Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I forgot how brutal the 5th round was too! The closest fight I've seen that looked like a Rocky fantasy fight. As far as Frazier goes, I had forgotten until I read yesterday, that a Frazier-Ali 4 fight was going to be planned if he got by Cummings and Ali beat Berbick. They fought a week apart in 1981. Frazier got a generous draw decision and Ali lost a 10 round decision to Berbick. Neither one should have fought, and they both retired for good at that point.

If you had a fantasy fight, two fighters in the prime, who would you chose?

I'd say Cassius Clay (before he became Ali) and Mike Tyson. Would Clay dance and sting like a bee? Or would Tyson knock him out like he so easily did to his opponents?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I'd say Cassius Clay (before he became Ali) and Mike Tyson. Would Clay dance and sting like a bee? Or would Tyson knock him out like he so easily did to his opponents?
IMO Clay would win by a landslide! He'd be dancing around Tyson picking his punches and wearing him out, and Tyson wouldn't be able to land one on him.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
IMO Clay would win by a landslide! He'd be dancing around Tyson picking his punches and wearing him out, and Tyson wouldn't be able to land one on him.
I remember seeing videos of Clay, just standing, arms down and bobbing, having the opponents swinging and missing. Yet I do remember Tyson, bobbing back and forth and landing bombs on opponents a lot larger than himself.

Guess we can only wonder...
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

I personally would have liked to have seen Larry Holmes fought Ali , while both were in their prime. Their bout wasnt a fair one, with Holmes close to his peak and Ali way past his. Holmes really layed off him in respect, and it still wasnt close. As far as Tyson-Ali, Im a little biased as I really didnt get to watch Ali much until early 70's, not old enough to have seen his 60's peak. I personally think the young peak Tyson would have won against Ali. He was an absolute beast the first few years. I still remember the fear in (then over the hill) Larry Holmes's eyes after he got decked by Tyson for the first time in his career in the 4th round.If they (Tyson-Ali) fought both in their mid-career, however, I would give the edge to Ali.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Smokin' Joe Frazier's funeral:

Funeral held in Philadelphia for boxing great Joe Frazier; Ali in attendance - OrlandoSentinel.com