Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Just checking something out...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I was curious how it all looked to the board s/w and how much info dorys scripts gather about the client and if he could differentiate me coming at the board using different anonymity tools. I'm surprised the mods dont have access to look at the IP addresses of posts, I thought that was the default setting.
I don't think we're that paranoid. The board logging isn't all that sophisticated, but it has some nifty IP tracking links. We have access to the web server logs if the need arises. I think dory36 even has some other tricks at his disposal...whatever they were banned a couple of IP addresses here and there including one of mine. D'oh!

The mods could be given IP-tracking ability, but I'm not sure what that would improve. I read and post with a non-admin account because I don't need to see the extra info daily and would prefer to be dissociated from any perception of responsibility so I can post as goofily as always.

I think we have enough skeptics and spam-sniffers around that we can put 2 + 2 together pretty quickly and verify by comparing IPs and such later. Persistent spammers can be discouraged by mangling their URLs with the profanity filter <snicker>.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Does anybody ever really bother with proxy servers? And, if so, why?
I have an ssh connection to a proxy server outside my work place.
Do you really like the idea of Big Brother watching you?
Some posts on this board are fairly non PC (and have right keywords for the content scanners), I would have been flagged many times by the stupid Cisco software and IT would send "the evidence" to my manager and blah blah blah.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #23

Can anyone comment on Proxy Way? I worked with a guy who surfed the internet from work using proxy software.

http://www.stayinvisible.com/download_proxyway.html
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Do you really like the idea of Big Brother watching you?
Yes, I do. I can keep Him entertained so he doesn't have time to invade sovereign nations.

Seriously, Big Brother is so inept that he can't catch real crooks. Why would he want to watch me? (Which, BTW, would involve a supoena to request records for web logs as well as a supoena to my ISP, only to find that my IP address is dynamic, and that my ISP only holds records for a short period, and that there's no practical way to trace most people on the net).
Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wab - I think they're talking about people at work, not retired slobs like us.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Can anyone comment on Proxy Way? I worked with a guy who surfed the internet from work using proxy software.
I'm not familiar with it, but after a quick read it sounds like your guy at work may misunderstand what it does (I'm presuming he's wanting to hide his surfing from work). It looks like it will hide your source from the website you visit, but it's difficult--perhaps impossible--to hide your browsing at the source. The SSH tunnels mentioned encrypt the traffic, but work can still tell I'm making a connection and how much traffic goes through. Unless he's encrypting traffic from his PC to the next proxy server work should be able to see where he's surfing if they want to; but depending on how the unencrypted data is sent they may or may not be looking at it.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #27

People surf the net from work? * D'oh! *That's like being paid to be in retirement... *
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, it was good while it lasted...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote