Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Journey Through the 6 Stages of Retirement
Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Journey Through the 6 Stages of Retirement

Obviously the experience is (very) different for each of us, but an easy reading summary. This is the part I encourage pre-retirees to give some thought to...
Quote:
Life planning is an important key to successful retirement. Workers that have given serious time and thought to what they will do after they retire will generally experience a smoother transition than those who haven't. But it is never too soon to begin mapping out the course of the rest of your life.
Journey Through The 6 Stages Of Retirement

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article. Thanks.

From the article, stages 4 on sound pretty grim. But here's a description of the third phase:

Quote:
3. Honeymoon Phase - I'm Free!
Of course, honeymoons follow more than just weddings. Once the retirement celebrations are over, a period often follows where retirees get to do all the things that they wanted to do once they stopped working, such as travel, indulge in hobbies, visit relatives and so forth. This phase has no set time frame and will vary depending upon how much honeymoon activity the retiree has planned.
NO WONDER I'm still stuck in Phase 3. When it comes to those things that I wanted to do once I stopped working, I have enough left to last 5 lifetimes. I am never going to feel "let down" or wonder, "Is this all there is?" because there is so much more that I want/need to do now that I have stopped working.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
NO WONDER I'm still stuck in Phase 3.
Yep, in a couple of days I'll celebrate six seven years stuck in Phase 3!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, in a couple of days I'll celebrate six years stuck in Phase 3!
I thought there were only three stages to begin with...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guesss I am stuck in stage 1...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I thought there were only three stages to begin with...
If you do it right, there may only be 1 thru 3 and then 6, you can avoid 4 & 5. I suspect folks who retire without plans and/or just to escape something, might have to work through all six...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Administrator

Another one stuck in stage 3. No disenchantment, no new identity. Also no complaints.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think this guy just made this stuff up.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
"Retirees must face what is essentially the last transition in their lives."
Nice article but I completely disagree with that one statement. I don't feel like retirement is the last transition to anything - it's just one more step along the journey, and I've never had much of a clue where this journey is taking me. And I like it that way!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #10

It is pretty simplistic. I remember a short period of time after FI and before RE after I made the decision to RE of a general letdown. It was blasted away by RE. There was another short period after RE where it was "Holy Crap! What have I done?"

Good summary but not entirely applicable to my real life journey.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, in a couple of days I'll celebrate six seven years stuck in Phase 3!
Damn, you must be getting old.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #12

I have a touch of stage four but hopefully working on stage 5.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Unlike you, I haven't figured out a way to 'hold' at 52...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another one stuck in stage 3. No disenchantment, no new identity. Also no complaints.
Same here. There isn't any stage after #3.

Because I worked PT for 7 years before I ERed, I had begun several activities with my added time I could not do while I worked FT. By the time I ERed, I was working only 2 days a week so to go from that to working zero days a week was not huge change to my daily lifestyle, just ridding myself of the "nuisance" to my weekly schedule called "working." Switching from FT to PT back in 2001 was a bigger change because it enabled me to partake in those activities to begin with. That was the big transition, not as much ERing.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Nice article but I completely disagree with that one statement. I don't feel like retirement is the last transition to anything - it's just one more step along the journey, and I've never had much of a clue where this journey is taking me. And I like it that way!
+1 Good observation, and I couldn't agree more. My life is still unfolding and changing. Just because I am retired, doesn't mean that I have one foot in the grave, so naturally the journey continues.

Another quote that I disagree with is this, taken from the description of Stage 5:
Quote:
Perhaps the most difficult aspects of this stage to manage are the inevitable self-examination questions that must be answered once again, such as "Who am I, now?", "What is my purpose at this point?" and "Am I still useful in some capacity?"
"Am I still useful" and "what is my purpose" imply that I am not really a human being with innate worth that I express every day in everything that I do, but instead some sort of tool that has no value unless being used (useful to whom? comes to mind). To me discussion of Stage 5 is a continuation of the type of societal brainwashing that keeps so many working when they don't have to work or want to work. I will state here and now that I do not believe that one's self-worth must or even should depend upon returning to the salt mines day after day. Furthermore, I think it is sad, though understandable, that so many people fall for this line of thought after a lifetime of societal conditioning..

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
18 years - I wa layed off at age 49. The plan was early retirement at 63.

Phases, PHASES!! I don need no stinking phases!

heh heh heh - Interesting article.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

As a single person, I guess I am stuck at stage 3 forever. Not so bad.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

+1 Good observation, and I couldn't agree more. My life is still unfolding and changing. Just because I am retired, doesn't mean that I have one foot in the grave, so naturally the journey continues.

Another quote that I disagree with is this, taken from the description of Stage 5:

"Am I still useful" and "what is my purpose" imply that I am not really a human being with innate worth that I express every day in everything that I do, but instead some sort of tool that has no value unless being used (useful to whom? comes to mind). To me discussion of Stage 5 is a continuation of the type of societal brainwashing that keeps so many working when they don't have to work or want to work. I will state here and now that I do not believe that one's self-worth must or even should depend upon returning to the salt mines day after day. Furthermore, I think it is sad, though understandable, that so many people fall for this line of thought after a lifetime of societal conditioning..
Amen, W2R! Useless pseudo intellectual psycho babble talk for stage 5. I never had a goal in retirement until now. And that will be to never make it to stage 5.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I will state here and now that I do not believe that one's self-worth must or even should depend upon returning to the salt mines day after day. Furthermore, I think it is sad, though understandable, that so many people fall for this line of thought after a lifetime of societal conditioning..
W2R, obviously you are a dangerous radical!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

The author is a CFP (and I clicked on his name to see what more-recent articles he has on that site--the most interesting one spoke to other planners about ways to increase their prospects now that the no-call list has limited cold calls; he suggests tax preparation and mortgage brokering, not to bring in money, but to give planners access to personal financial information that the potential planning clients might be loath to provide otherwise. Ick).

For us the stages of retirement so far are:
Leave work.
Worry a little.
Euphoria.
Euphoria.
Euphoria.