Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This thread is useless without pictures...

No pun intended?
yes, yes words chosen carefully!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sounds like a typical Saturday night at our house ...
Can I come over?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #63

We were sitting having lunch at an outdoor restaurant beside the city dock in Annapolis, Maryland. The dock was bouncing and swaying. My companions said a boat must have hit the dock. I said "no, look across at the dock on the opposite side, the pylons there are swaying too - its an earthquake." I was in a 6.4 quake in Mexico City in 1964 so I knew right away what it was. We stayed where we were and finished our lunches.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #64

This made me laugh...we were standing around after it was over, wondering if we should leave the building (our alarms didn't go off), and a co-worker said, "well, I know my martini will be ready for me when I get home..."
Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
...and a co-worker said, "well, I know my martini will be ready for me when I get home..."
Shaken, not stirred...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Shaken, not stirred...
That reminds me of the best tweet I heard from us bemused Left Coast folks.

"5.9 that's what we use in California to stir our coffee."
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Devastating Earthquake in Virginia!

From my brother in law in Roanoke, VA. Yeah, I know there was some real damage from this thing, but for most of us, it was more like this:

As we see more of the pictures, we begin to understand the extent of the devastation...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg va.jpg (42.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #68

We live about 35 miles from the earthquake's epicenter. Although we had no damage, it scared me enough to call my insurance agent today and add an earthquake endorsement to my homeowner's policy. It's quite expensive (adds about 40% to my current premium) with a 10% (of replacement value) deductible, so it's truly catastrophic coverage; but I'll sleep better knowing I'm not self-insuring the entire house should a Black Swan event occur.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

California

We're in Southern California. This is amusing to us thinking of all those people who moved east due to fear of earthquakes.

Our son is in school in North Carolina. He felt the earthquake yesterday, and they are now preparing for a hurricane.

So glad we don't get hurricanes out here.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
We live about 35 miles from the earthquake's epicenter. Although we had no damage, it scared me enough to call my insurance agent today and add an earthquake endorsement to my homeowner's policy. It's quite expensive (adds about 40% to my current premium) with a 10% (of replacement value) deductible, so it's truly catastrophic coverage; but I'll sleep better knowing I'm not self-insuring the entire house should a Black Swan event occur.

I figure that is what FEMA is for. I dropped hurricane insurance on my house because I figured if Honolulu gets hit by hurricane that is so bad that it causes more than the $10K(the deductible) Uncle Sam will provide us disaster relief.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I know you feel better Fire'd@51...and if that Black Swan event happens it will be well worth the coverage. My twin sister and her husband live in Goochland...so ...probably not far from you.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I figure that is what FEMA is for. I dropped hurricane insurance on my house because I figured if Honolulu gets hit by hurricane that is so bad that it causes more than the $10K(the deductible) Uncle Sam will provide us disaster relief.
Well, perhaps I'm naive, but I have more confidence in my insurance company (USAA) making me whole (in a timely fashion) than FEMA. Plus, I also have the full homeowner's insurance coverage of my personal belongings as well as loss of use. Maybe FEMA will help me out with the deductible.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
FEMA just provides low cost disaster loans, doesn't it? Far different than insurance.
I'm not bothering with earthquake insurance but it would be nice to be able to get insurance to cover loss of domicile due to a dirty bomb or nuke.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
FEMA just provides low cost disaster loans, doesn't it? Far different than insurance.
I'm not bothering with earthquake insurance but it would be nice to be able to get insurance to cover loss of domicile due to a dirty bomb or nuke.
Looking at FEMA's website they do provide assistance in the form of grants if your damages exceed your coverage, or the insurance company doesn't cover your damage.I am sure you'll still end up taking a financial hit.
However, I figure between FEMA grants and loans it probably won't be that much more than high deductible on hurricane or earthquake insurance.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #75

I agree with Fired@51 on this one. FEMA actually initially denied help to all the tornado victims in North Carolina last year. I'd have to check to see if they reversed their stance. Having said that, I think the only thing my policy covers is damage from "wind driven" rain. Made a claim after Hurricane Floyd using that clause...as the wind drove the rain under the seal plate of my front door, forcing water in and resulted in buckled hard wood floors. ummm...might have to take a look at my coverage as weather events in this area seem to be on the rise.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #76

Quote:
Shaken, not stirred...
Exactly!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
We're in Southern California. This is amusing to us thinking of all those people who moved east due to fear of earthquakes.
I concur. here in SoCal in mere 5.8 will make the local news, but would never be the topic of discussion for days on end. And it would never make the national news. We have been through so much more.

This reminds me of when I lived in Houston. We received around a quarter inch of snow one night and it was the biggest deal. The news talked about it for a week. My co-worker called in to ask if it was safe to drive in to work. Had we lived in Detroit or Buffalo we would have thought that was a "light" day and gone about our business. people from Buffalo would have laughed hard about all the commotion.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I concur. here in SoCal in mere 5.8 will make the local news, but would never be the topic of discussion for days on end. And it would never make the national news. We have been through so much more.

This reminds me of when I lived in Houston. We received around a quarter inch of snow one night and it was the biggest deal. The news talked about it for a week. My co-worker called in to ask if it was safe to drive in to work. Had we lived in Detroit or Buffalo we would have thought that was a "light" day and gone about our business. people from Buffalo would have laughed hard about all the commotion.
What do you call a quarter inch snowfall in Buffalo?

The Dog Days of summer.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
A few years back, when I was visiting friends who'd relocated from Southern California to Idaho, there was a very light, late snowfall.

My friend and I took a drive into the hills in my then vehicle, ( a manual transmission, HD, 4x4, diesel F250); we came to a loop road that had not yet been graded, although someone had previously driven through and the road surface was visible.

My concerned friend asked if I was going to put the truck in four wheel drive......I said "Why? The road's clear".....to which he responded "You call THIS CLEAR?"

"Ah", I said, "I just remembered that you're from L.A.".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote