Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don’t you think it’s weird that this has never happened before Kim Jong Un started making threats?
I’m much more inclined to believe that the threats make the operators nervous and more likely to make mistakes. It may have been a drill that went wrong in that the final action to broadcast the message and cause panic should not have happened.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Com networks being overloaded is not good but also not surprising. Cell, wired telephone, internet - were they all equally as jammed?
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like a good time to look for retirement house in Hawaii.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Com networks being overloaded is not good but also not surprising. Cell, wired telephone, internet - were they all equally as jammed?
It would be neat if they weren't! I remember after 9/11 trying to get in touch with Frank, who was just outside NYC in CT. Cell phone communiciations were terrible, probably due to the huge number of calls, but e-mails went through. Same here after Katrina - - cell phones and landlines were disrupted off and on, but e-mail was better.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’m much more inclined to believe that the threats make the operators nervous and more likely to make mistakes. It may have been a drill that went wrong in that the final action to broadcast the message and cause panic should not have happened.
US didn't launch a counter attack immediately. That was a relief.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
In 4th grade my teacher at a Catholic Parochial school, during the Cuban Missile Crisis advised us that if we saw a flash in the sky, we should crawl under our desks. We all know that nothing will protect you in a nuclear blast like a 4th grade desk.
I remember those days! However, since we lived in California the teachers told us that it was a earthquake drill. I was too young to know about the Missile Crisis and just accepted that crawling under a desk would save me during a massive earthquake.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
US didn't launch a counter attack immediately. That was a relief.
If you believe the article above and statement from the Governor there was never any incoming missile(s) detected, just an operator who erroneously pressed the “broadcast emergency” button during a shift change.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It would be neat if they weren't! I remember after 9/11 trying to get in touch with Frank, who was just outside NYC in CT. Cell phone communiciations were terrible, probably due to the huge number of calls, but e-mails went through. Same here after Katrina - - cell phones and landlines were disrupted off and on, but e-mail was better.
In the old days, the land-line system was designed to support something like 10% of the total number of possible connections. It was never expected to work properly during any kind of emergency or panic. I suspect cell service is even more limiting.

Asynchronous comms like text and e-mail have a much better chance of getting through. They consume a lot less bandwidth and can wait for a lull moment.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #29

It took me 10 minutes of searching to finally find out that the name of the Homer Simpson protege who pushed the button 'was not released'. I found that info on Wikipedia, to their credit. I don't think anyone at the press conference ever asked for the name of the button-pusher. I don't want the poor guy to have his life ruined, but I'm just amazed that no one even asked the question. They did ask what would happen to him, and the answer was that he would be retrained (but not fired, apparently). I guess everyone is just too kind and considerate? Was there a skit on SNL about him last night? I don't think he should be outed, necessarily, but I'm amazed that there seems to be no interest on the internet, in his identity.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I heard about this and saw the news reports with people running.

I think I'll go to the bar order up some drinks and sip them on the veranda and wait for the flash in the sky.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
It took me 10 minutes of searching to finally find out that the name of the Homer Simpson protege who pushed the button 'was not released'. I found that info on Wikipedia, to their credit. I don't think anyone at the press conference ever asked for the name of the button-pusher. I don't want the poor guy to have his life ruined, but I'm just amazed that no one even asked the question. They did ask what would happen to him, and the answer was that he would be retrained (but not fired, apparently). I guess everyone is just too kind and considerate? Was there a skit on SNL about him last night? I don't think he should be outed, necessarily, but I'm amazed that there seems to be no interest on the internet, in his identity.
Go over to Reddit. There's a lot of traffic on this. One was an invite to do an AMA(ask me anything), I don't think he's talking.

Hopefully anyone who sheltered heard it was false. In a couple of years some old codger is likely to come out of hiding.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Go over to Reddit. There's a lot of traffic on this. One was an invite to do an AMA(ask me anything), I don't think he's talking.

Thanks! I found it on Reddit. Google search results had no Reddit hits, for some reason.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Thanks! I found it on Reddit. Google search results had no Reddit hits, for some reason.
I don't think Reddit shows up often. If I understand correctly it's because Reddit is an aggregator of other people's content..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #34

I had some bad days at work, but never as bad as the guy who pushed the button. He or she may be a new member of our internet community. All kidding aside, I feel for whoever did this.
Thank goodness he/she didn't have access to that other button.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #35

Hawaii seems to have a bad luck history when it comes to warnings. When they actually needed a warning on Dec 7th 1941, the radar operators were told don’t worry about it. Now, they get warned when they really did have nothing to worry about.

Paradise don’t come free I suppose. Volcanoes and other scares from time to time.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW and I are heading to the Big Island in 17 days. We are going to spend the month of February there. I was in Kauai for a short week 30+ years ago, and DW has never been to any of the Hawaiian Islands before. Her daughter is jealous that we are going, and was the one to tell us about the alarm. She suggested we cancel our trip. I hope she was joking.
I hope you will share with the FIRE community on a thread, how your time on Hawaii went, what you learned, etc etc.
One of our earliest visits to the Island (back when we were tourists, not yet residents) was right after the resolution of the DC10 accident in Chicago. Sure enough, the equipment we flew was one of the first flights of the DC10 following the extensive investigation and equipment examination. DW was ready to cancel the trip instead of getting on the DC10. I told her it was the most inspected, safest aircraft in the sky at that point. She finally agreed and we flew without incident.

Regarding the threat from NK, I suppose an attack is always a possibility, but it's my personal opinion that while Kim might be crazy, he isn't stupid. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Koolau, I do have a serious question for you. Just wondering, how does one tell the difference between an incoming nuclear missile alarm (which I would ignore) and a tsunami alarm (which I would not ignore)?
The actual warning was specific in its verbiage, so there's that. Had I chosen to ignore the warning note, I must say that the tone on the cell phone was one that I had never heard before and I have heard at least 3 tsunami warnings. I would have to say that the cell phone tone was actually a bit frightening, though I don't know how to describe it.

Again, the biggest clue that the warning was an error was that nothing else backed it up (No tsunami/air raid sirens - and we have almost 400 on the island from what I understand; Radio traffic was "normal;" police were not cruising neighborhoods alerting folks to take cover, etc).

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Gosh! Pearl Harbor syndrome rises in Hawaii.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I saw no panic where I was hanging out. It happened to be in a church building. Someone prayed out loud and then most of the folks tried to reach loved ones on their cell phones. This reminded me of the early '70s placard (available in most novelty stores):

IN THE EVENT OF NUCLEAR ATTACK, ALL LAWS AGAINST PRAYING IN THIS GOVERNMENT BUILDING WILL BE INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED. YMMV

Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don’t you think it’s weird that this has never happened before Kim Jong Un started making threats?
Not really considering that the system was only reactivated 12/1/17. They didn't even make it two months before messing up
Oma_here is offline   Reply With Quote