Join Early Retirement Today

Jury Duty
Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jury Duty

I received a summons for county jury duty via USPS this week. this is the first summons I've received since I've been over 65. The instructions say: "citizens over sixty-five (65) years of age may claim an exemption if they so desire."

I've rather enjoyed the few times I've been on jury duty, so I've decided to go for it.

Here's a few reasons if they ask why I didn't claim the exemption.

1. I need the money.
2. This helps relieve the boredom of being retired.
3. I'm not dead yet and this is my civic duty. I also donate blood platelets regularly, which is also a major time commitment.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I received a summons for county jury duty via USPS this week. this is the first summons I've received since I've been over 65. The instructions say: "citizens over sixty-five (65) years of age may claim an exemption if they so desire."

I've rather enjoyed the few times I've been on jury duty, so I've decided to go for it.

1. I need the money.
3. I'm not dead yet and this is my civic duty. I also donate blood platelets regularly, which is also a major time commitment.
I was on a jury for a long trial, quite a few jurors shared your first two criteria.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

4. I want to see the dude or dudette fry.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
5. I'm hoping to write a best selling book and I need a topic.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

My parents both spend all day watching court cases on t.v., so I'd be a bit annoyed if they said no to jury duty. I'm glad you are getting out to perform your duty, but I do see why the option is there. Not everyone wants to spend retirement listening to bickering.
Powor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

6. I would like to serve on a jury at least once some day, for the life experience. In other words I want to know what it is like. It is all a mystery to me, and yet a fair trial by jury is an integral part of our democracy. I want to participate (but not as the accused! ).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't seen a jury notice in at least 10 yrs. I used to get them every couple of years. I guess they lost my name. However, I wouldn't mind serving if called. I'm not ready to volunteer yet.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have served on a jury a few times. Thought my general dislike of mouthpieces and the legal system in general would be a major annoyance for me. Actually I found it rather interesting. What I had a problem with was my fellow jurors. Total absence of critical thinking skills, logic, and an ability to understand the judges very clear instructions. Wanted to strangle them but felt doing that in a jury deliberation room would end up in a "movie within a movie" type thing and be rather weird. Didn't know if I would own the book rights to my own story.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have been called for jury duty 3 times and never minded it at all. The first two times, in 1987 and 1996, were when I was working full-time so the short drive to the county courthouse was a lot better than the long train ride to my office. And I still got paid full wages without using any vacation time for the days I was out. In 1987 I got on a case which went to verdict (we convicted her for shoplifting). In 1996, I did not get on a case after serving for 2 days but just having my day end earlier meant that I was able to do some things in the early evening I could not do had I worked a normal day. The third time was in 2007 when I was working only 2 days a week. I did not get on a case after one day and was dismissed (and got paid full wages for it). I figure I am clear for a few more years but they can call me whenever they feel like it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I served for a case that was almost two weeks long.

It's funny the excuses folks try to not get selected. One guy wanting to get dismissed said "I hate lawyers"

What was odd in the selection process on the case I was on, the plaintiff's attorney didn't even ask me a single question whereas the defense's attorney did ask a few.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
6. I would like to serve on a jury at least once some day, for the life experience. In other words I want to know what it is like. It is all a mystery to me, and yet a fair trial by jury is an integral part of our democracy. I want to participate (but not as the accused! ).

I've only be summoned to jury duty twice in my life despite being registered to vote or what ever else they use to make the lists. I only ended up have to go one time for about 3 days, and wasn't seated on a jury.

Now that I am retired, being on jury for a reasonable involved crime is on my bucket list.

Plus who knows maybe if it is an important enough trial I can get interviewed by Charlie Rose, another thing on my bucket list .
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #12

I'd prefer not to. I've spent enough time in courtrooms being bored. But if called I would serve.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #13

Quote:

1. I need the money.
I am curious about your 1st comment....do you get paid for appearing for jury duty? I have served jury duty on 3 occasions in my lifetime and only received a minimal amount for mileage. It barely covered the price of fuel.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Administrator

The retired men on the jury when I served all had smaller pensions. Even though the jury duty pay was minimal, they loved it because it gave them some pocket money. They even went out for lunch every Friday, even though our lunch was catered at a local deli. That so little extra money could make such a difference made a big impact on me at the time.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #15

I think my own personal resentment toward jury duty stems from the futility of my time spent. I've been called for jury duty at least a half dozen times, and have even been seated on a jury once when I was very young, but I have yet to actually participate in a trial, much less decide the facts of a case. This last time I was actually held over for three days. (Generally, the process here in MA is that if you're not seated on a jury on the first day of jury duty, you're done - they call it "One Day/One Trial jury"). After sitting through a couple of rounds of jury selection, all that time, I was finally dismissed because I had donated money to a battered women's shelter.

It seems to me now, in retrospect (looking back at all the previous times I served) that there is a distinct lack of respect for the jurors' time. I believe the system would be enhanced by the lawyers doing the work of outlining the causes by which they would want jurors excluded, and handling that via some survey system, telephone interview perhaps with a clerk, with an option online tool for those so-inclined, verified by sworn statement before the start of the trial, but otherwise don't call someone in for jury duty if they're just going to be excluded because of their special knowledge, skills, talents, experience or charitable giving.

I know trial lawyers would hate the idea because they want to exploit their jury readers (or whatever they're called) to choose the jurors that would serve their client best, but it seems to me that that's just subjectively biasing the jury pool, instead of letting it be truly representative of those who are objectively unbiased.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
gone traveling

I was called several times during my working career and it seemed it was never a good time to go, so I always asked for a reschedule or got out of it somehow. Even when I would go, I spent most of the day just waiting around and was never selected. I was called again just a few months after I retired and I was happy to go and serve. I was selected for the jury panel that time and went through the entire trial process. (Interesting). Now that I have the time, I wouldn't mind serving a few times each year.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #17

I've served on both federal and county juries.

I've noticed that that jurors are treated better in county court where all the court officials (judge, sheriff, and district attorney) are elected by the jury pool.

On the other hand, all the court officials in federal court are lifetime appointees and tend to treat jurors like a necessary evil.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

1. I need the money.
Thank for you sincerity, but I was taken aback by 2). As a recent retiree I am trying to build a routine to keep occupied. Is there something that I do no know about? Does boredom creep in if we do not stay vigilant?

I have been called for jury duty many times and never even made it into 'the room' so its always been a complete waste of time. I did meet a trail lawyer once and asked him if I would be a good candidate. He told me that he would not pick me. I forgot the reasons, though I agree with him. He apologized later, for reasons that I still do not understand.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #19

Last time I was summoned, I was part of a jury pool for a minor civil case. The judge gave a brief description of the case and named the plaintiff, defendant, and their respective attorneys. He asked if any of the potential jurors knew any of the parties. I was the only person who stood up. When the judge called on me I said, "Your honor, I believe I went to junior high and high school with the attorney for the plaintiff." At which point, my former classmate said, "Your honor, I used to have more hair."
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #20

I served only once. Rather interesting trial of a juvenile being tried as an adult for a daytime golf course armed robbery. He had a story of trying to walk away from his two partners in crime at the last minute, but it was too late for that to make any difference.

But after several days the two sides rested, the jury was given instructions and told to retire to the deliberation room "except you, Mr. GalaxyBoy, you're the alternate juror!" So I got to go sit in a little room for two days with nothing but daytime TV to pass the time. What a disappointment.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote