Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
At least so far IMO (and DW). I was at a Mardi Gras party on Sun and the other old fuddy daddies (my age) all hated Fallon, they're waiting for another Johnnny Carson!

Letterman was funny, but he's been mailing it in for years now.

Get with it fuddy duddies, you don't have to be old and set in your ways!

Flame away...

I agree. Fallon is pretty funny and is a breath of fresh air. I liked Jay, but this entirely new package of entertainment Tonight Show format is a gas. I'm 50+ and I like it.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Here's a typical weak-a** Seth Meyers's monologue.
His material may not be great but his delivery is very solid considering it's just his second week ever on a talkshow. I'll take him over Letterman every day.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Used to watch Letterman all the time.

But these days, usually watch Sportscenter or NFL Network before going to bed.

I guess late night talk show audiences have been declining steadily over the years, though the talk shows are very profitable, even with so much more competition than there used to be.

If I were to record daily talk shows, I'd probably record The Daily Show and Colbert Report than the late night talk shows, which is celebrity-oriented.

Used to love the little bits in studio as well as the man on the street and remotes (like Letterman dropping objects like watermelons from a building down to the street below) more than the celebrity interviews.

Occasionally see the little song parodies that Fallon does on Youtube but otherwise have no real desire to watch these shows regularly.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I do miss the long monologue of Jay as you could get caught up with current events (of course with the sarcastic bent).

I like the format of how Fallon does the monologue, the goes right to the desk and chat a bit before commercial. Also, at least so far, he's only interviewed guests one on one and not have the earlier guest sit on the couch and listening.

I do like the way Jay (and Dave) would sometimes talk with guests about serious topics like the other night when Dave had Tom Brokaw on and talked about Putin and the Ukraine (while Jimmy and Lindsay Lohan had war water fight). I enjoyed both.

I think no one could ham it up like Johnny. Jimmy does remind me of Johnny in this way though.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

One of my favorite Carson shows was the time he busted Uri Gellar showing that he couldn't really bend spoons but that the spoons were rigged. Reality TV before reality TV
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was younger I enjoyed Carson. It just ain't the same. I don't get the newer crowd. The humor, (culture difference), is not there.

But...I will give Fallon an honest try if I am up that late. I am a morning person and can't stay up that late if I want to get stuff done early.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

Letterman used to be great, but he has been phoning much of it in the past few years. I used to like his earlier days when he too used to have more bits and skits. He does have a killer band, perhaps the best in late night, with Paul Shaffer.
I like Letterman but can't watch his show due to Paul Shaffer. Yuk! He gives me the creeps.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #28

Yes, but Johnny may have worked more hours than Jay. The show used to be 90 minutes.

I'm soon to be 60, but think Fallon is the best! His musical ability is unmatched for late night hosts. I especially like his impressions (Neil Young, Springsteen, Dylan), his skits with Justin Timberlake, and his bit where he'll have a performer do their song with the Roots playing " kid" instruments.

Jimmy Fallon, Carly Rae Jepsen & The Roots Sing "Call Me Maybe" (w/ Classroom Instruments) - YouTube

But I have a 13 year old who keeps me in the loop of today's popular music, so this may not be your taste.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Jimmy fallon is like conan. Really boring and bad. Trying very hard to be funny.
Jay lenno, letterman and jimmy kimmel are better and original with their skits.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #30

I was a huge fan of Fallon's during his time on SNL, and am thrilled he's on early enough now for me to at least catch his monologue. Can't wait until I retire and I can stay up late enough to watch all of it. I've taped some, and think he's doing a great job. Jay just wasn't funny to me anymore, and I'm glad to have something to lull me to sleep besides Letterman.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #31

Not necessarily a 'pet peeve' but an 'annoyance' to me is why all these late night talk shows have the host sitting a foot higher than the guests.

And don't get me started on the fake, non-working microphone they place on their desks for 'show'.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Been watching Jimmy Fallon. When he and his sidekick go into talking about "monster cables" is quite funny. Is that an inside gag they have going on for some time?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The show is just getting better. This was great (see video)!

Jimmy Fallon and Billy Joel sing incredible doo-wop duet with iPad app | The Verge

And Idina Menzel and classroom instruments was good too.

http://youtu.be/17QQcK4l6Yw

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #34

Other than musical bits that Fallon does with guests, I am not impressed. That sidekick guy is just plain annoying. Also, all hosted NBC shows are filled with guests from other NBC shows, plugging their own NBC shows. NBC does this much more than other networks. By contrast, Letterman books plenty of guests who appear on other networks. For example, Brian Williams from NBC is a frequent guest on Letterman. I think Letterman still has the best writers (or perhaps ones which appeal to my own sense of humor) among the network late night shows, and Letterman has the best delivery, IMO.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fallon and Joel singing "You May Be Right" at the end of the show was awesome, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #36

Billy Joel & Fallon singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" reminded me of a wonderful skit involving that song on the superb Tracey Ullman Show years ago. If you watch it, be sure to watch it until the very end:

anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

On Thursday, I really liked the doo-wop duet with Billy Joel. It was really cool.

On Friday, with they guy who brought out the animals, I missed how Jay interacted more with the animals, like how he would have with the cute baby bear. But I wonder if Jimmy didn't interact much was because the guy who brought the bear out seemed distracting. I like the animal parts more when the animals are featured than the humor.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I think Jimmy got truly upset when the guy squirted milk onto his face and his jacket. I can't see Jimmy having the animlas on his show as often as Jay or Johnny did. Johnny was a real gem with those animal segments.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The time when Johnny jumped into Ed McMahon's arms is a classic. Jay loved playing with and "talking to" and hamming it up with the animals.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #40

They may have changed the desk recently to hide the feet, but the Seth Meyers Show still sucks big time. (See my original critique of this show above.)
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote