July 4, 1976- Where were you?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
What were you doing 30 years ago on the 200th anniversery of the birth of the USA?

I was staying at the Gunter Hotel in downtown San Antonio Texas. I was in town to attend a 2 week class at Ft. Sam Houston, but the post did not have room for all of us so they billited us in the hotel and bused us to the post every AM.

SA had a great parade that day (as most of the USA did) and the parade marched right past the hotel on Houston Street, so I got a great seat for the festivities.

I was a lolita-ish, tanned hard bodied 14 year old smoking a fatty on a beach in Hawaii. I'm not joking either.

Lake Winnipesauke New Hampshire. Probably misspelled that. Big parade, lots of station wagons full of people.

Taking a few days off from the Air Force running around Philadelphia

i was 19 partying in fort lauderdale, on break from partying college in tampa. this was the lauderdale of spring break motels, long before the 4/5-star hotels evolved. right after i left for school my parents sold the house and moved back aboard. the boat was docked right at the top of "the strip." every afternoon residents & local boaters would bring food & drink to the pool. very social, floating backgammon tables, chicken fights in the water. very fun.

night time was filled with sex fireworks on the beach. hmmm. come to think of it, it's been 30 years and not a whole lot has change.

Ann Arbor, Michigan in grad school. Rode my bike to a great fireworks display which was followed by a much greater thunder and lightning display.

Yea CFB left off an e at the end..very good though.

If I remember correctly ( I was a 22 yr old in much the same shape and condition as cube rat) I was house sitting my parents while they took their boat down to Boston Harbor for the festivites. I think they had tall ships come thru but I could be mistaken on the year, it's really all a blurr. I did go to the huge fireworks display here that was shot over the river, next to the Boston show it was the best I've ever seen.

cube_rat said:
I was a lolita-ish, tanned hard bodied 14 year old smoking a fatty on a beach in Hawaii.  I'm not joking either.

Cube: You are still Lolita to me. :D

We had a picnic with friends and then went into D.C. for the fireworks on the national mall. They were the most spectacular fireworks I've every seen.

Grumpy

I was 16 and in a summer science program for high-schoolers at University of Florida in Gainsville FL. Came out of that deciding to become an Electrical Engineer rather than a Biochemist. Turned out to be a good move for me as it put me right on the path to ER (even though I had no such financial interests at the time).

Audrey

I was working the night shift in the local hospital watching people get old, sick and die.  Came out of that deciding to become a Biochemist rather than a Physician.  Turned out to be a good move for me as it ...  Well, I was already thinking about ER when I was giving those early a.m. enemas.

Unemployed, drawing an unemployment check, spending my recent acquisition of a 16K liquidation of a retirement account from my last job (not understanding I would have to pay taxes on early withdrawal), at the beach in San Diego, and not a care in the world (as I remember it).  I wonder if the phrase "the more things change the more they remain the same" applies here.  Ask me again in 30 years.   

cube_rat said:
I was a lolita-ish, tanned hard bodied 14 year old smoking a fatty on a beach in Hawaii. I'm not joking either.

Any photos?

Mike D.

grumpy said:
We had a picnic with friends and then went into D.C. for the fireworks on the national mall. They were the most spectacular fireworks I've every seen.

Grumpy

I was 22 and about to get married on the 16th. My future MIL waited for a long time in line and got us tickets to see the big aforementioned fireworks display from the roof of the Kennedy Center in DC. Really good fireworks.

Mike D.

17 years old. Working my first Sunday at Arby's in South Bend, IN. Roast beefs were $0.94, small drinks (12 oz., you can't get them that small any more) were $0.25!

Ah yesss...ahhhbies with horsey sauce. Five for five bucks not that long ago...

And those french fries made out of some kind of mashed potato that came out of a machine...

Yummy.

Outtahere said:
I was house sitting my parents while they took their boat down to Boston Harbor for the festivites. I think they had tall ships come thru but I could be mistaken on the year, it's really all a blurr.

good memory, that was the year of the tall ships. they toured a bunch of u.s. ports and most i think were in new york harbor for the 4th. biggest sail i've been on was the www.clearwater.org . my folks were supporters when we lived in the area. i'd love to sail on a tall ship some day. that must be just amazing.

audreyh1 said:
I was 16 and in a summer science program for high-schoolers at University of Florida in Gainsville FL.

i missed you in g-ville by just a bit. i was there 1978/1980. what great fun a great school that was.

Attachments

• tall ships.jpg
    tall ships.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 83
  • tall ships.jpg_thumb
    32.2 KB · Views: 1
26, recently out of the military but stayed in Europe. Spent 7/4/76 skiing on a glacier in northern Italy. Can't remember name.

RE2boys

We were married just over a year at the time. We were at a BBQ at my FIL's house after spending the day with my mother and father) at our annual shared birthday parties with me and my mother. Later we went to the C. Club (he was an avid golfer) and watched fireworks. Later we watched the various big city shows on TV. Not exactly exciting but it was in a younger more naive time. It was before kids, before debts, (we rented a duplex), fun when we could find it, (wife was an RN and worked every weekend and holiday for the first 5 years we were married), and it was a time of dreams and expectations. I still remember the expecations of an uncharted future.

This one was spent at home with my DW who is still recovering from a very painful surgery. I have not enjoyed very much over the past 4 weeks as I have been her primary caretaker and companion during two extended hospital stays and now home recovery. We hope next year will be much better.

14, on a family vacation from NY to California and back, by road. On July 4, 1976 we were at Pikes Peak, Colorado, and it was snowing.

Steve, prayers for your DW.....

kate

Just back home where I was stationed in Germany after a month-long camping vacation in Spain. We (DW and 4 year old son) had camped for a week on the beach at Estepona next to a 40-ish couple that retired from the army and lived in an RV, mostly in ski areas in Austria and Switzerland in the winters, and near beaches along the Mediterranean during summer, and had done so for ~5 years.

Here's a snapshot from the trip... this guy should have retired early himself, like the army guy!

Attachments

• Bullfight-Madrid-summer-76.jpg
    Bullfight-Madrid-summer-76.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Bullfight-Madrid-summer-76.jpg_thumb
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
French Quarter/Bourbon Street/New Orleans.

I think there was a fireworks display off a barge in the Mississippi but:confused:??

Ahem!!! - French Quarter/ New Orleans - need I say more.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - burp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom