Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've received jury notices by various methods. Once, a county sheriff came to the door and handed it to me directly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Al, I agree with getting it over with before it gets really inconvenient. I'd go as soon as ordered unless you'd already bought plane tickets (or unless the surf was really big).

Once you're there I'd take the law & order approach. Tell the inquisitors that you don't think a DA would waste your time with "reasonable doubt" and that you think anyone who shows up in front of a jury is probably guilty. Explain that you owned your own business, have your own home and a loving wife and a daughter, live a frugal green lifestyle, and take a very dim view of drugs, alcohol, & crime.

If that doesn't fly then tell them that you're ER'd, you love all the "CSI" shows, and you have nothing better to do all day than listen to the testimony and ask questions. Tell them you couldn't possibly make up your mind on an issue unless you'd thoroughly explored all aspects of it, with appropriate redirects and other questions. Tell them you're hoping to be elected jury foreman. If you're really lucky then someone will note of your name and make sure that you're dropped from the "random" selection.

Bite your tongue.
Another technique that would probably work is to tell them you're a former nuke engineer on a sub.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

If you do miss an announcement, 'they' will either not worry about it or will eventually send some lackey to find you. And cultivating an image of absentmindedness is highly desireable, in the circumstances.
Cultivate?

What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time. A friend says it's so they can get a good seat and don't have to stand in the back. Are they interviewed in the order they arrive?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Cultivate?

What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time. A friend says it's so they can get a good seat and don't have to stand in the back. Are they interviewed in the order they arrive?
The one time I got as far as jury selection, they 'randomized' the interviews, so we were not called in any pattern by age or name or arrival time.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time.
These would be the same people who stand up almost the instant an airliner has landed, and then wait 10 minutes for the door to open (followed by another twenty minutes in the terminal, waiting for their baggage to appear). Personally, I just stay seated and wait for the herd to depart.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
Another technique that would probably work is to tell them you're a former nuke engineer on a sub.
Lawyers seem to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having military veterans on juries.

Martha, other lawyers, any idea if that's really the case? Why?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #47

I figure jury duty is a good barometer of how much you like your job. If, like me, you were excited at the possibility of jury duty, then that's a good sign that you'll be happier FIREd.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am with Want2Retire, I'd really like to serve on a jury. I've only been called one time, and the case was plea bargined while they were interviewing us.

Don't they pay a mileage per diem for jury duty most places, along with a very nominal pay.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We get 17 cents per mile, and $15/day.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #50

I thought it would be interesting to be called for jury duty, when I was working. I am much too busy to be called for it now that I am retired. I have lived in 3 different states, always voted and have had a drivers license since age 16 and have never been called.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Lawyers seem to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having military veterans on juries.
Not true in my case. Now called 7 times and was picked as a juror 5 times.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #52

Quote:

Martha, other lawyers, any idea if that's really the case? Why?
There are any number of theories about what sort of person is likely to have what sort of prejudices. As with all generalizations and stereotypes, those theories are usually half-baked and subject to many exceptions.

Criminal defence counsel might think that ex-military jurors are more likely than not deferential to authority (= too inclined to believe in the judgment of the police). Similarly, plaintiff-side personal injury lawyers might think a veteran is naturally inclined to take the side of big corporations.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #53

Summoned twice -once in AZ and once in CA - in AZ, got chosen and then they put us in a room and told us the case had just been settled - we were free to go home. In CA, the pool was huge - why? A gang member had tried to kill and merely maimed someone - we were warned that if we were on the jury, that there had been talk of retribution - the gangmembers were standing out and about in the waiting area - I had to go on a business trip the next week and the judge asked if anyone couldn't be on a jury for 2-3 months - I raised my hand and was told to go. I don't know if I would have liked being on that particular jury. I had heard they had called close to 1K people to emapnel that jury -wow.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's amend the constitution and allow for professional jurors. Perhaps they could be spun randomly out of some computer data base. They should be paid enough to remain honest. It would probably give the US economy a boost in worker productivity.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Here ya go, Al, if you act fast you may get away with this before everyone tries it:
http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?...45410420080611

Quote:
SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian drugs trial lasting more than three months and costing taxpayers over A$1 million ($947,000) has been aborted after a number of jurors were found to have spent up to half the time playing Sudoku puzzles.

Sydney District Court Judge Peter Zahra cancelled the trial of two men on drugs conspiracy charges after the jury foreperson admitted that four to five jurors had been playing the addictive number sequence game, local media reported. The judge was alerted after some of the jurors were observed writing their notes vertically, rather than horizontally. The game involves completing a grid of numbers in the correct sequence.

One juror said the game helped them to pay more attention by keeping their mind busy.

"Some of the evidence is rather drawn out and I find it difficult to maintain my attention the whole time," the juror was quoted saying by the Australian Associated Press.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Not true in my case. Now called 7 times and was picked as a juror 5 times.

I also have 5 juries.... but I have more than a dozen calls for duty... I got on one jury my second time, but then went many years without getting picked... my last four times I was picked and served on the jury... three of them as foreman....
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #57

I got called a few weeks ago, but wasn't selected for the pool.

It turned out to be a rape trial, which doesn't happen much up here. And with the glacial pace of justice, the offense occurred in December 2005.

And as it turned out, the jury which was seated convicted the accused in a 4-day trial. But at the end of the trial, the foreman confessed to discussing the trial with others and the judge declared a mistrial. Thanks for wasting everyone's time and our county's tax dollars, fella.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #58

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian drugs trial lasting more than three months and costing taxpayers over A$1 million ($947,000) has been aborted after a number of jurors were found to have spent up to half the time playing Sudoku puzzles.

Sydney District Court Judge Peter Zahra cancelled the trial of two men on drugs conspiracy charges after the jury foreperson admitted that four to five jurors had been playing the addictive number sequence game, local media reported. The judge was alerted after some of the jurors were observed writing their notes vertically, rather than horizontally. The game involves completing a grid of numbers in the correct sequence.

One juror said the game helped them to pay more attention by keeping their mind busy.

"Some of the evidence is rather drawn out and I find it difficult to maintain my attention the whole time," the juror was quoted saying by the Australian Associated Press.

I am surprised the judge did not file charges of Contempt of Court against those particular jurors and also seek damages for cost incurred.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #59

I had a summons sent to my address about 8 years ago, but I have been in Asia for 9 years now. By dad wrote that I was out of the country on assignment for megacorp. They haven't sent one since.

When I FIRE, perhaps after a year or so, I will volunteer for jury duty, if I haven't received a summons by then. Why? Because I feel it is a duty to be shared by all of us, and I want to do my part.

T-Al, with 85,000 people in the county, that would mean around 50-55k adults. That means that if each one was called up once a year, there are about 230 people called up every day. Either there is a lot of crime in your small county, or there are a lot of felons who aren't allowed to serve...Maybe not the nicest neighborhood??

R
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
To avert the "Hey, do your civic duty" responses, I'll first mention that I've done jury duty a number of times. DW and I get called more than seems reasonable for a county with 85,00 residents. It's 35 miles to the court house, and trials are usually only held in the morning hours, so a week of jury duty means 6-7 hours on the road.

But the prospect of jury duty is doubly scary now, since, being retired, I'd have no excuse for getting out of a long trial.

So, I got my jury summons for June 18. I could either:

1. Just go and get it over with, or

2. Get an automatic 90-day deferral.

The advantage of option 2 is that I may have to serve only once every 1 year + 90 days rather than once every year.

The disadvantage of option 2 is that if the new date is inconvenient, I can't change it.

Advice??
DW just got a notice for July 30 - right in the middle of our planned (but not yet booked) 2 week Hawaii vacation.

She just called the clerk & explained the problem - no problem says the clerk & just bumped her off the list. But then again, we live in a small metro area & DW has a way with people that I don't. They'd have probably told me "not no, but .... no"