Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She was great in the movie "Panic Room", with a very young Kristen Stewart, plus Forest Whitaker and a very creepy Dwight Yoakam.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
A movie I wouldn't have thought I would love: Silence of the Lambs. Both she and Hopkins are amazing in it.
Don't forget Jodi in Taxi Driver. Or "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane". First movie I saw her in. She was a kid, but brilliant and wise beyond her years. Amazing performance.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't spend 1 second worrying or even interested in the lives or opinions of Hollywierd. Their huge pay checks are their rewards. What if it was company CEO's up there giving speeches and lauding up their success? They would be ridiculed by the public....
UnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Great actress. Very moving speech last night. Thank you, Ms Foster.
I have not seen it. Do you have a link?

What was it you found moving?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I remember her in and old episode of "Kung Fu".
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have a link.

To answer your question, I think she was very candid, what she said to her ailing mother was very nice, as well as her openness about her family life.

Sorry to read some harsh comments under this thread. At least, most posters agree with me she is a great actress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

I have not seen it. Do you have a link?

What was it you found moving?

-ERD50
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Surprised at the reactions. I think she is among the most boring actresses around. I never remember seeing her in a performance that is outstanding in any way, although I didn't see Taxi Driver.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

All I could think when I saw the clips from her speech was that she looks pretty darn good for 50.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Some people like sports, hunting, travel, theater, movies, music, beverages, forms of meds , etc. No need to rain on others who enjoy something you don't, imho. What was that mom used to say about if you can't say something nice.... (especially about something as unimportant as Hollywood--it's not like we ever had a president who was a movie star. Oh, wait....).

Some of those celebs are good only at getting publicity (having just read through a People-ish magazine in a waiting room, my reaction was mostly, "who the heck are these people?" And the answer is, people with publicists). I think Jodie Foster has stayed way out of those mags her whole life so can't fault her on that. She's no Kardashian.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(especially about something as unimportant as Hollywood--it's not like we ever had a president who was a movie star.
Star?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

She was also great in "The Brave One."
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Star?
Who is that man with Bonzo?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I looked at the video. Maybe she was on something; but since she made no sense, she might fit right into a political career.

Hard to imagine she could lower today's standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw it - thought she had a few loose marbles, or maybe a few too many glasses of bubbly...
I found a link, but I guess it was ~ 3.5 minutes of the total, but even at that, I don't get what there is to make a fuss of. I get tired of celebrities going on and on like their life is any more important than Joe/Jane down the street.

I'm not a big movie person, but "The King's Speech" was getting a lot of press, thought I might go see it. A friend who saw it summarized it for me:

"A royal, with almost unlimited resources faces a challenge. He overcomes it (with the help of almost unlimited resources). Many ordinary people face challenges, and they overcome them with limited resources. Ho Hum."

So I guess that's how I feel about any 'challenge' or 'situation' Ms Foster finds herself in. Deal with it, like so many others who don't have a soapbox to proclaim it to the world.

I've seen her in several movies, I really can't comment on if she is good, great, or merely competent. One actor that impressed me recently was Jamie Foxx, in "Ray". There was so much hype about his portrayal, and what I found is that one minute into the movie, I totally forgot about all I heard of his prep for the roll, learning the walk, mannerisms and such - and I just was immersed in the story. I think that is what an actor is supposed to do - get out of the way, and let the story come through. If you notice them, then maybe they aren't doing it right? It's almost an oxymoron. And I think it probably takes great skill to attain that.

Quote:
Some people like sports, hunting, travel, theater, movies, music, beverages, forms of meds , etc. No need to rain on others who enjoy something you don't, imho. What was that mom used to say about if you can't say something nice....
Well, it seems to me if someone starts a thread in a discussion forum, they should expect discussion. It should be no surprise that some people will see things differently. Life would be very boring otherwise.

Should we start an "Agree with Me" sub-forum? I've always felt one could start a blog for that and disable comments, or talk to a mirror.

-ERD50
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A movie I wouldn't have thought I would love: Silence of the Lambs. Both she and Hopkins are amazing in it.
I just watched Hopkins in the World's Fastest Indian (Motorcycle). He is really great. I've started watching a bunch of stuff with Sean Connery, too, but Hopkins is also just awesome.

Foster I remember from Silence of the Lambs. Not sure I've seen anything else of hers since Little Darlings.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last movie I saw her in was Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Neat to see some of those stars in old movies, before they became famous.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Should we start an "Agree with Me" sub-forum? I've always felt one could start a blog for that and disable comments, or talk to a mirror.
No more so than anyone should regularly go out of their way to be ornery, contrary and somewhat combative. Ideally, a "good community" should be both challenging *and* supportive as appropriate, and such challenge should come by challenging the ideas rather than by making the person who stated them feel like an idiot or a bad person.

Sure, it would be dull if people did nothing but agree with each other and sing Kumbaya. But it's also dysfunctional when some people seem interested in nothing but arguing.

People have every bit as much right to disagree with disagreeable postings as the person who was disagreeable has to be so. Disagreement is not censorship. Criticizing a critic is not censorship. So if you want to keep the "right" to criticize, you need to accept that others have the right to criticize you, not merely assert that they are trying to shut you up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No more so than anyone should regularly go out of their way to be ornery, contrary and somewhat combative. Ideally, a "good community" should be both challenging *and* supportive as appropriate, and such challenge should come by challenging the ideas rather than by making the person who stated them feel like an idiot or a bad person.

Sure, it would be dull if people did nothing but agree with each other and sing Kumbaya. But it's also dysfunctional when some people seem interested in nothing but arguing.

People have every bit as much right to disagree with disagreeable postings as the person who was disagreeable has to be so. Disagreement is not censorship. Criticizing a critic is not censorship. So if you want to keep the "right" to criticize, you need to accept that others have the right to criticize you, not merely assert that they are trying to shut you up.
Agreed, mostly - I was going to add to that, but I don't want to get caught up if you are speaking as moderator and not as poster, so maybe I'll PM you later - no big deal, but I gotta run anyhow.

-ERD50
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm not a big movie person, but "The King's Speech" was getting a lot of press, thought I might go see it. A friend who saw it summarized it for me:

"A royal, with almost unlimited resources faces a challenge. He overcomes it (with the help of almost unlimited resources). Many ordinary people face challenges, and they overcome them with limited resources. Ho Hum"....
-ERD50
I saw it more as a parallel of the reluctant monarch who never expected to be king and the reluctance of England to engage against Hitler. The drumbeat of the times carried the story. I did think the big picture was a bit abandoned at the end but perhaps it was more that the storylines merged. Probably good you chose not to see it.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed, mostly - I was going to add to that, but I don't want to get caught up if you are speaking as moderator and not as poster, so maybe I'll PM you later - no big deal, but I gotta run anyhow.

-ERD50
No, mod hat is off. When it's "on" I try to make that clear in my remarks. Otherwise I speak for me and me alone...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I saw it more as a parallel of the reluctant monarch who never expected to be king and the reluctance of England to engage against Hitler. The drumbeat of the times carried the story. I did think the big picture was a bit abandoned at the end but perhaps it was more that the storylines merged. Probably good you chose not to see it.
I liked this movie a lot. I am interested in 20th C British History, and I even remember from childhood seeing the old Movie Tone reels about the abdicator and his duchess. It seemed such a bizarre story to me, a man who became King, but deserted his country at a time of its great need for leadership in favor of a woman who looked pretty much like my Grandmother. They always seemed so forlorn, traipsing from yacht to yacht, essentially homeless and completely without purpose.

Excellent insights into the character of King George 6th, both before and after his ascension to the throne. Briefly, to me at least, he seemed everything that his older brother was not, and a great royal partner for Churchill to get successfully through that war. Also it was clear that his skill in picking a mate was top drawer, as his wife Elizabeth could not have been better, for his needs, for his children, for British Royalty at a time when it had been made to look pretty bad, and eventually in her role as the King’s wife.

There is a Masterpiece Theater Upstairs Downstairs piece about this period that also gives a good look into the eventual king in the years leading up to the war.

Ha