Jodie Foster

I don't have a link.

To answer your question, I think she was very candid, what she said to her ailing mother was very nice, as well as her openness about her family life.

Sorry to read some harsh comments under this thread. At least, most posters agree with me she is a great actress.

ERD50 said:
I have not seen it. Do you have a link?

What was it you found moving?

-ERD50

Surprised at the reactions. I think she is among the most boring actresses around. I never remember seeing her in a performance that is outstanding in any way, although I didn't see Taxi Driver.

All I could think when I saw the clips from her speech was that she looks pretty darn good for 50.

Some people like sports, hunting, travel, theater, movies, music, beverages, forms of meds :), etc. No need to rain on others who enjoy something you don't, imho. What was that mom used to say about if you can't say something nice.... (especially about something as unimportant as Hollywood--it's not like we ever had a president who was a movie star. Oh, wait....).

Some of those celebs are good only at getting publicity (having just read through a People-ish magazine in a waiting room, my reaction was mostly, "who the heck are these people?" And the answer is, people with publicists). I think Jodie Foster has stayed way out of those mags her whole life so can't fault her on that. She's no Kardashian.

...(especially about something as unimportant as Hollywood--it's not like we ever had a president who was a movie star.

Star?

240px-bedtime_for_bonzo1.jpg

She was also great in "The Brave One."

I looked at the video. Maybe she was on something; but since she made no sense, she might fit right into a political career.

Hard to imagine she could lower today's standards.

I saw it - thought she had a few loose marbles, or maybe a few too many glasses of bubbly...

I found a link, but I guess it was ~ 3.5 minutes of the total, but even at that, I don't get what there is to make a fuss of. I get tired of celebrities going on and on like their life is any more important than Joe/Jane down the street.

I'm not a big movie person, but "The King's Speech" was getting a lot of press, thought I might go see it. A friend who saw it summarized it for me:

"A royal, with almost unlimited resources faces a challenge. He overcomes it (with the help of almost unlimited resources). Many ordinary people face challenges, and they overcome them with limited resources. Ho Hum."

So I guess that's how I feel about any 'challenge' or 'situation' Ms Foster finds herself in. Deal with it, like so many others who don't have a soapbox to proclaim it to the world.

I've seen her in several movies, I really can't comment on if she is good, great, or merely competent. One actor that impressed me recently was Jamie Foxx, in "Ray". There was so much hype about his portrayal, and what I found is that one minute into the movie, I totally forgot about all I heard of his prep for the roll, learning the walk, mannerisms and such - and I just was immersed in the story. I think that is what an actor is supposed to do - get out of the way, and let the story come through. If you notice them, then maybe they aren't doing it right? It's almost an oxymoron. And I think it probably takes great skill to attain that.

Some people like sports, hunting, travel, theater, movies, music, beverages, forms of meds :), etc. No need to rain on others who enjoy something you don't, imho. What was that mom used to say about if you can't say something nice....

Well, it seems to me if someone starts a thread in a discussion forum, they should expect discussion. It should be no surprise that some people will see things differently. Life would be very boring otherwise.

Should we start an "Agree with Me" sub-forum? I've always felt one could start a blog for that and disable comments, or talk to a mirror.

-ERD50

A movie I wouldn't have thought I would love: Silence of the Lambs. Both she and Hopkins are amazing in it.

I just watched Hopkins in the World's Fastest Indian (Motorcycle). He is really great. I've started watching a bunch of stuff with Sean Connery, too, but Hopkins is also just awesome.

Foster I remember from Silence of the Lambs. Not sure I've seen anything else of hers since Little Darlings.

The last movie I saw her in was Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Neat to see some of those stars in old movies, before they became famous.

Should we start an "Agree with Me" sub-forum? I've always felt one could start a blog for that and disable comments, or talk to a mirror.
No more so than anyone should regularly go out of their way to be ornery, contrary and somewhat combative. Ideally, a "good community" should be both challenging *and* supportive as appropriate, and such challenge should come by challenging the ideas rather than by making the person who stated them feel like an idiot or a bad person.

Sure, it would be dull if people did nothing but agree with each other and sing Kumbaya. But it's also dysfunctional when some people seem interested in nothing but arguing.

People have every bit as much right to disagree with disagreeable postings as the person who was disagreeable has to be so. Disagreement is not censorship. Criticizing a critic is not censorship. So if you want to keep the "right" to criticize, you need to accept that others have the right to criticize you, not merely assert that they are trying to shut you up.

Last edited:
No more so than anyone should regularly go out of their way to be ornery, contrary and somewhat combative. Ideally, a "good community" should be both challenging *and* supportive as appropriate, and such challenge should come by challenging the ideas rather than by making the person who stated them feel like an idiot or a bad person.

Sure, it would be dull if people did nothing but agree with each other and sing Kumbaya. But it's also dysfunctional when some people seem interested in nothing but arguing.

People have every bit as much right to disagree with disagreeable postings as the person who was disagreeable has to be so. Disagreement is not censorship. Criticizing a critic is not censorship. So if you want to keep the "right" to criticize, you need to accept that others have the right to criticize you, not merely assert that they are trying to shut you up.

Agreed, mostly - I was going to add to that, but I don't want to get caught up if you are speaking as moderator and not as poster, so maybe I'll PM you later - no big deal, but I gotta run anyhow.

-ERD50

I'm not a big movie person, but "The King's Speech" was getting a lot of press, thought I might go see it. A friend who saw it summarized it for me:

"A royal, with almost unlimited resources faces a challenge. He overcomes it (with the help of almost unlimited resources). Many ordinary people face challenges, and they overcome them with limited resources. Ho Hum"....
-ERD50

I saw it more as a parallel of the reluctant monarch who never expected to be king and the reluctance of England to engage against Hitler. The drumbeat of the times carried the story. I did think the big picture was a bit abandoned at the end but perhaps it was more that the storylines merged. Probably good you chose not to see it.

Last edited:
Agreed, mostly - I was going to add to that, but I don't want to get caught up if you are speaking as moderator and not as poster, so maybe I'll PM you later - no big deal, but I gotta run anyhow.

-ERD50
No, mod hat is off. When it's "on" I try to make that clear in my remarks. Otherwise I speak for me and me alone...

I saw it more as a parallel of the reluctant monarch who never expected to be king and the reluctance of England to engage against Hitler. The drumbeat of the times carried the story. I did think the big picture was a bit abandoned at the end but perhaps it was more that the storylines merged. Probably good you chose not to see it.
I liked this movie a lot. I am interested in 20th C British History, and I even remember from childhood seeing the old Movie Tone reels about the abdicator and his duchess. It seemed such a bizarre story to me, a man who became King, but deserted his country at a time of its great need for leadership in favor of a woman who looked pretty much like my Grandmother. They always seemed so forlorn, traipsing from yacht to yacht, essentially homeless and completely without purpose.

Excellent insights into the character of King George 6th, both before and after his ascension to the throne. Briefly, to me at least, he seemed everything that his older brother was not, and a great royal partner for Churchill to get successfully through that war. Also it was clear that his skill in picking a mate was top drawer, as his wife Elizabeth could not have been better, for his needs, for his children, for British Royalty at a time when it had been made to look pretty bad, and eventually in her role as the King’s wife.

There is a Masterpiece Theater Upstairs Downstairs piece about this period that also gives a good look into the eventual king in the years leading up to the war.

Ha

Personally I prefer the Academy Award acceptance speech George C. Scott made.;)

Thank you for posting this. I agree with what you say, ziggy.

ziggy29 said:

I liked this movie a lot. I am interested in 20th C British History, and I even remember from childhood seeing the old Movie Tone reels about the abdicator and his duchess. It seemed such a bizarre story to me, a man who became King, but deserted his country at a time of its great need for leadership in favor of a woman who looked pretty much like my Grandmother. They always seemed so forlorn, traipsing from yacht to yacht, essentially homeless and completely without purpose.

Excellent insights into the character of King George 6th, both before and after his ascension to the throne. Briefly, to me at least, he seemed everything that his older brother was not, and a great royal partner for Churchill to get successfully through that war. Also it was clear that his skill in picking a mate was top drawer, as his wife Elizabeth could not have been better, for his needs, for his children, for British Royalty at a time when it had been made to look pretty bad, and eventually in her role as the King’s wife.

There is a Masterpiece Theater Upstairs Downstairs piece about this period that also gives a good look into the eventual king in the years leading up to the war.

Ha

But there is another version of events, i.e. that Edward the VIII was pushed out by Parliamentary leaders who did not accept his enthusiasm for Hitler. He made a very public visit to Hitler in 1937 after abdicating. After the fall of France, there were rumors that Edward was meeting with Nazis in Lisbon with a view toward effecting a restoration in the event that the Germans occupied the U.K. These were the reasons that Churchill rusticated Edward to the Bahamas for the duration of the war. The Duke spent his life golfing while the Duchess shopped. The epitome of the idle, useless, and possibly treasonous rich.

The character in the Upstairs Downstairs revival was not the future George VI, but a younger brother, the Duke of Kent, who was known as a flaming bisexual given to misbehaving in public. The male lead, named Hallam, becomes an equerry to the Duke of Kent in the last episode of the series. Evidently the writers were preparing a tragic ending for the Hallam character since the Duke of Kent died in a plane crash in Scotland during the war along with his equerry and several others.

The Duke of Kent was a lifelong friend of the Duke of Hamilton and was rumored to be present with the Duke of Hamilton at his house in Scotland on the night that Rudolf Hess crashed his plane a short distance away, possibly on his way to attempt to broker an armistice with the aristocrat, an old friend. The Duke of Hamilton was a leader of the pro-Nazi group of British aristocrats, quite possibly along with the Duke of Kent. The Duke of Hamilton was also the model for the pro-Nazi duke in Ishiguro's novel, "The Remains of the Day." The novel's theme is the waste of the butler's life in service to an aristocrat who is not worthy of such sacrifice.

All of which serves to remind me that this is the same class of people who inspired the guillotine, after all. I like a good costume drama as much as the next fellow, but I don't see it as any reason to abandon one's critical faculties, particularly for a genre as dubious as royalist propaganda.

Last edited:
WRT to Upstairs Donwstairs, looks like I had the wrong brother. The rest of what you say appears to be hearsay.

And I think you may have placed the guillotine on the wrong side of the Channel.

All of which serves to remind me that this is the same class of people who inspired the guillotine, after all. I like a good costume drama as much as the next fellow, but I don't see it as any reason to abandon one's critical faculties, particularly for a genre as dubious as royalist propaganda.

So I'm guessing you didn't watch the royal wedding, eh?

RE: King's speech -

Well, I was only relating what my friend described, I haven't seen it, so I don't know if I'd agree or not. And two people can come away with different impressions, or focus on different aspects of a film. At least the trailers seemed to focus on the speech impediment issue.

What I really like is when I see multiple ways to view the same film (or any art). But not so open-ended that it gets too vague.

-ERD50

*** Well, it seems to me if someone starts a thread in a discussion forum, they should expect discussion. It should be no surprise that some people will see things differently. Life would be very boring otherwise.

may i agree with that?

Back
Top Bottom