Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Jerry Falwell dead
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
as i already said, the s.o.b. term had nothing to do with his mother.
Then direct your comments at him and not at him being the son of a "bitch." Perhaps, unthinkingly, you just used the term "sob" as a general put down. But, think about it, why bring someone's mother into it? Why use a term to critique someone that includes another, unknown by you, person?

I'm quite thick skinned (obviously, since I receive a ton of mean spirited attacks here) about various comments on this board. But I do draw the line at drawing family into the discourse.

Why not simply use some other disparaging term than "sob" if you don't actually mean you think the person referred to is the son of a "bitch?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
So its ok for you to do it but not ok for someone else? Wow double standard there sweetcakes.
ubet attacked me based on her misunderstanding that i attacked falwell's mother which i most certainly did not. s.o.b. is a generic term having nothing to do with anyone's mother. it was completely wrong for ubet to bring my mother into this argument just to make her point about how she feels about family. and if she has read anything i've ever written, she knows how strongly i feel about family and she would never have attacked in that way. so there must be other motive at work. she could not have been more wrong to try to characterize me in that way as a stepping stone for her own agenda.

i think i once wrote that i will not take being sucker punched lying down. what here do you see, mwsinron, that i have done that i have said no one should do? and the next time you call me sweetcakes, you buy me dinner first.

edit: ubet, i had no idea you are thick skinned, i had no idea you've been attacked. as i write, i try to keep in mind the audience who might read what i have written but as i am not omniscient, it would be quite difficult for me to know what particular word might set someone off. had i known i could haved used the world bastard instead of s.o.b. but then maybe bastard would have set someone else off. i guess someone else might have thought that i didn't think his mother was married when she birthed the s.o.b. (relax, it's just three letters, not a reference to his mother, not even a word.)

knowing now what set you off, i do apologize for the rectal reference. but your misunderstanding does not give you permission to make a personal attack on me. while i might challenge someone's ideas, i don't believe that before you defiled the good memory of my mother that i ever personally attacked you. apparently unknown to mwsinron, i expect similar treatment.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
s.o.b. is a generic term having nothing to do with anyone's mother.
Lots or hurtful, mean spirited terms, turn out to be inappropriate. Attack Falwell if you wish, but why not use terms that do not depend on the status of his mother as a bitch to baseline his status in your mind?

Enough of this. I've read literally dozens and dozens of your posts and will gladly believe that your choice of words, although thoughtless and inappropriate, was not an attack on Falwell's family, who I consider out of bounds until shown to be guilty on their own account. I feel this way about everyone's family members.

Peace.

youbet

Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #44

Mwsinron.
As a fellow unstable poster, thanks for adding "unstableness" to this thread.

Gosh, what a miserable thread. Posters revealing "true" self because a right-wing preacher died. I was not in the US since 1990 so he is not very familiar to me but the out pouring of hatred in the posts and gleeful joy at his death, wow, kinda sickening.

I do not disagree with Bin Laden with regards to his vision of Muslim (Islamic) disagreements on the West's infringement on Islamic countries.

Likewise, I don't harbor many grudges against the opposed views of right wing Christians. I am agnostic so none of this enrages me to the point of spewing hatred.

But comparing Falwell (unless I missed his call to mass suicide attacks) to Bin Laden is like comparing Martin Luther to Hitler. How embarrassing for that poster is now revealed terribly for who they really are. Can they even post here again with any respect? Gosh, what a sad thread.

And all the other dancing and joyous death posts from posters with handicapped children, dying or senile parents, etc. How can anyone enjoy the death of another so happily to take time to put it into posterity.

I've never liked cats, but seeing one die is still sad to me. Guess, hatred can be an elixor. Enjoy the death, you deserve it.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Mwsinron.
As a fellow unstable poster, thanks for adding "unstableness" to this thread.

Gosh, what a miserable thread. Posters revealing "true" self because a right-wing preacher died. I was not in the US since 1990 so he is not very familiar to me but the out pouring of hatred in the posts and gleeful joy at his death, wow, kinda sickening.

I do not disagree with Bin Laden with regards to his vision of Muslim (Islamic) disagreements on the West's infringement on Islamic countries.

Likewise, I don't harbor many grudges against the opposed views of right wing Christians. I am agnostic so none of this enrages me to the point of spewing hatred.

But comparing Falwell (unless I missed his call to mass suicide attacks) to Bin Laden is like comparing Martin Luther to Hitler. How embarrassing for that poster is now revealed terribly for who they really are. Can they even post here again with any respect? Gosh, what a sad thread.

And all the other dancing and joyous death posts from posters with handicapped children, dying or senile parents, etc. How can anyone enjoy the death of another so happily to take time to put it into posterity.

I've never liked cats, but seeing one die is still sad to me. Guess, hatred can be an elixor. Enjoy the death, you deserve it.

Right you cant compare one guy who put down American citizens . With one asshole who killed over 5000. Not apples to apples. Its more like figs to ****en watermelons.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Right you cant compare one guy who put down American citizens . With one asshole who killed over 5000. Not apples to apples. Its more like figs to ****en watermelons.
Ah, but Fox News has no problem condemning, and we have no problem jailing, Muslim Imams who "encurage muslim youth to wage jihad" on the western world. Yet Fallwell waged jihad on a large portion of Americans. The point is, many people feel his actions worked only to hurt people and this country, and are not sad to see him gone. Those of you quick to jump on this feeling as hypocricy, well, there is nothing to prevent people from only taking what they want from a conversation because it fits their world view. If you didn't see that Jerry was adding hate to the world before he died, you certianly won't see that now.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Ah, but Fox News has no problem condemning, and we have no problem jailing, Muslim Imams who "encurage muslim youth to wage jihad" on the western world. Yet Fallwell waged jihad on a large portion of Americans. The point is, many people feel his actions worked only to hurt people and this country, and are not sad to see him gone. Those of you quick to jump on this feeling as hypocricy, well, there is nothing to prevent people from only taking what they want from a conversation because it fits their world view. If you didn't see that Jerry was adding hate to the world before he died, you certianly won't see that now.
Cripes man the spell checkeeer is fairlly easy to use befoe yus go rantoing offs at us. If you are too ignorant to see the comparison then shut the **** up for crying out loud.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cripes man the spell checker is fairly easy to use befoe yus go ranting offs at us
Yes, I'm a terrible speller, and too lazy to open Word as this browser doesn't have the Google utility installed....but isn't the attack the spelling of the poster thing played out at this point?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Ah, but Fox News has no problem condemning, and we have no problem jailing, Muslim Imams who "encourage Muslim youth to wage jihad" on the western world. Yet Fallwell waged jihad on a large portion of Americans. The point is, many people feel his actions worked only to hurt people and this country, and are not sad to see him gone. Those of you quick to jump on this feeling as hypocrisy, well, there is nothing to prevent people from only taking what they want from a conversation because it fits their world view. If you didn't see that Jerry was adding hate to the world before he died, you certainly won't see that now.
Laurence - I can certainly understand the anger about this man's teachings. I don't agree with any of them. Comparing them to Muslim imams who advocate the death of all Americans is so far of a stretch that I think it makes you look a little silly however.

Having disagreements with a person's teachings does not make it right to gloat and celebrate the fact that a man died (at least in my book). You may not be religious, but in MY heart I have to believe that the creator looks down with severe disdain on anybody who celebrates another man's death. As for Khan's comment that they should be happy that he's headed to heaven. While they might believe that, you should know that most grieving is for those left behind, not those that died.

As for the commend on UBL and how all of us "right wingers" will be celebrating. when a man is a direct threat to humanity, he should be put down. That doesn't mean I would see any joy in it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #50
gone traveling

All religious extremists and yes Falwell was an extremist are and were dangerous.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
All religious extremists and yes Falwell was an extremist are and were dangerous.
Correct.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
ditto

He was also knowingly manipulative of the press and, in my opinion, people of faith.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #53

I'm willing to bet (but am too lazy to go back and search the archives) that a lot of those expressing outrage at the opinions expressed at Falwell's death were willing to express happiness when Saddam Hussein was hung. So is that hypocrisy? No matter how evil someone is, is bad to be happy when someone is "out of action?"
Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I'm willing to bet (but am too lazy to go back and search the archives) that a lot of those expressing outrage at the opinions expressed at Falwell's death were willing to express happiness when Saddam Hussein was hung.
I'll disagree with ya on that one. I think you're wrong.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Falwell was a public figure so personal criticisms are not unexpected.
So, for example, when people jump all over Micheal Moore here I also am not surprised. Or Rush Limbaugh. Or Al Franken.

But no one advances their position by being hurtful to other posters. Bringing up LGFNB's recently dead mother to critique his use of "s.o.b." is over the line. So is another poster saying "shut the **** up." So settle down.

If I had been around before, I would have edited these references out. But it is too late now.

EDIT: Apologies to Youbet, I didn't mean to imply you were the one who said "shut the **** up." I modified the language of my post accordingly.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Laurence - I can certainly understand the anger about this man's teachings. I don't agree with any of them. Comparing them to Muslim imams who advocate the death of all Americans is so far of a stretch that I think it makes you look a little silly however.

Having disagreements with a person's teachings does not make it right to gloat and celebrate the fact that a man died (at least in my book). You may not be religious, but in MY heart I have to believe that the creator looks down with severe disdain on anybody who celebrates another man's death. As for Khan's comment that they should be happy that he's headed to heaven. While they might believe that, you should know that most grieving is for those left behind, not those that died.

