Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I vaguely remember hearing the news while on the bus coming home from HS. The whole weekend was spent watching TV. My memory is that I saw Oswald shot on live TV although that scene was replayed so often that it could be a false memory. I felt a little guilty for getting a slight frisson when it was announced on TV that there would be no school on Monday for the funeral and national day of mourning. Anyone old enough to remember getting excused from work that day?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #22

I was in 8th grade art class when the school piped in a radio broadcast of the shooting. What I remember most was how upset all the school staff was and how quiet things became. I think we were dismissed early but don't remember exactly. We lived close enough to school that I walked about a mile to and from.

My father disliked Kennedy intensely and my mother was much more tolerant but both were clearly upset by the news. I don't remember being upset by it much since I didn't understand the significance and never paid much attention to politics then anyway.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was in 9th grade and in the guidance counselor's office toward the end of the school day when the news came in at the principals office. They sent me back to my class, where I announced what happened. The teacher says to me, if this is your idea of a joke, its not very funny. Then an announcement came over the loud speaker and school was dismissed.

My parents were not Kennedy supporters, but we all felt such a horrible sense of loss and love for the President and his family. We were glued to the TV for days, as we got our first exposure to non-stop media coverage. This was certainly a turning point for America and I think everyone felt more vulnerable thereafter.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Was in Mrs. Johnson's fourth grade class. Without comment, the principal just turned the intercom onto a radio broadcast.

To paraphrase Don Henley, that was the end of the innocence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #25

I was in the 3rd grade in Oceanside, CA. They made an announcement on the PA. Everyone was quiet. The next day, they cancelled school but there was very little traffic on the streets and the kids did not play outside. I remember wondering why and then making the connection that it had to do with the president's assassination. That was the first time I remember looking at a newspaper.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

To paraphrase Don Henley, that was the end of the innocence...
Turned out this event was just getting us inoculated for the next few years, especially 1968.

For JFKs funeral, since we lived in northern VA, we went to watch the funeral procession. Except my dad had this idea that to avoid crowds, we should go in through the back of Arlington Cemetery to behind where the grave was to get a better view. So here is my family, sitting up the hill, in some trees, behind the various luminaries and speakers at the gravesite. I'm fairly sure no one would be allowed to wander like that in today's environment.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I was in second grade in a Catholic school in a Chicago suburb. I remember that the nun turned the TV on--yes, we were "advanced" enough in that school to have TVs mounted on those wobbly metal stands. She began crying. I was most impressed by the fact that the nun was crying, and not the event of JFK's shooting.

Interesting time, to grow up in Chicago in that volatile time. It certainly shaped me in major ways.

I was in 3rd grade at a Catholic school in Chicago (Englewood). I remember a nun coming into the class room to tell us of the tragic news and that we were allowed to go home for the day.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in 7th grade and had just returned from lunch when the announcement came over the loudspeaker. Like others I was glued to the tv all weekend. The strongest remembrance I had of the funeral was how stark the trees looked with no leaves on them. It was as if even nature was in mourning. In contrast I remember them discussing whether Sunday's NFL games should be played. I also remember Thanksgiving and Christmas had a pall over them as if you had recently lost a family member. I remember all the events of those few days as if they just happened last week.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #29

I was in 3rd grade. The principal came over the intercom and asked all the teachers to come down to the office. My teacher left and when she came back we could tell she had been crying. She was a very calm, prim and proper woman and she just carried on for the rest of the afternoon, but we could tell she was rattled. Just before it was time to go home she told all of us that all after school activities were canceled and that everyone should go straight home. I was disappointed because I was supposed to go to a Brownie meeting and had my uniform on.

On the way home I heard some of the older kids talking about Kennedy being killed and my first thought was about his wife and very young kids. When I got home my Mom had the TV on and was crying. I remember sitting on the floor and watching the news and how nothing else was on. My Dad was a roofing salesman and he came home much earlier than usual.

I was into horses as an 8 year old girl so that's what I was watching during the funeral. I remember the riderless horse with the boots turned backward. If my Mom cried, I cried and we talked about how strong Jackie was.

I also think I saw Oswald getting shot live, but that may be skewed by how many times that's been replayed.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Turned out this event was just getting us inoculated for the next few years, especially 1968.
Boy howdy...

I was unaware of the McCarthy-era, the anti-communism, the Cuban missile crisis, segregation, the fact that Kennedy was a Catholic, etc. Lots of stuff going on in the background that a 9-yo kid from Indiana wouldn't necessarily know...

Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Lots of people in their 50s here. What do you remember of that day in Dallas? I was too young to fully understand what had happened, so primarily recall my parents being upset.
I'm 54, but I remember it.

Why? We were in Germany, and German visitors coming and crying with my parents made a huge impression on me. Also, we didn't have a TV, but I remember that someone brought a black-and-white TV over which also made an impression. I clearly remember how the room looked and where the TV was and a key scene on that TV.

Someone recently told me I couldn't possibly remember at such a young age, but I think you can remember things that make a strong impression even if you are very young.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #32

I was in 4th grade. The school janitor (who we thought was sooo cool because he listened to a transistor radio with an earjack) came into the class and told the teacher. We were all sent home without a mention. Other kids met our bus and told us what happened.

I was also watching the moment that Oswald was shot.

Being kids, we were happy when we heard that school was cancelled as a day of mourning but mom immediately set us straight on the situation.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm 54, but I remember it.

Why? We were in Germany, and German visitors coming and crying with my parents made a huge impression on me. Also, we didn't have a TV, but I remember that someone brought a black-and-white TV over which also made an impression. I clearly remember how the room looked and where the TV was and a key scene on that TV.

Someone recently told me I couldn't possibly remember at such a young age, but I think you can remember things that make a strong impression even if you are very young.
Absolutely! I was born in 1948, but I very clearly remember a ticker tape parade for President Eisenhower, that was on the TV in our classroom when I was in pre-school. It must have been right after he won the election in 1952 since that was the only year when I attended pre-school. It made a big impression on me because (being only four) I thought President Eisenhower must be the most wonderful person in the world to be honored in a parade like that. I get what you are saying.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Not to get off topic, but....
Maybe it's me, but I can remember being in my crib, being in my carriage, crawling/being carried (because I couldn't walk), not being able to talk yet, all sorts of stuff from a very young age.

Not everything mind you, but I have tons of memories from when I was 1 and 2 years old, very clear, vivid and confirm-able.

Is it just me? DW thinks I"m crazy, but mom confirms these things.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Maybe it's me, but I can remember being in my crib, being in my carriage, crawling/being carried (because I couldn't walk), not being able to talk yet, all sorts of stuff from a very young age.

Not everything mind you, but I have tons of memories from when I was 1 and 2 years old, very clear, vivid and confirm-able.

I can only remember lots of bits and pieces of my life before starting elementary school.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Me too. I can remember all of those things too, especially my crib and not being able to walk yet. I can remember being set in the middle of the living room floor, with nobody nearby, and not being able to walk so feeling lonely (According to my mother I was walking easily by age 1, and not in the crib much after that either so these memories must have been prior to my first birthday). I remember not even knowing who my father was and being scared by him, because my bedtime was before he got home from work and also he had been traveling a lot. I remember getting the mumps when I was one and a half. But those are personal memories, and might inherently have more impact on a toddler than would national events.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does anyone know what Jackie, John Jr., Caroline or Ted believed about Oswald as the "lone gunman"? If they concluded that there was no conspiracy, that's good enough for me, considering their personal connection to JFK and their ability to get "inside info" we may not be privy to.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Does anyone know what Jackie, John Jr., Caroline or Ted believed about Oswald as the "lone gunman"? If they concluded that there was no conspiracy, that's good enough for me, considering their personal connection to JFK and their ability to get "inside info" we may not be privy to.
I remember VERY clearly that Jackie announce in an interview back in the 1960's that they knew all the details, but that it had to remain secret for now. She said that it would be placed in a time capsule and revealed many years in the future (maybe 2028? I don't remember but I know it was to be after the turn of the century but while I could still conceivably be alive to hear it).

I suppose that maybe she was talking about the information that was declassified a while back. Time capsule? Maybe she meant a virtual time capsule. The time capsule intrigued me and the fact that it was being used is the clearest part of my memory of what she said.

Yesterday I heard current interview with other Kennedy relatives, and they adeptly side-stepped the issue and said the important part was to remember his life, not his death, and went on to discuss celebrations of his life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #39

In retrospect, I think that this was in part more shocking for my parents since in their lifetimes President's just didn't get assassinated. The last assassination was in 1901 (there were some attempts after that).

I know that later when Ford was shot at and Reagan was actually shot it wasn't all that surprising to me since I have such a vivid memory of Kennedy being assassinated. I grew up with the idea that President's can be assassinated. So, while it is awful, I wasn't really shocked when someone tried to shoot Ford.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #40

I find it odd that I have no memories whatsoever before kindergarten. And the only vivid memory of kindergarten I have is that there was a large "stop and go" sign on the bathroom door and you turned it one way or another when you used the facility. Amazing the things that impressed me then!