Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

That person wouldn't have been allowed to be on stage with D. P. Mark I, II, III, or IV.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That person wouldn't have been allowed to be on stage with D. P. Mark I, II, III, or IV.

��
But she probably would have with Pink Floyd, which is where the quote came from. I didn't quite get the cross-connect with Deep Purple. I suspect she could have done the wailing part of Great Gig in the Sky quite well.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

In homage to Deep Purple, "Machine Head" is still a favorite album.

As for Pink Floyd, the first time I saw them live was the '77 tour, which featured (mostly) "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals". Also featured Roger Waters spitting on an audience member, which some conclude was one of the things that lead to him writing "The Wall".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In homage to Deep Purple, "Machine Head" is still a favorite album.

As for Pink Floyd, the first time I saw them live was the '77 tour, which featured (mostly) "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals". Also featured Roger Waters spitting on an audience member, which some conclude was one of the things that lead to him writing "The Wall".
Not to be derailing my own thread, but I mostly agree about "Machine Head", although I really really like "Made in Japan". Both contain my favorite song by them - "Lazy".
Old 04-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My mistake I took it as a reference to Deep Purple's "In the Absence of Pink". Refer to post #28.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Absence_of_Pink

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I am 49 years old. So I turned 18 in late 1983. I have heard of all the other groups mentioned in this thread, and am big fans of some (James Taylor, Paul McCartney).
Joni Mitchell was not as popular and her music did not easily fit a specific radio genre. You'll probably recognize her most popular song

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Joni Mitchell was not as popular and her music did not easily fit a specific radio genre. You'll probably recognize her most popular song

Interesting. I would have thought Big Yellow Taxi would have been her most popular. But that's a good one too. My favorite is Coyote.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Joni Mitchell's early major song, Both Sides, Now, was recorded by Judy Collins right after it was written by Joni and was hugely popular, so most people associated it with JC for a long time (not that Kramer or many others would know JC's name today either, necessarily). JM was a very creative songwriter imo and I hope her songs continue to make her a very wealthy woman regardless of who recorded them.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Another update/rumor - Joni Mitchell: Which Of The Conflicting Health Reports Are True?. It sounds like the website report that she is conscious and may hopefully recover is true. I hope so.

My favorite, with my favorite of her bands (Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias, Pat Metheny).

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Circle Game has always been my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Interesting. I would have thought Big Yellow Taxi would have been her most popular. But that's a good one too. My favorite is Coyote.
Six of one... I was thinking about radio popularity, but don't recall any of her music being popular on the radio. I wish her the best.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Six of one... I was thinking about radio popularity, but don't recall any of her music being popular on the radio. I wish her the best.
Nope, you're right. "Help Me" made it to no. 7 on the charts, "BYT" only made it to no. 67 (the later Live version made it to no. 24). Good ol' Google.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Another update/rumor - Joni Mitchell: Which Of The Conflicting Health Reports Are True?. It sounds like the website report that she is conscious and may hopefully recover is true. I hope so.
+1 I am hoping she recovers also.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I was lucky to see Joni live in Bethel NY, at a concert entitled "A Day In The Garden". My former BIL was a huge Joni fan, and convinced me to drive 4 hours for a long day trip to see her. I always liked her Court and Spark album. I believe the year was 1998.

It was standing room only. I got the brilliant idea to tell people in front of me that my boyfriend was up front, and managed to get a bit closer to the stage.
I got close enough to see her teeth when she sang. I hung out for 2 songs and then returned to where my BIL was standing, further back. He couldn't believe I had the nerve to do that.

We crashed in the car for a few hours before driving back home the same day.

It was all well worth it !
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It was standing room only. I got the brilliant idea to tell people in front of me that my boyfriend was up front, and managed to get a bit closer to the stage.
I got close enough to see her teeth when she sang.
I love Joni and think she's beautiful, but you probably didn't have to get all that close to see her teeth.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok , now you made me do it...I just listened to the album "Court and Spark"...three times. I think I still have the vinyl someplace...hmmm. Genius.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love Joni and think she's beautiful, but you probably didn't have to get all that close to see her teeth.

Yes, I also think she is beautiful, and such an amazing talent, both as composer and performer. I guess you could say she is 'toothy', but it works somehow, makes her distinctively alluring, rather than being distracting.

I recall listening to her early works, and thinking, how can a person so young come up with such 'life experience' songs? I feel the same of Dylan. Her later works are great too, but by that time it kind of makes sense to me that one could write like that (assuming they are a genius of course).

Oh well, hope her health returns. Here's a very, very early video of her (17? - edit - nope 22-23) - you get a sense of her future greatness, and (IMO) is just stunningly beautiful:

I love how she changes the tone of her voice on certain syllables, I think that is what makes her sound distinctive. At ~ 2:08 in that video - just like me-e-e-e- (when she goes lower for the last 'eee', her tone changes).

And the Blue album - what a masterpiece. I never did see her in concert though.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I got into Joni's music much later, in the 1990s, with the Turbulent Indigo album. That superb collection features a low, sultry, reflective voice; I was surprised to learn that her early voice/range was much higher. (I trust the cigarettes have something to do with that.)

But the killer Joni performance, for me, is the one below. (An interesting comparison to the version linked by easysurfer above.) It exudes the message that she's been through a lot, and is a survivor. Hope she pulls through.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #59
Administrator

An update, including some detail about her condition https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...eurysm-sources

Quote:
What precipitated Joni Mitchell's weeks-long hospitalization is coming into view as sources reveal to Billboard that the singer suffered a brain aneurysm.
According to the report she has been moved to a rehab facility.