Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

well, after bleeding all weekend, i called to see if it was normal. the nurse said to come by and theyd check it out

to my dismay, the doc was a total douchebag... the nurse looked and said 'ohh...that doesnt look right' but when he came in he said 'ahhh...ur fine....ur alive arent you' dont come in here whining until your bleeding real good'

i about lost it! i told him that THEY asked me to come in after i phoned in with questions. he said 'have you been rinsing with salt water? ' i said 'yes, like you told me' him 'well, that's why youre bleeding. knock it off!' me' i thought it was to prevent infection' him 'well, pick one...get infected or bleed'

at this point, i was actually ready to slap this old man upside his head. i told them about the pain...and he said '' aaahh, i knew it was coming. im giving you one more script and beyond that you can tough it out. dont think youre coming back here for more vicodin'

i was soooo pissed i didnt know what to do. i DO know im not getting the other 2 out there. the guy is downright rude and treated me like im some druggie trying to get a fix. the vicodin doesnt even work! he can see im still bleeding and swolen, but I'M in the wrong? come on...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #22

I fail to see the funny side of this thread...

Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I fail to see the funny side of this thread...
Like when DW was very pregnant and we were out shopping. Every lady in the store had to (eventually) launch into a story about her awful labor experience--the pain, the duration, the blood.
I don't know what these people were thinking. I would have assumed that DW's appearance would make it very clear that she was "committed" to this course of action. None of these horror stories were going to make things easier for her. Every human on the planet is evidence that the whole "being born" thing works, after all.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, that is quite a dentist you've got there.

I had my 2 upper wisdom teeth removed a couple of months back. Lower ones never came in, guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I got there, filled out forms, they took a 360 panorama X-Ray, got me in the chair, pre-numbed and then novocained, and then got to work. The first side was painless, just a pulling type of sensation. The other side they had to numb it again since I had some sensation there. Once that took effect, it was another painless extraction.

They gave me some Percocet (or was it Vicodin?) and sent me on my way with gauze in my mouth. Elapsed time from when I walked in: less than one hour.

Bleeding stopped a couple of hours later. I had a meal replacement shake for dinner and some pudding. Took the next day off work, then I was back to work the following day. My experience was just fine.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Wow, that is quite a dentist you've got there.

I had my 2 upper wisdom teeth removed a couple of months back. Lower ones never came in, guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I got there, filled out forms, they took a 360 panorama X-Ray, got me in the chair, pre-numbed and then novocained, and then got to work. The first side was painless, just a pulling type of sensation. The other side they had to numb it again since I had some sensation there. Once that took effect, it was another painless extraction.

They gave me some Percocet (or was it Vicodin?) and sent me on my way with gauze in my mouth. Elapsed time from when I walked in: less than one hour.

Bleeding stopped a couple of hours later. I had a meal replacement shake for dinner and some pudding. Took the next day off work, then I was back to work the following day. My experience was just fine.
yeah this is the type of story i was hoping for. no luck.

i think ive been talking too much which irritates that side of my mouth, so i popped a few pills and went to sleep from 5pm til now...3am...unfirtunately i cant get back to sleep. to my dismay, im still bleeding.

i dont know what to do now...when should i call my a$$hole dentist back if the bleeding persists? surely it shouldnt last more than a few days....im nearing 96 hours....
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
yeah this is the type of story i was hoping for. no luck.

i think ive been talking too much which irritates that side of my mouth, so i popped a few pills and went to sleep from 5pm til now...3am...unfirtunately i cant get back to sleep. to my dismay, im still bleeding.

i dont know what to do now...when should i call my a$$hole dentist back if the bleeding persists? surely it shouldnt last more than a few days....im nearing 96 hours....
Wow, thefed, your dentist is sure a rude one! I don't know if you have access to a consulting nurse service. If so, they are just the people to answer questions such as "shouldn't the bleeding have stopped by now?" If you don't, perhaps a call to your regular doctor would be in order. Bleeding is bleeding after all. Are you on any kind of medication that would promote bleeding/delay clotting?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Wow, thefed, your dentist is sure a rude one! I don't know if you have access to a consulting nurse service. If so, they are just the people to answer questions such as "shouldn't the bleeding have stopped by now?" If you don't, perhaps a call to your regular doctor would be in order. Bleeding is bleeding after all. Are you on any kind of medication that would promote bleeding/delay clotting?
I am going to call my referring dentist today...it's slowed a bit, but still is bleeding.

