Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Joined the Gizmo crowd.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Joined the Gizmo crowd.

I have joined the the ipod owner's club. Yesterday bought a ipod touch. Naturally being the cheapskate, it is used, and for only $100. The kid selling it had it loaded with games. As a condition of purchase I required that he delete all games. Good fella that he is, he did so.

It is a gen 4. Whatever that means. Just in time to get the latest ios 5.0.1 update, released yesterday. To replace the buggy and battery draining ios 5.0.When the geeks develop a method to jailbreak it, it will get fireox, and dump safari. I did load firefox home app, and synced to my main 'puter's bookmarks. Charming, the stuff that can be done.

Did I need one, well maybe. reading a crib-sheet on some skating moves was not working on the ice. Found some neat youtube videos of real skilled ice dance instruction. Hmmm. If I get a device that can play videos in a pocket sized format, but larger than thumbnails I can have a moving image to look at in the rink, on the ice, rewind and look again, try, rinse, repeat.

Managed to find an online free format converter to MP4, got the video on the ipod. Tried it today, pretty good. Now to find strap arrangement so I can have it on the inside of my forearm in a horizontal position. I'll be in pig's heaven. Why forearm? Well.... when figure skating, the arms are mostly extended, and since they are might as well multi-task them.

Gee, maybe I should have two, one on each forearm, for when leading left there is one, when leading right there is another. Kinda like obama's teleprompters.

edit: maybe admins can correct headline, should say "crowd"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. And I notice that it is ten years to the day that the iPod has been available for sale, so you're not in danger of being called a trendy, spendthrift, early-adopter.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. I never thought I'd enjoy an iPod, but I got a Touch for my birthday and have found all kinds of uses for it. I especially like to have internet access from such a small device when I travel, even in the car. I'll whip into a McDonald's and look up the location of a store that I can't find, for instance. I also found it makes an awesome platform for Audubon guides - cool to have bird songs right there with the pictures. Someone told me that you can also put music on it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Be sure to get the app for this forum, it is excellent. Most of my posts, including this one, are made on my iPod touch.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Be sure to get the app for this forum, it is excellent. Most of my posts, including this one, are made on my iPod touch.
Agreed - I almost never visit the website, just the forums through the various apps. Kudos to this board for being so ahead of the curve on technology access.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Al, Got the forum app loaded. Used it to read forum. Will play later with posting test.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
gone traveling

ls99, now that your drinking the coolaide maybe an iPad will be in your future
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
ls99, now that your drinking the coolaide maybe an iPad will be in your future
Hey, hey, hey let us not get carried away.

Sipped a wee bit of the coolaide, not sure about the taste yet.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #9

I finally joined the 21st century with a purchase of a smartphone (iPhone4S) two weeks ago.

To be honest, I thought smartphones were more toys than functual, but so far I have to admit they are extremely useful tools to stay connected when on the road.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

Ipod touch owner here as well, I have over 10,000 pictures, numerous home movies, a half dozen books or so on it. It is really a neat little ingenious device that has many practical uses. I picked up a used 4th generation with 32GB of memory from some college kid that just went for the newest the Iphone, found it on craigslist.

I'm seriously thinking of buying an Ipad2 for DW so she can be a little more fluent on the internet and it is a great tool to use with the grandkids for reading, spelling and numerous other educational uses.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The top three things I use it for:

Recipes: all are on googledocs.

Books: I always have something to read if, for example, Lena wants to spend time in the knitting store.

Checklists and shopping lists.