Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Job Burnout? what did you do to change it?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Job Burnout? what did you do to change it?

I am fairly new here and have only posted a few times, one post was inregards to being transfered to another area which I am considering, I have been thinking alot lately about the whole situation, the move,where I am at with my career thing and how happy I really am here with the whole situation and the company in general.

It appears to me that I am suffering from job burnout, some of it is because the last couple yrs. they have required us to do about seven different reports every quarter that range from a points system report on what we sold to what they call a individual learning plan, now I am not saying these are not good, but I just plain dread alot of reports, we are sales reps, not reporting junkies! we also have weekly call reports due every week and expense reports (I totally understand the expense report and have no problem with that one)

But I am starting to truly believe because of all the reporting and general changing of our job description I should make a job change,I feel burnt out and Sunday's I start dreading the beginning of another week, I do not feel as though this is the way I want to spend another 20 yrs! I also have noticed I am not enjoying the things I really enjoyed as much, it seems somtimes I am numb to things and tend to worry about work, reports, reports and work!

I have been with this co. for 18 yrs. have a 401K, Co.car, and insurance, 4 weeks vacation (yes I like that!) I am basically debt free other then rent and monthly utility bills, the part that does worry me is there seems to be a downturn in the economy and I am not sure now is the time to be out looking around, I have lots of sales experience and very good experience in taking care of customers and building a good relationship with them,I am originally from the midwest and have a strong work ethic, however I do not have a degree and it seems every co. requires one today, even though some say with all that experience not to be worried about a degree?

I guess I was thinking and maybe hoping the transfer, if I take it would change things, and reinvigorate me .... but will it?

My hobbies are cars, trucks, anything with a motor or anything that goes with the car and motorcycle culture, etc.

Ok People's how about some good sound advice, anybody been in a simialr situation? what did you do?

Thank you in advance!
xtradoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy yourself Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" CD's and listen to them while you are driving. They did me a world of good. And keep tuning into this forum - that has also done me a world of good.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtradoe View Post
I am fairly new here and have only posted a few times, one post was inregards to being transfered to another area which I am considering,
Geographic area or area within mega-corp? If it's just location, the same old BS applies. If it's new duties, a change is as good as a rest. Might be worth a look.

Or not. In my case, I left a job I enjoyed to start a new area in mega-corp. Fun for a short while but I soon learned to hate it. Since I was FI, my choice was ER. Is that an option?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #4

Have no real advice but am wondering how close you are to FIRE as that would probably influence my decision whether or not to look for greener pastures (if they even exist).

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone else? please chime in ....
Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else? please chime in ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Buy yourself Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" CD's and listen to them while you are driving. They did me a world of good. And keep tuning into this forum - that has also done me a world of good.
Thanks Arc, I'll check the tapes out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Geographic area or area within mega-corp? If it's just location, the same old BS applies. If it's new duties, a change is as good as a rest. Might be worth a look.

Or not. In my case, I left a job I enjoyed to start a new area in mega-corp. Fun for a short while but I soon learned to hate it. Since I was FI, my choice was ER. Is that an option?
Kumquat, it is a geographic change only.
And unfortunately ER is not an option, I am in my early 40's, not near enough cash or assets.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #6

When places I worked (not a sales rep, however) started asking for lots of extra reports, they turned out to be either 1. evaluating and about to downsize folks that didn't show well on reports or wouldn't play ball or 2. accidentally chnaging the nature of the reporters jobs without intending to.

If it's #1 you want to make sure you send the stuff in - even if it means making a reminder system for yourself so they don't have to ask twice. Also whatever they are measuring you want to make sure you look okay and don't trail the pack by their numbers.

If it's #2 you likely have much more room in the system. If there were parts of this job that you loved before all the changes, concentrate on those parts. If you do a good job with those parts you may be able to face the reports as a necexxary drudge needed to allow you to do your fun job. If you think about the reports as how can you provide whatever they ask for with minimal effort you may be able to shift the balance of your job back to what you enjoyed.

If you are at or near FI, you may also have a different perspective that lets you view this stuff with detachment and not let it get you down.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It appears to me that I am suffering from job burnout
<snip>
I do not feel as though this is the way I want to spend another 20 yrs!
I know your pain, I too am burnt out, but I have an ER plan that is much shorter than your 20 year trigger. If I was miserable and facing another 20 years, I would start looking for something else. Seriously, if I was facing another 20 years I might even consider going back to school to change careers.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Keep em coming!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
When places I worked (not a sales rep, however) started asking for lots of extra reports, they turned out to be either 1. evaluating and about to downsize folks that didn't show well on reports or wouldn't play ball or 2. accidentally chnaging the nature of the reporters jobs without intending to.

If it's #1 you want to make sure you send the stuff in - even if it means making a reminder system for yourself so they don't have to ask twice. Also whatever they are measuring you want to make sure you look okay and don't trail the pack by their numbers.

If it's #2 you likely have much more room in the system. If there were parts of this job that you loved before all the changes, concentrate on those parts. If you do a good job with those parts you may be able to face the reports as a necexxary drudge needed to allow you to do your fun job. If you think about the reports as how can you provide whatever they ask for with minimal effort you may be able to shift the balance of your job back to what you enjoyed.

If you are at or near FI, you may also have a different perspective that lets you view this stuff with detachment and not let it get you down.
It appears to us reps as it is #1, oh I am sending in my reports when they are due quarterly and the call report and expense report weekly, but it is just getting to be a real grind, not sure if I can even revive the option you give in option #2, good thought but realistically dont see it happening, #1 has made it kind of miserable, the guys in there late 50's early 60's are just trying to hang on until 62 or so but I think the guys in my range have a different issue, I also failed to mention the online tests they want us to take on "our time".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I know your pain, I too am burnt out, but I have an ER plan that is much shorter than your 20 year trigger. If I was miserable and facing another 20 years, I would start looking for something else. Seriously, if I was facing another 20 years I might even consider going back to school to change careers.
Yep got about 20 to go ....... unless the lotto hits!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Job burnout...I quit.

Alas, poor DH still has to work. When he got major burnout, he took advantage of the co's tuition package and earned his degree. I don't think it really mattered much in his job, but recent changes make his degree very valuable.

He took on line classes and really enjoyed it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Job burnout...I quit. .
if I could I would be gone .... like yesterday!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Xtradoe--When I was 40, I got really burned out from a job I'd had for only 10 years. It was a good job with good benefits: 403(b), insurance, 4 weeks vacation. I had loved the job at first, but couldn't stand it any more and knew I could not face another 20 years of it.
So I quit and took a year off to rejuvenate, and think about what else I might want to do. I lived very frugally on money I had saved outside of my retirement accounts, and so I didn't use up any of my tax-deferred investments.
Is it possible you have enough money to take a "sabbatical"--a year off to think about the next 20 years of your life, recharge your batteries, maybe even take some classes towards a degree? Or maybe work at something part-time for a while?
This wouldn't work if you're in a field where jobs are so scarce you'd never find another job again--but dreading the next 20 years of your life is like wishing your life away...
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Good one...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Good one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
Xtradoe--When I was 40, I got really burned out from a job I'd had for only 10 years. It was a good job with good benefits: 403(b), insurance, 4 weeks vacation. I had loved the job at first, but couldn't stand it any more and knew I could not face another 20 years of it.
So I quit and took a year off to rejuvenate, and think about what else I might want to do. I lived very frugally on money I had saved outside of my retirement accounts, and so I didn't use up any of my tax-deferred investments.
Is it possible you have enough money to take a "sabbatical"--a year off to think about the next 20 years of your life, recharge your batteries, maybe even take some classes towards a degree? Or maybe work at something part-time for a while?
This wouldn't work if you're in a field where jobs are so scarce you'd never find another job again--but dreading the next 20 years of your life is like wishing your life away...
rocketdog, how funny, yes I have thought of this exactly! not quite sure where I would go or what sabatical looks like! but yes I have thought of this.

couple things though,
1) I DO NOT have alot of extra cash outside my 401k, some inheiritance but didnt really want to use that.

2) the good news is I am basically debt free,have no car payments etc.only monthly utility bills but they would be gone, ironically my lease is up very soon and I was not going to resign because of the possible job transfer.

3) I think I could find part time work, but here is where it gets interesting, I probably couldnt do this here in So Cal (the sabatical thing) to expensive here but have friends that have already offered up places for a short while in other states, also have a brother in AZ and another friend in Scottsdale. also friend's in Colo and family in the midwest. so yes I have options there.

as far as finding another job in this industry, not really sure I want too!? industry has really changed.

