Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My older brother and I both sold Coke at Rice Stadium, Houston. Same bucket system as Mikeyd. However, it was from my older brother that I learned a lesson. He noted that for day games they sold paper sun visors for $.15 at the gate, and most of these were left behind, and still usable. He collected them, and sold them at the next game for $.25. You see we worked the Upper East Stands, and no one wanted to go all the way to the gate to get one, so they paid the extra dime. For me it was an early lesson in several economic axioms.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
While I was in college and summers I was a public utility intern/worker, bartender, waiter (twice) and greenskeeper - actually really liked the last two.

One summer I was a worker bee for a residential roofer at $3/hr. This was before any mech equipment was used in the trade, every shingle, every roll of felt and all the tools went up via ladder - for an entire summer in San Antonio, TX [yes, it was blisteringly hot]. But I was glad to have the job and the money, probably made me further appreciate my opportunity at college if that qualifies as character building. I've been lucky all my life IMO...

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
My older brother and I both sold Coke at Rice Stadium, Houston.
In most places selling nose candy would be illegal, but at Rice...
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
Ny first year of electrician training.

Back in the old country the path to the Journeyman's license: 4 years of training. Two days of classroom, 4 days of hands on work.

Spent the first year in a new apartment complex development, digging ditches with pick and shovel for feeder cables and streetlights. 36" deep 1 foot wide. When the required length was dug, shovel in 3" of sand. Then by hand unroll the cable into the ditch. After that lay bricks on both sides of the cable, top with another layer of brick. This of course to protect the cable. When all this was inspected by the learned inspector. Fill in the ditch with the dirt previously dug out.

I knew after this one year of practical experience that there must be a better way to earn a living.

Then came second year. In the modular built concrete walled buildings, using hammer and chisel chop pockets in the concrete for wall switches and outlets. Run wires on the wall, using mortar mix to spot stick the wires to the wall. Later the masons came to cover it all up with mortar.

Learned that insulation was a foreign concept in the communist mass produced housing.

Yeah, I do like retirement in the USA.
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #45
In 1974 I was 19 and drove a taxicab in the suburbs of Cleveland, OH for my summer job. I rode my bike to the cab garage and brought snacks and water so I had no expenses and saved every dime.

I had to deal with all kinds of characters (other cabbies and customers) and since this was only the 2nd year that women were allowed to drive a cab it made for a lot of interesting conversations. "What's a nice young girl like you doing driving a cab?"

The cabs were the classic Checker Marathons. No air conditioning in the cabs and they were usually pretty dirty. I had a couple of customers who would call and ask for me. I think some of the elderly and women felt safer with me than with a guy.

I enjoyed the independence of it all, the driving and the pay, which was quite good for a summer job. It was all done in cash. We turned in what was recorded in our fare box and got a paycheck based on the fares. We kept the tips. Most of my tips were pretty good and then some people also gave me tomatoes and cucumbers. One young man offered me a baggie of pot but I declined and took the cash instead.

I had to be part of the union so I was "Teamster Brother Sue" because they didn't have Teamster Sisters yet.

It was a great character building job, my first job really. I learned a lot about the working world and a lot about me. I learned about customer service and respect.

I tried to do it again the following summer. The dispatching system had changed and it was harder for us summer cabbies to get the good fares. Something was going on in the background and when I said something to one of the supervisors he made a comment that made me uncomfortable. Something about a young woman like me making more money after my shift (wink wink nudge nudge) than I would make driving. I ended it right there and did not go back.

Another character building moment.
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
Not sure Nose Candy was trendy in the 50's. But those sun shades sure made us some money!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote