Just a thought

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Have you ever wondered if you'll end up as someone's PhD thesis?

Why?

I think that today I was a data point in somebody's psych paper. A bunch of ditzy girls were running up to people headed out from the grocery store, and asking them for hugs. I guess they could count me as one more in the "ignored and kept walking" column, since I was tired and they obviously weren't lacking in hugs.

Last edited:

You were probably thinking along the lines of that Nobel prize winning thesis ...
"The Optimal Lifeplan of Khan - Measured six different Ways"

You should worry more about being someone's [-]lab rat[/-] science experiment. Whether or not they publish isn't as important.

Well, I've been cited and acknowledged. But no one's ever actually studied me (thank heavens). Not that I know of, anyway.

Good gosh almighty no......:LOL:.......

...but then again....:blink:

Military veterans get that a lot.

One of the reasons I started writing "The Military Guide" was Russ Graves' PhD thesis on whether military officers were financially independent (and could stop working after retiring from the military) or had to find another job as soon as they retired from the military.

It was based on a survey. Some of the sketchier data indicated that the more senior military officers (hypothetically the ones who achieved FI more easily) were much less likely to retire for good but instead would keep working until they were no longer able. This was not surprising, given some of the senior officers I've seen, but it piqued my curiosity.

http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream/handle/1969.1/2581/etd-tamu-2005B-EPSY-Graves.pdf?sequence=1

Russ' last duty station was at Texas A&M, where he retired from the military to get his PhD and keep on teaching. To his credit, if I was living/teaching in College Station then I'd have no reason to stop working either. I haven't e-mailed him in a while but when the book is shipping to the exchanges then I'm going to mail him a copy.

Nope; insufficiently self-absorbed for that fantasy.

Ha

No, what do I need to do? :D

But if it's going to make a mess of my meal times, then forget it.

I'm hoping to be an example in the new DSM-5.

Military veterans get that a lot.

One of the reasons I started writing "The Military Guide" was Russ Graves' PhD thesis on whether military officers were financially independent (and could stop working after retiring from the military) or had to find another job as soon as they retired from the military.

It was based on a survey. Some of the sketchier data indicated that the more senior military officers (hypothetically the ones who achieved FI more easily) were much less likely to retire for good but instead would keep working until they were no longer able. This was not surprising, given some of the senior officers I've seen, but it piqued my curiosity.

http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream/handle/1969.1/2581/etd-tamu-2005B-EPSY-Graves.pdf?sequence=1

Russ' last duty station was at Texas A&M, where he retired from the military to get his PhD and keep on teaching. To his credit, if I was living/teaching in College Station then I'd have no reason to stop working either. I haven't e-mailed him in a while but when the book is shipping to the exchanges then I'm going to mail him a copy.

Nords..... don't listen to REWahoo.... College Station is a good place... and if I had a gig teaching at a college (heck, any college) I would not retire in a few years either....

Also, a lot of classes are going online... my wife is signed up for two and both are online classes... the profs are usually available on Skype at regular times... one was 'teaching' while he was traveling in Europe... nice...

As for the OP question.... nope...

Yep, you'd need something to do to keep the symptoms of chronic depression at bay. Me, I'd strongly consider moving out of state... :)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: As a 3-degree Aggie, I have occasionally thought briefly of moving back there

and then thought, "Nah...." :2funny:

When I was in the first grade I was the subject of a college students term paper. She took me around to a few places (museum, art gallery, airport) and observed me. My mom gave me the copy of the paper later. I was certainly an obnoxious, egotistical kid.

Being that I'm unique, I doubt very much my experience over time would be considered of any value to the general population, nor would reuire a paper to describe :whistle: ...

No way. I'm neither exceptional nor screwed up enough to be fodder.

Yep, you'd need something to do to keep the symptoms of chronic depression at bay. Me, I'd strongly consider moving out of state... :)
Well, if you're gonna live in Texas then you might as well go for all the misery you can grab...

I have been the subject of someone's thesis. Waaay back in the early 60s when I was in kindergarten, a group of psychology students from the local university came to our school to test out IQ and knowledge tests on my class (n=26). They then did more indepth research on the outliers with high IQs (me, 126 IIRC). Specifically, they administered a looooong survey instrument involving both intelligence and knowledge questions. They returned a month later for an unannounced retest. I think their hypothesis was that students with high IQs would research the answers they didn't know. And I had. Specifically, one of the questions I got wrong the first time was "what is ambergris?". FWIW, it's a digestive secretion of the sperm whale. Too bad I never got to read the thesis.

smiley.jpg

Wow, this was when you were in kindergarten. I did not go to kindergarten and even if I had, I would not have known how to research something or even been able to remember what I wanted to research!! You are way too smart for me

No one would want to use me for their paper. I am an average plain jane.

Last edited:

No. Do I want to be? No.

What if they are going to "study" me like the space aliens studying their abductees, by probing and poking?

Back
Top Bottom