Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Another wake-up call for those who believe they'll be riding jet skis in Cancun at 85 (maybe, maybe not). I was shocked when George Harrison died at 58. Pavarotti died at just 71, and Leonard Nimoy at 83. For those intent on building PF's designed to last to age 100 based on "medical advances", there is such a thing as over engineering.
Well said! Many examples of that. Most people past 85 or so are just as happy wherever they are. New gadgets, travel, etc. has little impact on them. Have been trying all day to motivate 79 year old MIL to sit outside in the sun for a few minutes. The couch is apparently more comfortable.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
To give Kramer the benefit of the doubt, even though Joni Mitchell is a legend in folk and pop music, perhaps he doesn't really follow folk and pop.

On the other hand, it is nice, as some generation Y folks are saying, how nice it is that Kanye West is helping this guy named Paul McCartney, promoting his career by recording a duet with him
I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to have never heard of her, but I would assume age to be the most likely.

I remember talking to younger (21-ish) coworker in the mid-80s, and somehow Paul McCartney's name came up. She said "Oh yeah, that guy who used to be in Wings".
Old 04-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to have never heard of her, but I would assume age to be the most likely.
Agreed, but it's not always the case. I used to work in a record store in Hollywood and remember the day a middle-aged gentleman came up to me and asked if we had anything by "Bob Die-lan". That's how he pronounced it. I wondered how any Westerner his age could have gone his while life without once having heard someone say the name Bob Dylan.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

You brought back a memory, but I was very young. . .maybe still in elementary school or early highschool? I asked a friend whether she had every heard of "Bobby Die-lan" and was immediately hooted off the playground for my ignorance. I remember nearly dying of teenage shame.

As to Joni Mitchell she was HUGE in the 70s when I was a student. Hard to think that anyone who was conscious during that period (some weren't, of course. . .) didn't know the name.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #25

Before we were married Ms G and I went to see Joni at the Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia MD. Ms G is a big fan of Joni, of course we didn't go together she went with her GF's, and I went with mine. We still don't talk about that or the day we ran into each other at the Preakness with other people.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #26

Marita - reminds me of my first day at high school. I walked past a group of long-haired older rocker-type kids. They called out to me, an obvious new kid. One of them asked what kind of music I was into. Wanting to hedge my bets, in an attempt to maximize my chances of being approved of, I answered, "Oh, you know - all types." "We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."

As you can imagine, any hopes I had of being accepted by the "cool" kids were immediately dashed!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't live a long way from Joni's home town. While they wish her the best, she won't be getting the 'key to the city' when/if she returns. Too many nasty comments about the place.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
"We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."
Oh by the way, which one is Pink?
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Perfect! (Great album, too.)

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Marita - reminds me of my first day at high school. I walked past a group of long-haired older rocker-type kids. They called out to me, an obvious new kid. One of them asked what kind of music I was into. Wanting to hedge my bets, in an attempt to maximize my chances of being approved of, I answered, "Oh, you know - all types." "We're into Deep Purple" he said. I didn't know who Deep Purple were, and I thought he had said Steve Purple, so I replied, "Yeah he's good. I like him."

As you can imagine, any hopes I had of being accepted by the "cool" kids were immediately dashed!
"Oh by the way, which one's pink?"
Old 04-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #31

Oops, guess I should have read all the posts HAHAHA. Crazy this post was nearly identical to scrinch. I feel a little teeny bit like the kid on the playground
Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #32

Great minds think alike

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Great minds think alike
Or small minds think alike!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post

But the killer Joni performance, for me, is the one below. (An interesting comparison to the version linked by easysurfer above.) It exudes the message that she's been through a lot, and is a survivor. Hope she pulls through.

I have to agree this is my favorite rendition of "Both Sides now ".
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just curious, but how old are you? She was a huge presence in the late 60s/70s, along with James Taylor, CSN&Y, Dylan, etc. I'm wondering if most people in Gen X and later ever heard of her.
I am 49 years old. So I turned 18 in late 1983. I have heard of all the other groups mentioned in this thread, and am big fans of some (James Taylor, Paul McCartney).
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I am 49 years old. So I turned 18 in late 1983. I have heard of all the other groups mentioned in this thread, and am big fans of some (James Taylor, Paul McCartney).
Thanks for posting the details. I was curious, too, but doesn't seem that unusual now that I think about it.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I think the fact that her remakes were done by more current singers probably contributed to your missing her completely. You probably would have missed the Beatles had they not been so famous.

(I have heard of Jerry Vale only because my Mom loved him.)
Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #38

Here's another Joni Mitchell song that plays in my head quite a bit.

Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

A buddy of mine just sent me a list of Rolling Stones 50 Greatest Live Albums, and Joni's Miles of Aisles comes in at no. 39. It was a great album, just as she was moving into her jazz phase, and just as I was starting college. It was quite popular in my dorm room.

On a side note, I was at the concert (one of the two days) of the no. 49 album, Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. My brush with fame.