But I have no idea how to even act in a sabatical situation ... I guess because I have never done it, I have had a job basically since I was 16 but it does sound kind of exciting and adventureous and yes it could possibly recharge my batteries!?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
Xtradoe--but dreading the next 20 years of your life is like wishing your life away...
And might I add THIS is a Very big reality Check!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #14

I changed settings which made a huge difference to me in job satisfaction. However, I work in healthcare so not sure how much this would apply for you if you were to change to a different type of sales job.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I too had burn-out big-time. I quit but called it 'retirement' because I had no intention of getting another job, and I didn't!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I changed settings which made a huge difference to me in job satisfaction. However, I work in healthcare so not sure how much this would apply for you if you were to change to a different type of sales job.
I like being in Sales, Sales Rep, Manufacturers rep,etc. but I just dont like where my current Sales job has gone, I dislike all the reporting and where it seems this co. is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
I too had burn-out big-time. I quit but called it 'retirement' because I had no intention of getting another job, and I didn't!
but were you closer to retirement age?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #17

Here's what I get from your post:

Quote:

Bad stuff: job burnout....(due to) seven different reports ..... dread alot of reports....because of all the reporting ..... feel burnt out!

Good stuff: have a 401K, Co.car, and insurance, 4 weeks vacation (yes I like that!)

Other stuff: not sure now is the time to be out looking around... hoping the transfer, if I take it would change things, and reinvigorate me .... but will it?
Have you considered hiring a "virtual assistant" to do most of the work on these reports? Read the Timothy Ferriss book (Four Hour Work Week) for tips on how to outsource some of this drudge work for not much money. Particularly when the reports are similar from quarter to quarter and you get someone trained, you may be able to scan documents, email and/or dictate these things and get something back that only needs a few tweaks from you. After all, you can show the virtual assistant your previous reports and they can see the end result you are after.

You can even dictate or upload as you go through the month, so that the VA is the one compiling the statistics.

I can relate to the dread of reports. I used to stress out about and put off expense reports just because I hate the detail work. Finally delegated most of it to my secretary who didn't mind it at all.

The company car and four weeks of vacation are pretty sweet. You know the politics of the current company, where the land mines are, etc.

I'm not saying you still won't want to change jobs sometime, but when everything is pretty good (pay and perks) except for this report thing, it might be worth a try to outsource it.

You don't have to use a "virtual" assistant. You could find someone local who does that sort of thing if you feel you need face-to-face time. Might be worth a few bucks to get rid of what I call "Sunday Stress Syndrome" - that feeling of dreading Mondays.

FWIW

spncity
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #18

Upon re-reading -

I see your potential transfer is with the same company (and therefore I assume you keep your four weeks of vacation and company car). So if that feels invigorating to you, go for it AND try the outsourcing of the reporting.

Try to get some quiet time and figure out what the little voice in your head is telling you.

spncity
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

To Xtradoe: I was 51. I'm 58 now, we're not living off the fat of the land, but we're making it and loving it. Priorities have changed.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Here's what I get from your post:

Have you considered hiring a "virtual assistant" to do most of the work on these reports? Read the Timothy Ferriss book (Four Hour Work Week) for tips on how to outsource some of this drudge work for not much money. Particularly when the reports are similar from quarter to quarter and you get someone trained, you may be able to scan documents, email and/or dictate these things and get something back that only needs a few tweaks from you. After all, you can show the virtual assistant your previous reports and they can see the end result you are after.

You can even dictate or upload as you go through the month, so that the VA is the one compiling the statistics.

I can relate to the dread of reports. I used to stress out about and put off expense reports just because I hate the detail work. Finally delegated most of it to my secretary who didn't mind it at all.

The company car and four weeks of vacation are pretty sweet. You know the politics of the current company, where the land mines are, etc.

I'm not saying you still won't want to change jobs sometime, but when everything is pretty good (pay and perks) except for this report thing, it might be worth a try to outsource it.

You don't have to use a "virtual" assistant. You could find someone local who does that sort of thing if you feel you need face-to-face time. Might be worth a few bucks to get rid of what I call "Sunday Stress Syndrome" - that feeling of dreading Mondays.

FWIW

spncity
wow! another great tip! where do you find the VA thing, is there a website etc? this is all news to me, didnt know this really even existed!