Just checking something out...

You trying to pump up your post count with JG is out for a while? :D

Nope, i'm waiting for a bored moderator to look at the logged IP addresses and the user info...

Why, am I getting close to JG's post count? I havent looked. I hope not. He gets nutty when that happens and starts answering himself 5-6 times in a row to try to "stay ahead". What he's 'staying ahead' of is a mystery to me.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Nope, i'm waiting for a bored moderator to look at the logged IP addresses and the user info...

Maybe if your posts were more interesting they wouldn't be bored. ;)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I dont have to be interesting. I have huge boobs.

Yep, you could server dinner on those puppies ;)

Nope, sorry. Moderators can't see the IPs. Only admins, which means dory36 and...um...a super secret and cleverly discreetly named account left in the userbase when I migrated the board to this software. But I only use it when I need to, and I'm not that bored. dory36 is your last chance for today.

Would that be that "eeyor" account with massive time on line and no posts?

Dang it Cube_rat! Your avatar is killing me! Paired with CFB's avatar, it reminds me of that Coors Light commercial...sing along now:

"This chick's rockin' your bro on the dance floor.
But she's towing an anchor.
A junior investment banker.
Who's talkin' about herself and not
much more.
Oh
So buy her a beer,
its the reason you're here:
Mighty Wingman
You're taking one for the team,
so your buddy can live the dream:
Wingmaaaaaaaaaaaan"

....but desperate, wing man, whatever, I would never jump on that grenade... :p

Laurence said:

Dang it Cube_rat! Your avatar is killing me!

I'm tempted to replace the God Warrior avatar with Kathy Bates naked rear end.

Laurence said:

Nope. I hadn't noticed that. Guess he's quite the lurker. Makes sense to get an account because then you get the "new" post tracking you don't get when a guest.

Besides, I said I only log in to the hard-to-guess named account when I need to, which is not very often. The total online time is 6.5 hours which is actually higher than I thought. It has credit for two posts but only has one surviving post...in the moderator area.

Well, I may use that account tonight after all...got something I gotta look at. (The admin login removes clothes from the avatars.)

Laurence said:
Why would you want to see the God warrior naked? :eek:

Is there a name for what's wrong with you? :LOL:

-----

Okay, () aka CFB aka some other aliases is posting from: Chicago, Houston, Sacramento, Connecticut, and Koeln (Germany).

I was surfing job sites from work today through an SSH tunnel back to a proxy server at home. Tee hee, no logged web trail for me, at least during those moments. (And no, my proxy server doesn't have a port open to the public, so CFB won't be posting from Plainfield, IN tonight. At least not from this apartment.)

Does anybody ever really bother with proxy servers?   And, if so, why?

Edit: current online status shows:

54 Guests, 36 Users (1 Hidden)

Who's hidden? And how do I become invisibile? That's always been a fantasy of mine....

Actually they werent all simple proxies; a pair were, one was my own, and a couple of others were with a multilayered relayed proxy system coupled with the firefox plugin to control it and turn it on and off.

I was curious how it all looked to the board s/w and how much info dorys scripts gather about the client and if he could differentiate me coming at the board using different anonymity tools. I'm surprised the mods dont have access to look at the IP addresses of posts, I thought that was the default setting.

By the way, first post from the new laptop. I like it so far. Keyboard of course is different from the stinkpad, which for some reason IBM laid out differently from most but then I remember their desktop keyboards were a little oddball too.

More on the new laptop when I spend more time with it; time to make dinner, wash a baby, put him down and then try to catch up on six hours of '24' with the Mrs...

As to why, well, believe it or not, some people have less of a life than I do ;)

But at least I know how to become invisible. It wouldnt be good to tell you, you'd end up on main street in front of a bunch of little kids with no pants on, traumatizing them for life.

wab said:
Does anybody ever really bother with proxy servers? And, if so, why?

At the time I had it set up, I was using multiple browsers on multiple machines for some reason, and I got tired of waiting for the same graphics to load on each browser so I set up Squid. I don't use the proxy server at home anymore, but it's come in handy a few times to surf on the sly from elsewhere. The port is double-firewalled (local and bridging firewall) and Squid isn't even listening on the NIC, so I don't worry about others using it.

Edit: current online status shows:

54 Guests, 36 Users (1 Hidden)

Who's hidden? And how do I become invisibile? That's always been a fantasy of mine....

Okay, okay, I'm unhiding my secret, carefully-named-to-be-discreet backdoor admin user account. Just don't send it PMs because they don't get checked. The option for users to hide themselves is disabled. I hid the admin account to be discreet, but since it's the only hidden account people always notice and wonder what's up. Errrrrr, I mean, that's the NSA peeking in on things. Yeah, that's it.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I was curious how it all looked to the board s/w and how much info dorys scripts gather about the client and if he could differentiate me coming at the board using different anonymity tools. I'm surprised the mods dont have access to look at the IP addresses of posts, I thought that was the default setting.

I don't think we're that paranoid. The board logging isn't all that sophisticated, but it has some nifty IP tracking links. We have access to the web server logs if the need arises. I think dory36 even has some other tricks at his disposal...whatever they were banned a couple of IP addresses here and there including one of mine. D'oh!

The mods could be given IP-tracking ability, but I'm not sure what that would improve. I read and post with a non-admin account because I don't need to see the extra info daily and would prefer to be dissociated from any perception of responsibility so I can post as goofily as always.

I think we have enough skeptics and spam-sniffers around that we can put 2 + 2 together pretty quickly and verify by comparing IPs and such later. Persistent spammers can be discouraged by mangling their URLs with the profanity filter <snicker>.

wab said:
Does anybody ever really bother with proxy servers? And, if so, why?
I have an ssh connection to a proxy server outside my work place.
Do you really like the idea of Big Brother watching you?
Some posts on this board are fairly non PC (and have right keywords for the content scanners), I would have been flagged many times by the stupid Cisco software and IT would send "the evidence" to my manager and blah blah blah.

sailor said:
Do you really like the idea of Big Brother watching you?

Yes, I do. I can keep Him entertained so he doesn't have time to invade sovereign nations. :)

Seriously, Big Brother is so inept that he can't catch real crooks. Why would he want to watch me? (Which, BTW, would involve a supoena to request records for web logs as well as a supoena to my ISP, only to find that my IP address is dynamic, and that my ISP only holds records for a short period, and that there's no practical way to trace most people on the net).

Back
Top Bottom