Just discovered the "Thanks" feature under User CP

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DUH! :duh: if i didn't respond, sorry about that. i was in my paper bag. translated...just put me in a paper bag on a sunny day and see if i can figure my way out. :D

i had 14 "thanks" but could only read the 4 latest. i could not figure out how to display the rest. can anyone help?

The philosophy behind the Thanks feature is to allow a way to express a quick few-words expression of gratitude for a prior post. Without such a feature, you can see how threads get flooded with lots of replies limited to "Thanks" or "Thanks a lot" or "Good post" etc. These can clutter the thread.

In keeping with the spirit of the feature, I tend not to reply to Thanks messages (unless they open a different dialog than just Thanks). Hope everyone assumes that "You're welcome" is understood.

Thanks Wahoo and Calmloki. I guess scrolling down was too complex for me without instructions.

Ha

I'm sorry for not responding to anyone's thanks - I didn't know it was there also.

I never respond to my thanks, either. I love getting them.

My thinking is that the thankers probably don't expect a response, or they would have sent a PM instead. ;)

Agree - posting "you're welcome" messages would defeat the purpose of the Thanks feature, which is to unclutter threads.

We can all assume there is an implied "You're Welcome" for every thanks message. No formal reply expected.

I never respond to my thanks, either. I love getting them.

My thinking is that the thankers probably don't expect a response, or they would have sent a PM instead. ;)

It never occurred to me to respond; as was mentioned, if I did want to respond, I would use PM.

I use the thanks feature all the time, never expect a "you are welcome".
Please feel free to send me any jokes that are too dirty for public viewing.
Okay, that may have been rash.

Here's a clean one that my 80 year old H.S. football coach told at our reunion dinner.

What's the difference between a single woman and a married woman?

The single woman comes home in the evening, looks in the refrigerator, and goes to bed.

The married woman comes home, looks in the bed, and goes to the refrigerator.

This got a lot of laughs from the mostly married women in the group.:)

Ha

these are regional, but please substitute
"your state" for "upstate NY"
and change
"cold" to "warm, hot" and "water, rain" for "ice, snow" as needed...

if you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in upstate New York.

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights a year because Saranac Lake is the coldest spot in the nation, and Syracuse gets more snow than any other major city in the US, you might live in Upstate, NY.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through May, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you get 131 inches of snow in a week and you comment that 'winter's finally here', you might live near Oswego in Upstate New York .

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for six months out of the year, you might live, bundled up, in Upstate New York .

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Upstate NY.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you have worn shorts and a parka on the same day, you might live in Upstate New York .

If you have had a lengthy phone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Upstate New York .

The philosophy behind the Thanks feature is to allow a way to express a quick few-words expression of gratitude for a prior post. Without such a feature, you can see how threads get flooded with lots of replies limited to "Thanks" or "Thanks a lot" or "Good post" etc. These can clutter the thread.

In keeping with the spirit of the feature, I tend not to reply to Thanks messages (unless they open a different dialog than just Thanks). Hope everyone assumes that "You're welcome" is understood.

I'll plead ignorance for the message I've ignored in the past. The thanks features what's that :duh:. What Rich said in the future.

A young bridal couple went to a local hotel on their wedding night; the next morning the bride's closest girl friend telephoned her, to ask how married life agreed with her. "Oh, Marge," she replied, "I'm just awfully tired, dead tired. All night long it was up and down; in and out; up and down, in and out! Don't ever get a room next to an elevator!"

Now I'm really confused. I looked where suggested by freebird and calmloki, and saw nothing. I searched for "Thanks" in the FAQ, and found:

In your User CP, there is a section under Settings & Options named 'Edit Options'.
  • Login & Privacy: set your
    • 'Invisible Mode' - sets whether or not other members can see if you are online and what page you are viewing
    • 'Show Thanks Level' - shows your reputation level on posts if this option is enabled by the administrator
    • 'Allow vCard Download' - sets whether or not to allow other members to download a vCard containing your email address and username.
but when I look in Edit Options/Login & Privacy I see "Invisible mode" and "vCard", but no "Thanks level" option. Am I disabled by the administrator?

So there is a problem with my request for dirty jokes--it seems that the thanks feature has a limited number of letters that can be used, darn it.

Khan, I need the punch line? Everything after um, kitties, yeah, kitties...is what I missed. >:D

But I'm glad for the ones on the thread as well...keep em coming! :D

i don't see a Thanks Level in Login & Privacy, but i do get thanks messages. i do see the vCard and Invisible Mode choices.

doo doo do do doo doo doo do

Boy, I'm dumb. I saw the thanks reply but never researched what it's all about. Thanks for all the messages as well. I'll use the feature in the future.

Back
Top Bottom