As for the commend on UBL and how all of us "right wingers" will be celebrating. when a man is a direct threat to humanity, he should be put down. That doesn't mean I would see any joy in it.
Internet boards naturally lead one to use extreme examples, but I think my point is still valid. As a Christian myself, when I read the Gospels I read about a Jesus that had dinner with sinners and wept over the bodies of murdered Roman soldiers (the oppressors of his people). Fallwell blamed 9/11 on gays and "abortionists". I feel for his family, and know they are grieving and wish nothing but the best for them. I also hope he was truly saved. But I also know how many times he has said and done things that lead to harm and left me having to defend my faith and explain my disagreement to angry friends and family. Even Billy Graham (whom I admire much more) chastised Fallwell for some of his vitriol. Fallwell and those like him even worked to divide Christian against Christian, Baptist against Catholic, etc. I'm sorry, but people who don't believe what he believes must speak up and not be cowed. When those he directly attacks shoot back, it only feeds into his world view that he spins to his followers about the groups he wants to marginalize. The most powerful critics are those who pass his litmus test for acceptability, namely heterosexual Christians, because it exposes the lie that "this is what REAL Christians believe." Oh sure, not to him, but to others who are watching this debate play out. Before the moral majority, Christians in America were seen to have a diverse set of veiws all over the political spectrum. Fallwell and others began a campaign that basically imposed a certain set of doctrines for you to be considered a "real Christian". Dissident views within the community were largely shut down. You need to look no further than the Republican debates when Presidential candidates all glumly raise their hand to say they believe in Creationism not Evolution, and all of a sudden every candidate who isn't firmly on the record otherwise (and even a couple who were) is firmly "pro-life". He made right wing Christians a politically powerful force in this country, to their benefit, but to the detriment of Christians who had other views. That legacy lives on today, with James Dobson calling for the resignation of Christian leaders in Washington lobbying groups for expressing concern for the environment. :P

So if your point is we shouldn't wish death on anyone, I wholeheartedly agree. If you are saying we should all weep for a man who I believe hurt this country and Christianity, I'm sorry my eyes will have to stay dry.

You would have made a far better leader and example than him in my book, Saluki!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I'll go further to say that I probably should not have participated on this thread in the first place, it's only damaging to expel energy on something so negative. We forgive others not just to forgive them but to free our own souls/minds from a burden. Something I need to work on.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #58

Quote:
I'll go further to say that I probably should not have participated on this thread in the first place, it's only damaging to expel energy on something so negative. We forgive others not just to forgive them but to free our own souls/minds from a burden. Something I need to work on.
laurence,

some people lay in wait under the delusion that they are the prideful lion stalking irreverent prey when they are but cowardly muggers hiding in dark for the unsuspecting. others whip out a witty line or two under the delusion that their response suggests significant thought, but they just gnats at sunset that get up your nose. you are neither of these. you are one who operates fully in the light of day. you are a kind and thoughtful man who offers much whether in the form of intellectual discourse, compassion, frustration or anger.

compassion comes in many forms. in buddhism there is the buddha of compassion who is all compassionate but also there is the wrathful buddha who is just as compassionate as the buddha of compassion. sometimes the appropriate response is anger. this is not the anger directed to hurt someone. this is not anger used to hit below the belt. this is the anger that comes from being hurt; not the anger used to hurt.

you do not have to deny your anger to cloak yourself in compassion. there is so much beauty to christian grace that i believe it will find its way through even your most unforgiving days. from what i have read of your works, i do not believe that you would ever purposely try to hurt someone without--as if it would ever be needed--quickly & self-directedly correcting yourself.

i for one hope that you will be able to continue to work on your faith while you also continue to be generous and genuine in sharing your deep felt thoughts, regardless of how they manifest.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

this is not hypocracy talking. this is the sound of disgust. how convenient to try to dismiss an argument by mislabeling it. what the people here are expressing is not hypocritical at all. it is simply critique.
You're kidding yourself if you think that all of this is not classic hypocrisy. I'm not picking on you in particular, so don't take it that way. What I've seen in this thread is as disgusting as anything that I ever heard from the mouth of Falwell, a guy that I personally thought was wrong at least 90% of the time that he spoke. I'm not a fan of his at all but the attitude in this thread is simply wrong.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
You right wing frauds make me laugh. If it was Bin Laden who died you'd be falling all over yourselves frothing at the mouth and hurling the same kind of invective.

Would Bin Laden deserve respect? Hell, no. And neither does Falwell.
The world is just better off without some people.

You hypocrites.
Personally, I'm neither right wing nor a fraud. Don't jump to the easy assumptions that way because they are usually wrong.