand Cherokees which definitely made the Patriots look less appealing. The base package didn't have power winders or locks which is a little disappointing. It drove pretty nice although could use a little more power. If I was in the market for a new car I'd give it more consideration but I wasn't impressed enough want to buy it.