Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
Thank for you sincerity, but I was taken aback by 2). As a recent retiree I am trying to build a routine to keep occupied. Is there something that I do no know about? Does boredom creep in if we do not stay vigilant?
I know you weren't addressing me, but I thought I'd jump in and mention that it just depends on the person. Everyone told me I would be bored when I retired, but during the first 3+ years I can tell you honestly that I haven't been bored at all. Life has been pretty interesting and fun for me since I retired.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been called 5 or 6 times in my life. Was selected and seated as a juror the last two times I was called.

The first case was 3 or 4 years ago, and involved charges like rapes, conspiracy to commit murder, arson, etc... It lasted a month. It caused me a lot of distress.

The second case was last year, and a simple cut-and-dry DUI that should be pleaded guilty. It still took 2 days. We were not told but I suspected it was the defendant's last ditch effort, futile as it was, as he might have a lot to lose such as facing deportation.

Having served twice, I have done enough, and will ask to be excused next time.

PS. I did not even file to claim for the pay. I figured it was my donation to the system.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I did once - child molestation case & it lasted 2 weeks - very sad all around but very educational wrt the process and how cops forensically analyze 'pooters and cell phones.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

After I naturalized as a citizen 25 years ago, I got summoned right way. I wanted the experience so during jury selection I tried not to be partial, and got selected. It was a simple case: a young man burglarized a house that belonged to a professor. The DA office did a very good job of preparing the evidence. We even went to the top of the building looking down to simulate how police helicopter could see the suspect easily that way.

The judge kind of hinted that this is a short case and we can all go home by the end of Friday. We went into the deliberation room and stayed few hours and decided on the verdict.

Later on, I was summoned 5-6 more times, but since I now worked for companies that do not pay for jury duties anymore, I got myself out each time.

After I retire, I might try to get on again.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Besides the 3 times I got called for jury duty (from my previous post), I think about another time I got called but did not have to appear because I had moved out of the jurisdiction (Manhattan) 9 months earlier. This was back in late 1986 when I was moving often, and I had actuallly moved twice in those 9 months in 1986, the first time out of Manhattan. The big case which began in December, 1986, was the Bernie Goetz subway shooting trial. It took 4 months for jury selection to complete through April, 1987, so there is a decent chance I would have been questioned at some point in the selection process.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #26

On a related note, because Tx uses drivers licenses to summon jurors (not voter registration because it does not give a representative pool), and because the vital records department does not tell the drivers license folks that a person has died, my father got called for jury duty 6 years after his death. I called the courthouse and told them that a secance might be possible, but the judge would likley object. They apologized and removed his name from the pool. (Since then his drivers license expired so there is no more issue). Apparently also because they use drivers licenses a lot of legal aliens get called, and get automatic excuses, as well as folks who have moved outside the jurisdiction in question.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I volunteered as an English-language tutor for immigrants for several years. The organization which arranges the tutor-immigrant pairings doesn't ask for documents from the immigrants. I had one student who I assumed was in the US illegally. One day she brought in a summons for jury duty she had received. I asked her if she was a US citizen. She said yes, and then proceeded to explain to me (in Spanish) the convoluted tale about how she had come to the country legally many years earlier.

She worked and lived in the US almost entirely in a Spanish-speaking world for years, and there was no way that she could be a competent juror with her poor English-language ability. I called up the county court system on her behalf and attempted to explain why she could not be a competent juror. They quite reasonably assumed she was just another person who was trying to get out of jury duty. I explained that I was just a volunteer tutor who had no dog in the fight, and I gave them the name and phone number of the non-profit organization which arranged for the tutoring. I explained that they had evaluated the student and could verify her poor English ability. The court clerk relented and exempted the woman from reporting for jury duty.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been called three times, but never picked. The first time was the Federal Grand Jury in Pensacola. I hoped to get picked for that one. It sat once a month for a year. They paid for mileage, hotel and your time.

The District Judge here is on our board. When my boss got called, the DA asked her if there was any reason she couldn't serve. She said, "-------," calling the Judge by his first name, "I mean the Judge, is kind of my boss. He serves on our board and I have known him all my life."
The DA said, "You have known all of us up here all our lives. If you don't think it will cause you to be bias, it's alright with me if you serve."
She was picked.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #29

I'm on the frequent juror list - get called about every 15 months. The one day/one trial is kind of a misnomer - if you go for voir dire (questioning to be part of the jury) and get held over to the 2nd day of voir dire - you still are on the frequent list. (One year till they can call you again.)

If you get selected for a trial - you are off the hook for 3 years.

I've only served on one trial. But I've sat in the waiting room and/or done voir dire at least a dozen times. I guess lawyers don't like me. LOL.

I find the process interesting. I was on the other side of it once (charged with a crime, acquitted by the jury, had a judge enter a verdict of "factual innocence".) I am a big believer in the jury system.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
1. I need the money.
If I missed the sarcasm, forgive me, but how much do you get paid by the day for jury duty in your neck of the woods?

We get $7.50 a day, which doesn't cover parking.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think the prosecutors automatically reject anybody with a beard from a drug trial. I've been called twice, but they rejected me without even asking a question. I could understand it the first time since I was wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt under my white shirt and tie. But the second time (many years later, and a different jurisdiction) I was looking as straight as I could, and they still dumped me without a question. Beardism is discrimination!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #32

I am actually looking forward to my jury call this Thursday. It's in a justice of the peace court, the lowest level of court in Texas. They hear traffic cases, small claims disputes and low-level misdemeanors punishable by fines only. Could be entertaining.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think the prosecutors automatically reject anybody with a beard from a drug trial. I've been called twice, but they rejected me without even asking a question. I could understand it the first time since I was wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt under my white shirt and tie. But the second time (many years later, and a different jurisdiction) I was looking as straight as I could, and they still dumped me without a question. Beardism is discrimination!
It's properly called beardophobia, a somewhat more egregious level of discrimination.

Ha
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
If I missed the sarcasm, forgive me, but how much do you get paid by the day for jury duty in your neck of the woods?

We get $7.50 a day, which doesn't cover parking.
I assume they were referring to hanging around the courthouse while still being paid by their employer??

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #35

If my beard would bring on discrimination I wonder if riding to court on my motorcycle dressed in old school black leather jacket and chaps would also count against me to be chosen for jury duty.

Actually I wouldn't mind being chosen again even though the last time was a waste of taxpayers money and my time. The thief pleaded not guilty and we sat around in court for two days before he finally admited guilt just as the trial was beginning.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
I am actually looking forward to my jury call this Thursday. It's in a justice of the peace court, the lowest level of court in Texas. They hear traffic cases, small claims disputes and low-level misdemeanors punishable by fines only. Could be entertaining.
This is the court which first heard the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas landmark case a few years earlier, before it worked its way up through the state courts and to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Maybe the next big SCOTUS case will originate there, too?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Maybe the next big SCOTUS case will originate there, too?
Anything is possible, I guess, but I'm just hoping for a juicy bad check story or a chance to thoughtfully deliberate reasonable doubt on PI or disturbing the peace.

This particular JP has been on the bench since 1974. I'm thinking the courtroom atmosphere will have much more in common with Judge Wapner than Chief Justice Roberts.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #38

I've been called 7 or 8 times in the past 15 years or so. Just sat around and was never picked. I don't know why so many of the same people are called over and over. I think the pool of victims, (selectees), is much smaller than the general population since many people do not qualify. The Federal jury pools are the worst. I have to drive 100 miles one way after answering a forced mail in question pool of questions like, "what kind of bumper stickers do you have on your car?".

I hope I don't ever get selected anymore. I am fed up with that. If I want to be bored, I will do it on my time. I am not a retiree, yet. My time will be even more valuable after I retire since there's so many other things I will be doing on my time. And I certainly do not need the money. I do not want to be forced to sit on a panel and be fed a bunch of "facts", without being able to to ask my own questions about the case on both sides. What the lawyers are supposed to do and often don't. I could also see the need to be worried about my own safety after the trial is over. Sorry for the negativity...but that's the way I feel.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
The Federal jury pools are the worst. I have to drive 100 miles one way after answering a forced mail in question pool of questions like, "what kind of bumper stickers do you have on your car?".
They actually ask you that? I wonder what it would take to disqualify you? Grateful Dead? Coexist? NRA? Or maybe my current favorite - "If I passed you on the right, you're in the wrong lane." I had to buy that one when I moved to Maryland.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I do not want to be forced to sit on a panel and be fed a bunch of "facts", without being able to to ask my own questions about the case on both sides. What the lawyers are supposed to do and often don't. I could also see the need to be worried about my own safety after the trial is over. Sorry for the negativity...but that's the way I feel.
Dave, one of my friends was on a Grand Jury for a murder case. In the Grand Jury, you do get to ask questions. Or at least you do here.