Join Early Retirement Today

Jetson Car Available in One Year
Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jetson Car Available in One Year

Finally a car that looks like what Popular Science said we'd be driving in the year 2000.

Aptera.jpg

The electric model is said to go 120 miles/charge. Lowest coefficient of drag of any car. Hybrid model said to get 230 MPG. Has special safety features. Cost: $28,000.

Aptera

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I sure hope the car's design is better than that web site. Ugh

Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I sure hope the car's design is better than that web site. Ugh
Geez, fire that 'creative' web designer, now. I guess they don't want to sell cars.

For a while, I thought it was some kind of gag, since after several minutes of various random scenes, there was zero info about a car. Ken Burn's effect slides and a short repetitive guitar thing that sounded like 'Blackbird'. I didn't get it.

So, when you turn the key, do you need to sit through a vacation slide show with background music before the car starts? Maybe that's how it gets such good mileage - the owner gets frustrated waiting, and gets out and walks?

A bit more digestible info here (but not much):

Aptera hybrid car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nickel-zinc battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

330 MPG! Aptera Hybrid Promises Amazing Mileage for Less Than $20,000

-ERD50
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Site was pretty bad. They tried to make it like an interactive commercial.

The ideas they are working with seem right. But I am not sure that the design (looks) of that car will be a success. I hope that is a prototype and not the real deal.

If they could turn it into a 4 wheel vehicle that looks a little more conventional that gets 150 mpg/hybrid.... they might have a successful venture.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the car, I think someone is burning through an inheritance or someone else's money.........
Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If they could turn it into a 4 wheel vehicle that looks a little more conventional that gets 150 mpg/hybrid.... they might have a successful venture.
Yes, going for super-high mileage can actually be counterproductive. Super-high mpg impacts the acceptability of the vehicle to the masses due to the constraints placed on them, so fewer people buy them and the math works against you.

At 10,000 miles a year, if you get someone to buy a 75MPG car vs a 35MPG car, you conserve 152 gallons annually.

At 10,000 miles a year, if you get someone to buy a 230MPG car vs a 35MPG car, you conserve 242 gallons annually. Only 90 more gallons conserved.

So, we are better off getting two people to convert to 75mpg vehicles (354 gallons conserved) than one person converted to a 230 MPG vehicle (242 MPG gallons conserved).

I think this was brought up on another thread, but the real gallons savings is to get the low/mid MPG vehicles improved, that is where the most actual savings can be realized.

Getting a 15 MPG driver to choose a 24 MPG vehicle saves more fuel than getting a 35 MPG driver to step up to some currently unavailable 230 MPG car.

35 MPG moved up to 230 MPG = 242 gallons saved over 10,000 miles.
15 MPG moved up to 24 MPG = 250 gallons saved over 10,000 miles.

There was a group that was sponsoring a high MPG car design contest, and they stressed that they were shooting for a 100 MPG design for this very reason. Very little gained going to 200 MPG and the negatives outweigh the positives, at least for now.

-ERD50
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

It's 3 wheel to be classified as a motorcycle, bypassing most federal and state safety requirements, and allowing driver only access in carpool lanes.

This one might actually survive. No exotic technology , and no bogus "Under $10,000" claims from some sim. small companies in the past.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Lithium Ion batteries would not be a good idea for cars.

Watts the Deal With Lithium-Ion Batteries?

Apparently, Lithium carbonate is mainly produced by China and Argentina.

Oh well. NiMH is looking much better.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Chevy Malibu has a hybrid. Here are the specs of the regular 4 cyl and the hybrid.

Hybrid 4cyl - (City/Hwy) 24/32 mpg
Regular 4cyl - (City/Hwy) 22/30 mpg

2008 Chevrolet Malibu specs, auto safety at Edmunds

With numbers like that... why bother?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Finally a car that looks like what Popular Science said we'd be driving in the year 2000.
Yeah, but where the $%&^ do you put the longboard?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, but where the $%&^ do you put the snowboard?!?
Exactly my problem, too!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Forget about your gas savings ... you'll blow thru that 10 fold trying to service the thing. Some how driving in a fig-leaf does not give me a warm-fuzzy feeling.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Chevy Malibu has a hybrid. Here are the specs of the regular 4 cyl and the hybrid.

Hybrid 4cyl - (City/Hwy) 24/32 mpg
Regular 4cyl - (City/Hwy) 22/30 mpg

With numbers like that... why bother?
I agree, the GM mild hybrids are a waste. But look at the Civic Hybrid with the 4 cylinder non hybrid at 30/40 (city / highway) and the full hybrid version at 49/51. One could argue that that is not even enough increased mileage for a reasonable payback period, but using the mild hybrids as an example may distort the potential of hybrids.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2007.pdf
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Jetson Car Available in One Year?

Year is up! Even a 3 month grace period. Where's the car?

How about.... 'next year'?

Why electric cars have stalled - Aptera's speed bumps (3) - Small Business
Quote:
Aptera, which makes an electric, two-seat, three-wheel model, said last year it would ship 4,000 of its cars by November 2008, ramping up to 10,000 in 2009. Instead, the company ran into design problems.

By the end of next year, Aptera hopes to ship cars to the 3,600 customers who have already paid a $500 deposit (the cars will sell for around $30,000).
-ERD50
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #15

The next big breakthrough in electric car technology is virtually always 1-2 years away.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The next big breakthrough in electric car technology is virtually always 1-2 years away.
That's why the EPA always feels confident they can ban things there is currently no replacement for. Sure they can't make that product anymore now, but that breakthrough is going to happen in a year when it goes into effect anyway.

Namely flame retardants in plastics. They've banned any of the effective clear ones. Caused me 6 months of hassle for a part we ended up having to just ask for a waiver on a couple safety requirements as it was no longer possible to meet them. sure more people might die from the fires but at least if they decide to start prying up the floor and eating it they'll be perfectly safe.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

10 Electric Cars You Can Buy Today | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, going for super-high mileage can actually be counterproductive. Super-high mpg impacts the acceptability of the vehicle to the masses due to the constraints placed on them, so fewer people buy them and the math works against you.

At 10,000 miles a year, if you get someone to buy a 75MPG car vs a 35MPG car, you conserve 152 gallons annually.

At 10,000 miles a year, if you get someone to buy a 230MPG car vs a 35MPG car, you conserve 242 gallons annually. Only 90 more gallons conserved.

So, we are better off getting two people to convert to 75mpg vehicles (354 gallons conserved) than one person converted to a 230 MPG vehicle (242 MPG gallons conserved).

I think this was brought up on another thread, but the real gallons savings is to get the low/mid MPG vehicles improved, that is where the most actual savings can be realized.

Getting a 15 MPG driver to choose a 24 MPG vehicle saves more fuel than getting a 35 MPG driver to step up to some currently unavailable 230 MPG car.

35 MPG moved up to 230 MPG = 242 gallons saved over 10,000 miles.
15 MPG moved up to 24 MPG = 250 gallons saved over 10,000 miles.

There was a group that was sponsoring a high MPG car design contest, and they stressed that they were shooting for a 100 MPG design for this very reason. Very little gained going to 200 MPG and the negatives outweigh the positives, at least for now.

-ERD50
This is the latest debate it seems, MPG vs. G/100M. While it's true that the difference in SAVINGS are minimal, the difference in total usage is high. Using the given figures, 230 MPG uses about 10 pct of the gas used at 24 MPG to go the 10k; 43 gal vs. 416 gal.

Any business model proposing super high mileage cars needs to emphasize the long term fuel cost savings overall. Here, you're getting a 375 gal premium at the high MPG.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc View Post
This is the latest debate it seems, MPG vs. G/100M. While it's true that the difference in SAVINGS are minimal, the difference in total usage is high. Using the given figures, 230 MPG uses about 10 pct of the gas used at 24 MPG to go the 10k; 43 gal vs. 416 gal.

Any business model proposing super high mileage cars needs to emphasize the long term fuel cost savings overall. Here, you're getting a 375 gal premium at the high MPG.
I think you are missing the point.

Sure, some super-high mpg figure means we are using only a little gas, but that is just an arithmetic exercise. The goal is, how do you reduce consumption overall in the real world?

And making 230mpg cars that few want to buy doesn't accomplish as much as making 75mpg cars that more people buy. You can't just 'wish' for high mpg, you have to produce a vehicle that can deliver it, with a price, performance and features that people want.

Auto technology is just too well understood to expect some miracle. So we need to go for incremental improvements, and just eliminate miles driven through public transport, telecommuting, car-pooling, etc.

-ERD50
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Except all are either NEV's (restricted to roads with 35mph speed limits), very expensive and/or available only in CA or other countries. But it's a start, as someone who would like to have one conventional car and one electric or other very high mpg commuter, I am looking forward to something affordable that can run on highways. The Volt is conceptually there, but time will tell...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote