Join Early Retirement Today

Jimmy Fallon: best late night host since Johnny Carson
Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jimmy Fallon: best late night host since Johnny Carson

At least so far IMO (and DW). I was at a Mardi Gras party on Sun and the other old fuddy daddies (my age) all hated Fallon, they're waiting for another Johnnny Carson!

Letterman was funny, but he's been mailing it in for years now.

Get with it fuddy duddies, you don't have to be old and set in your ways!

Flame away...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Too early to tell, but you might be right...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I actually like Fallon but I must admit that even though I am only 56 I get a sort of subliminal feeling that a certain amount of his schtick is going just past me and I'd find it funnier if I were 20 yrs younger.

If the Fuddy Daddies want to see Carson they need to watch that movie Somewhere in Time then go though their loose change
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Johnny was good, but by the time I was old enough to watch with any regularity he took more days off than he worked. I found it interesting that Jay Leno performed more shows than Carson did despite being on Tonight Show 9 years less than Carson. Have to give Leno his due, he was a worker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Johnny was good, but by the time I was old enough to watch with any regularity he took more days off than he worked. I found it interesting that Jay Leno performed more shows than Carson did despite being on Tonight Show 9 years less than Carson. Have to give Leno his due, he was a worker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnny liked those four working days in a week and took more vacations than Jay. Jay had a streak going of not taking any days off from the start until he had to check himself in the hospital from exhaustion.

With Jay gone, I've been watching Fallon. I think already his monologue has improved. I like the banter he has (like recently about him wanting a truck).

Plus, the war water fight with Lindsay Lohan was funny (he got creamed 4 or 5 to 1).
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My 83-year-old dad was telling me the other night how much he hates Fallon. I told him it was probably generational. I think it is too early to tell about Fallon. He is not only a different generation from Leno (and Carson) but his comedic background is different from both hosts. As with Leno, if Fallon has good guests, I will watch him. It took me many years to warm to Leno, as I did not watch him regularly until the mid-2000s. I rarely stayed up later than 11:45 in the 1990s anyway (working FT and getting up at 7 AM).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two problems: I'm in bed by 8, and I don't watch TV.

The little bit I've seen of him in the past though, is that he's comfortable in his own skin, and kinda open to whatever happens.

Does that make sense?
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've never really been all that excited about any of the talk show hosts. To each their own and all, but I personally don't understand all the admiration over Carson.

For most of these guys, I think they might have a good 10 minutes out of each show and the rest is filler. I find their banter with some star/starlet pretty lame - they pump their new movie/book/play, tell some 'funny story' that seems all rehearsed (let me tell you about when I took my car in for an oil change...), and bla, bla, bla.

But with all the talk over this change, I did watch more of Leno than usual recently. And then Fallon.

I have to say that I do think Fallon is far better. Seems much more creative and 'with it', while Leno seemed to just be reading cue cards. But some of Fallons' routines go over my head - I just figure my kids would get it. That's OK, he can't be everything to everyone. But for some reason, his "Thank You's" always (mostly) crack me up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I like Jimmy Kimmel. And Ellen. I used to watch Letterman years ago. I am 55.

Some of the clips I've seen of Fallon were very funny. I watched the very first episode. It felt like an extension of Saturday Night Live.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Craig Ferguson is best right now IMHO. Fallon comes in second.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
gone traveling

Prefer Jimmy Kimmel and Jay vs Fallon.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
We fall asleep between 9-10pm, but DVR Fallon and watch him while having dinner around 6pm the next day. FF thru commercials and boring guests, ain't technology grand.

And we agree Craig Ferguson can be hilarious, but we rarely see him.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a fan of Leno and thought Fallon would not quite fill Leno's shoes. So far, I think Fallon has been exceptional. He's my favorite of current talk show hosts. I will miss "headlines" and "Jay walking" and think they are MUCH better than "thankyou notes" but Fallons monologue is the best on tv IMHO. I'm too young to remember Carson so can't make that comparison. I also like Kimmel and think everyone else is a notch(or 2) down from them.

*I haven't watched Arsenio since he returned. Ellen is easily top 3 talk show hosts on tv but she's not "late night" so I didn't include her. Chelsy Handler is funny and i'd like to see her as the first women of late night(on a major network). She could replace whoever replaces Letterman...Kimmel or Ferguson i'm guessing.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
If you subscribe to Jimmy's YouTube channel you can watch most of the elements, though not necessarily in sequence.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #15

+1 on Kimmel & Ferguson.
Always felt 'meh' about Fallon, even when he was on SNL.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you subscribe to Jimmy's YouTube channel you can watch most of the elements, though not necessarily in sequence.
Or, you could watch on Hulu which is what I do. This year they started making you wait a few days to watch the most recent show unless you have Hulu Plus. I just wait and watch it a few days after it airs for free. All the episodes are numbered and dated so you know you're watching them in order.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #17

We have DVR'd Letterman for years and watched the monologue, top 10, and any interesting guests as we prepare to nod off. Must admit I'm pretty much done with him, moved on to Fallon. I genuinely seem to LIKE Fallon as a person, and Letterman is just a bit too snarky. One thing that really drives us nuts is when Letterman will just do something over and over and over. Like that clip of the guy hammering the pan, or the endless repetitive clips of Abotobad (sp?). It's. Not. Funny. I think he and his writers are just collecting the checks, doing same stuff over and over.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
... As with Leno, if Fallon has good guests, I will watch him. It took me many years to warm to Leno, as I did not watch him regularly until the mid-2000s. I rarely stayed up later than 11:45 in the 1990s anyway (working FT and getting up at 7 AM).
Ditto. I usually watch these talk shows primarily for the guests, not the host.

I have DirecTV, so I can watch the east coast feeds three hours earlier, at 8:35, and not worry about staying up late or DVRing the show.

It took me years to warm up to Leno. I swear that for years before and during his early stint on "The Tonight Show" (1992) he always wore those outdated suit jackets with the rolled-up sleeves. That used to irritate me to no end, it was so old-fashioned, having gone out of style circa 1988. But now it's difficult to find any such photos on Google or Bing. It's like they have all been scrubbed! Was I hallucinating?

So far, as the new "Tonight Show" host, Fallon's okay. He is a bit more of the early Steve Allen-Johnny Carson "Tonight Show" mold--with the skits, bits and sketches. Leno rarely did sketches. (I remember watching those early 90-minute New York Carson shows, starting in 1967, as a young kid who often found it hard to fall asleep.) Fallon was very weak and stiff during his early days as the "Late Night" host, but gradually got more at ease and learned to improvise more. I'm guessing he'll get much more comfortable as the "Tonight Show" host. (But he's gotta stop calling virtually every guest his "fave." And learn to be a better listener and interviewer. On his former show and currently, he often dominates the conversation and informs the audience himself what the guest is promoting rather than letting the guest do the explanation.)

Seth Meyers on the other hand is a complete mess. Yuck! After the few couple of episodes, I have been watching only the opening ten minutes or so of a handful or other episodes just to witness the sheer awfulness of it all. Everything about that show is unappealing, from the small dorm-room desk with the visible feet, dull set design, blah band, weak jokes and bits, and the pitiful delivery of the material by Meyers. "Hello, how's everyone? Now, to the news." That's his basic intro every night. He has no timing. He wears this smirky grin throughout the opening. And despite how weak a joke is, the audience applauds every single joke. Every one! (And I think I hear the same woman laughing loudly during every monologue that I have watched; they must have some paid professional laughers in that crowd.) I do not see this show lasting much longer in its present format.

Letterman used to be great, but he has been phoning much of it in the past few years. I used to like his earlier days when he too used to have more bits and skits. He does have a killer band, perhaps the best in late night, with Paul Shaffer.

Of Letterman, Ferguson, Conan, Meyers, Fallon and Kimmel, I am getting many more yuks from Kimmel these days. But, as I said at the beginning, I watch these shows more for the guest, not for the host. If none of the guests interest me, I generally won't tune in. (I am usually doing something else while these shows are on anyway--multi-tasking--not just sitting on a couch.)
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I like Jimmy Kimmel. And Ellen. I used to watch Letterman years ago. I am 55.

Some of the clips I've seen of Fallon were very funny. I watched the very first episode. It felt like an extension of Saturday Night Live.
The producer of SNL, the new "Tonight Show" with Fallon, and of the Seth Meyers "Late Show" is Lorne Michaels.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #20

Here's a typical weak-a** Seth Meyers's monologue.