Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Jiffy Lube scam! Wow!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jiffy Lube scam! Wow!

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

Yup, that kind of stuff is very common. Not just not doing the work, but doing unnecessary work as well. Many of those fluid changes are just bogus. Brake shops are still another sad story.
Buyer beware.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use a local repair shop with people I have come to trust. One good place to find an honest local shop is here, on the NPR Car talk site:

Car Talk
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

This has been going on at jiffy lubes for years. One news outfit caught the same jiffy lube charging for parts that werent replaced and didnt need replacing or charging for fluid changes they didnt do...and they caught them something like every other year for 5 years running.

The regional management said it was an "education issue" and was putting everyone through training classes :

Sears had a big problem with the same stuff a few years back.

The problem is generally caused when some management schmuck puts a minimum number of certain types of service "incentive" on the employees, or when they get a bonus for reaching certain percentages of services done or revenues brought in. Up to a point thats fine and gets the workers motivated to find more work to do. Unfortunately the management idiots figure if they can get $x or x%, they can turn the screw another notch and get more out of it.

At some point it turns into fraud.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
This has been going on at jiffy lubes for years. One news outfit caught the same jiffy lube charging for parts that werent replaced and didnt need replacing or charging for fluid changes they didnt do...and they caught them something like every other year for 5 years running.

The regional management said it was an "education issue" and was putting everyone through training classes :

Sears had a big problem with the same stuff a few years back.

The problem is generally caused when some management schmuck puts a minimum number of certain types of service "incentive" on the employees, or when they get a bonus for reaching certain percentages of services done or revenues brought in. Up to a point thats fine and gets the workers motivated to find more work to do. Unfortunately the management idiots figure if they can get $x or x%, they can turn the screw another notch and get more out of it.

At some point it turns into fraud.
Fuzzy: Exactly!

The worst smell on a fish comes from the head.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

I HAD to have a tire fixed, and I was about 2 blocks from Tires Plus; so, I pulled in and had the tire fixed. I left a bag of quarters on the floor of the car--being so rattled by the flat that I paid no attention--and...I am sure you can guess what happened.
Wrote to Tires Plus explaining that their employee (I knew which one it was) took my change, which was only about $10 but still. Regardless, NO response at all. Nothing. Not even a b.s. "we'll look into it, Ms. Customer." (Lie to me...I'll believe it...)
Well, I will find some other way to fix a tire now before I will EVER go into a Tires Plus again, the creeps.

Thanks for that Cartalk.com board. I bookmarked it.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
........I left a bag of quarters on the floor of the car--being so rattled by the flat that I paid no attention--and...I am sure you can guess what happened.................
I had to leave my keys once at an airport parking lot and found the change from my change holder - less that a dollar, had been filched.

Also witnessed them pushing one customers car (locked and in park gear) with another customer's car. Gotta love those 5 mph bumpers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

i suspected the local "tires plus" never actually rotated tires when i would bring it in for oil change and tire rotation. so i started making a clean streak w/ my shoe on the front driver-side tire and rim. on the way back in to pick up the car, i would inspect the front driver side tire looking for the streak. unfortunately, more often than not, it would be there, unchanged.

as i went in to pay, and he'd go over the bill, i stopped him at the tire rotation and told him it wasn't done. invariably, he would just say, "ok, we won't charge you for that. that brings your total down to ___". never questioned how i knew it wasn't done. never apologized. barely even ever looked up. i wonder how many tire rotations they don't do every day but charge for them. must be very profitable. AND tires wear out faster, so it's a win-win for 'em. the *astards.

sorry thing is that i trust tires plus more than the amoco (now BP amoco) car service. they tried ripping me off 3 different times before i vowed never to go back. 1) said they couldn't turn the rotors... tires plus said i could probably turn 'em 2 more times. 2) said i needed new battery (just a loose connection, battery perfect), and 3) some belt scam... needed new serpentine, they said. just had to tighten it.

i'm a pretty competent guy, but not under the hood. feel so unempowered. oh, well. we have 2 new-ish toyotas that don't need much work. ever. and that's a great thing.
chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
gone traveling

Its all about the people who go into the fast oil shops to work. The bottom rung in the employment chain. These are the guys who went to vocational high school and did poorly. If they were any good they would be working in a top line car dealership.

A good percentage of bums creeps and petty thieves.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It's all part of a pattern: businesses that routinely charge for services not done, chain stores that advertise specials that don't ring up correctly at check out time, cattle operations that butcher sick animals and feed the (possibly mad cow disease infected) meat to lids in the school lunch program, and health insurance (and even government benefits) programs that fight tooth and nail to avoid paying legitimate claims.

The mantra since the Regan administration has been "less regulation, less government intrusion," but that mantra has been taken to the extreme. Now, instead of offering reasonable oversight to protect the consumer from fraud and dangerous practices, the main thrust of government oversight seems to be asking industries and business owners to "pretty please, do follow the law" without doing putting money or teeth into actually enforcing those laws.

And it's you and I and all our friends who get screwed while corporate executives get annual pay and bonus checks that make winning the lottery look like chump change.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am not shocked. My personal experience with the quick lube joints is that the employees are not top quality. I used to do it myself (change my own oil). Now I take it to the dealer.

I have avoided JL for years. By the way JLs are often franchises. About 20 years ago I took my car to a JL for an oil change. The service guy stripped out the threads for the plug (cross-threaded it). It leaked. I took it back. I am not sure who I spoke with (he was not the local manager). He was either a franchise owner or a regional manager. He essentially told me to take a hike.

I avoid JL. If you take your car to one of those places, you had better watch them... stand over the job and watch.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a friend who went into one of those places. They told the three customers in front of her that they needed new drain plugs. When her car was being serviced, they came and told her she needed a new drain plug. She told them 'no I don't'. I thought they must have had a big supply of drain plugs. After wathing this, not so sure.

Last time I went to one, the sign outside said oil changes were 18.99. My bill was for 36.00. Never will go back to them.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #13

NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO A QUICKY OIL/LUBE JOINT:

Went to an Exxon owned quick oil change shop. 2 weeks later--and dripping oil I was not aware of--the ENGINE BLEW on my car. Car no good now. Thanks Exxon!
I will ONLY take my car to have the oil changed at the Toyota DEALER now. And I keep the receipt to PROVE they were the last ones. No problems the past 15 years by doing this.
The quick lube place Exxon owned ruined so MANY engines, by the way, that they went totally out of business within a couple years. Thank God. What jerks. I know they were in Houston, but don't think they had that many shops across the nation yet (maybe 100?).
When I was telling a client who fixed cars about it, he walked me thru a complete oil, lube and filter on my car to show me what could have happened: they--in their rush to get things done--did not take the screw completely out where the oil drains, so when they screwed it back in the fitting wasn't tight, oil leaks...and you have a blown engine! FYI.
Just do yourself a favor and NEVER go to a quick lube place. The corner gas station is better. And the dealer is even better.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #14

I thought this looked familiar. We discussed this in August.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...bed-29375.html

I usually change my own oil, but when I have taken a vehicle in for a quick change, I have never had a problem. Of course, I do stay and watch, even going in while the oil is being drained and watching them refill.

And you're right; they charge too much; hence I do my own. I have all day.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A few months back I got lazy and took my Trailblazer to a quick oil service close to my house. The other day I drove by the place and noticed it was out of business. So I drive across town to where I buy my tires and had it changed there. They have changed it over the years when they rotate my tires. People I know and trust. Anyway they tell me the previous people put the wrong filter on and it barely came off. Probably didn't cause any damage but that just show what you can get from the quick service jobs.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #16

I still use quickie oil change places, but I am careful. I always put any valuables in my pocket before leaving the car, and tell them I am sure I don't want any filters changed except the oil filter. I did once have them strip the threads of the drain plug hole, which cost me a lot of worrying and $50 at another mechanic to figure out where my oil leak was coming from. But in the end they solved the issue with a special plug.

These days with dealers competing on prices and scheduling for oil changes, I try to take it to the dealer as much as possible.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
DIY oil change is generally the easiest and smartest thing that you can do to keep your car running for a long time. Your oil and filter costs are 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost that the dealer will gouge you for. And, your labor is free (or prepaid)!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
DIY oil change is generally the easiest and smartest thing that you can do to keep your car running for a long time. Your oil and filter costs are 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost that the dealer will gouge you for. And, your labor is free (or prepaid)!
I used to change the oil myself, but my knees are shot.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just don't pour the used oil down the sewer!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
Just don't pour the used oil down the sewer!
The hassle of dealing with disposal of used oil is the main reason I *don't* do it myself.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote