Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Xtradoe, If you're feeling burned out, it's time to move on. I don't think that bells and whistles like a VA will help.

For too many years I stayed in a career that I hated, only because of the pay and benefits, and eventually I lost my nerve to do something about the direction that my life was heading.

Finally I was able to retire, but looking back, I know now that I should have nipped the problem in the bud early on. I was too chickens**t to take that step. Don't fall into a trap where you will come to hate your job even more. Retrain if necessary, but start taking steps to revitalze yourself now.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Well .... Here's an update!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Well .... Here's an update!

Update:

After sitting down with a good friend, we talked about my situation, one, I am in no place to be able to retire early, so after weighing pros and cons, for now I am going to make the move up North to a different territory, like my friend said it may be enough to spark a bit of newness to get me going and unstuck.

I looked at a couple jobs but wasnt interested in what they were looking for, so I think for now I am going to focus on the move, making the best of it and maybe buying some real estate since it is a buyers market, there are some real deals up there.

I have given myself the two year time frame, I need to try this for at least two years and if I buy something soon and decide in two yrs. I am hating it, I think the market will recover enough so I could get my money out of it and move on or move on and rent the property out until it gets better.

Something my friend pointed out that may help is I have never been a home owner, I have lived a very care free lifestyle renting...... my friend says home ownership may change alot of where I am at mentally too.

One thing is for sure, my job pretty secure, although maybe some things I dont like about it,job security is pretty good, and I do have very solid income, with insurance, co.car, a 401K which they contribute 4%, there are going to be guys retiring, and that even makes it more stable and as my boss said, we wouldnt be moving you if you were someone that was on the chopping block, they have put up some money and will be paying for the move and all costs etc.

So I just thought I would update those that have commented and were wondering what I decided, for now I have decided I still want a steady income,stability and maybe even some real estate!

Thanks & Regards,
xtradoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kudos to you for making a change that may enable you to be happy. I hope everything works out ok...and yeah keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtradoe View Post
Puzzley, I think you hit the nail dead center, specifically the last 2 words.
Nice to hear you made a successful transition back in your 40's, what type of business/sales are you in and what geographic area? .... Thanks for posting.
xtradoe, sorry for not posting this sooner, but I'm in insurance sales, and my territory is Ohio, although I live in KY. (Yes, lots of travel involved....)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

What Next!?

Now the company is waffling on the expense portion the agreed too for the move? what a joke this is getting to be!

Maybe I will be leaving this outfit!?
Update! .....
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Update! .....

Well I have made the move and I know somene here said this would happen and it did, THE MOVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE!

I am just plain burnt out and just basically dreading the grind, the customers are nice up here and they are very receptive to me, but it is the same old grind and I am just not feeling it at all, I really want to jump off the wagon.

I have this place leased for another 4 months and have considered sub leasing the place if I could.

The economy sucks here & pretty much all over and I am not sure what I would/will do but I guess at this point not sure I care, not a good state to be in I know, but what can I say its the truth.

Thanks for reading my venting! ........ Now what?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

When I got job burnout....I threw my retirement papers in from being in the Navy for 20+ years.

Don't regret it one bit!
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I have made the move and I know somene here said this would happen and it did, THE MOVE MADE NO DIFFERENCE!

I am just plain burnt out and just basically dreading the grind, the customers are nice up here and they are very receptive to me, but it is the same old grind and I am just not feeling it at all, I really want to jump off the wagon.

I have this place leased for another 4 months and have considered sub leasing the place if I could.

The economy sucks here & pretty much all over and I am not sure what I would/will do but I guess at this point not sure I care, not a good state to be in I know, but what can I say its the truth.

Thanks for reading my venting! ........ Now what?
If going back to the same old grind was fun, everyone would want to do it and it wouldn't pay as well...

Guess you have to decide which of your possible futures appeals more to you. With retirement in mind, I would suggest that you think long term rather than immediate gratification.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Don't quit unless you have another job lined up. Regardless of experience, not having a degree these days limits you greatly. It may seem bad for you right now but trust me it could be much worse. If I quit my job right now it would probably take several months to find a job that paid 25K/yr starting. Don't jump ship unless you have a plan.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I would suggest that you think long term rather than immediate gratification.
Your right and believe me, that is why it is hard for me to just walk!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your right and believe me, that is why it is hard for me to just walk!
Don't let that thought out of your mind, if you do something impulsive and/or without a plan - you could be more unhappy. Make sure you land in a better place, even if it's grim in the interim. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But I have no idea how to even act in a sabatical situation ... I guess because I have never done it, I have had a job basically since I was 16 but it does sound kind of exciting and adventureous and yes it could possibly recharge my batteries!?
I can attest that a sabbatical can definitely recharge your batteries. It gives you time to dump your BS bucket. I know that ESRBob advocates taking a few months off to do not much. I find that 3 weeks of doing not much is enough for me. After that, I need something engaging, not necessarily the same work I did before, but something that can keep me occupied. Xtradoe, you should plan for some worthwhile activities that you can do for the rest of your sabbatical.

Frankly, a lot of corporate BS is meaningless crap that should be taken as chest thumping. It's scary crap if your house payment, car payments, and whatever other payments are dependent on the job. Otherwise, it's actually kind of hilarious in a dark, comedic way.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at the net worth all the time and watch it grow....that makes me feel a bit better

Seriously though, I would take a long vacation to recharge.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
I look at the net worth all the time and watch it grow....that makes me feel a bit better

Seriously though, I would take a long vacation to recharge.
LOL. That works as a great past time in bull markets, but I certainly wouldn't want to have nothing to do all day besides watching my portfolio dwindle in a bear market. BTW, I know you are kidding.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear that it is still the same old thing xtradoe.....take a sabbatical if you can to recharge and relax.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
I hear sabbactical ....
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear sabbactical ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Sorry to hear that it is still the same old thing xtradoe.....take a sabbatical if you can to recharge and relax.
I think you are very much right, I need a recharge, I know now is not perfect timing but is there ever a perfect time??

looking at making the exit middle of August, I need to get my ducks in a row!

Anyone have a check list for taking a sabbactical?