i have set up an appointment with another oral surgeon for the other 2 wisdom teeth....there's no way this guy is getting any more of my money. ive never been treated like that before! (except when i may have deserved it....but never by a doctor!!)
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Like when DW was very pregnant and we were out shopping. Every lady in the store had to (eventually) launch into a story about her awful labor experience--the pain, the duration, the blood.

this reminds me! as i walked to the recovery room, still woozy from the demoral and valium, i looked at my hands to find TONS of blood spatter dried on the tops! I showed them to the nurse and she calmly said "oh honey, it's normal....let me get you a wipe"

that really freaked me out. somehow they kept it off my clothes though....
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry to hear about your issues. That dentist sounds like a real piece of work.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I wasn't born with any wisdom teeth.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post

I don't have any either...for some reason or other, that makes me feel kind of strange...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 months ago. Totally painless extraction, but like thefed, I had lots of bleeding (though not so much that I had to go in before my 1 week consultation). When I told the surgeon about it, he said that bleeding is common in fair-haired, fair-skinned folks, and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me). I hadn't tried that, because it sounded kooky, but further research shows that it apparently does work. Probably worth a try.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 months ago. Totally painless extraction, but like thefed, I had lots of bleeding (though not so much that I had to go in before my 1 week consultation). When I told the surgeon about it, he said that bleeding is common in fair-haired, fair-skinned folks, and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me). I hadn't tried that, because it sounded kooky, but further research shows that it apparently does work. Probably worth a try.

ooohhh....ive been chomping on the lipton....a lot grosser tasting than one would imagine....it stops/slows it for a bit, but i start right up after a whiel

funnny you mention a 1 week consult....my guy never mentioned anything....just sent me home with a post op fact sheet. everyone i talk to says they had a post op consult....except me!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
..........and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me).
Ditto for cayenne pepper. Added benefit, the burning sensation will surely take your mind off of whatever ails you. Although if you are not into hot and spicy, prolly want to pass on this.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #34

Fed --
Sorry to hear of your experience. IMHO, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and consideration...and everyone is different in terms of how they react to pain, after effects, etc.

I'm glad to see that you are going elsewhere for the remaining procedure. The first dentist sounds like a real jerk!

Good luck to you!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #35

after digging around in my mouth with a flashlight, i found the main source of pain. it seems my cheek is stitched to my lower gum...he kinda folded it over the hole to protect it i suspect...so every time i talk, im pulling that stich...and that stitch is where the bleeding comes from.... the nurse was going to cut that stitch but decided not to because i was still bleeding...a catch 22....

i'm gonna give it a few more days and either insist they cut this thing or i'm breakin out the exacto knife lol
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #36

Quote:
after digging around in my mouth with a flashlight, i found the main source of pain. it seems my cheek is stitched to my lower gum...he kinda folded it over the hole to protect it i suspect...so every time i talk, im pulling that stich...and that stitch is where the bleeding comes from.... the nurse was going to cut that stitch but decided not to because i was still bleeding...a catch 22....

i'm gonna give it a few more days and either insist they cut this thing or i'm breakin out the exacto knife lol
Incroyable!

I didn't get sewn together like that, in fact I'm not at all sure I had any stitches at all. (IIRC that was to reduce the danger of infection--I seem to recall being told it was better for healing to occur from the bottom up, not on the surface first.)

I think if I were in your shoes I would be on the phone to the new surgeon asking if sewing the inside of the cheek to the gums is accepted practice in oral surgery, or if your original dentist has gone completely off the rails. His behavior and his procedure both sound so unusual to me I'm really starting to wonder if he should still be practicing.

P.S. if it is any comfort, I don't think I had a followup appointment a week after the extractions. It wasn't much more than a week later that I went off to college to start my freshman year.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post

You are lucky. I had to have all 4 removed-twice! Thats right. They grew back.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
at this point, i was actually ready to slap this old man upside his head. i told them about the pain...and he said '' aaahh, i knew it was coming. im giving you one more script and beyond that you can tough it out. dont think youre coming back here for more vicodin'
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was in intese pain after oral surgery a few years back. They gave me a few percs, but when I went back for more they told me they couldn't give them to me because I might get addicted! I told them I had been doing drugs for over 30 years and never got addicted, so not to worry about it. Didn't work.