Join Early Retirement Today

Just had my wisdom teeth out....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just had my wisdom teeth out....

And I'm still buzzing from the Versed! Everyone is treating me like I'm out of my mind, but they forget that I was an experienced drug user for years. To prove them wrong, I decided to make this post and read it later to check my cognitive skills.

Would you look at that? thefed is using punctuation and capitalization instead of ellipses.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #2

Consciousness, check. Motor skills, check. Creative writing, -next post.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I paid for my own back in '78 'cause I didn't have dental insurance. My doctor told me to take aspirin for pain. My best advice is don't eat ANYTHING until the gaps where your teeth used to be heal over.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #4

luckily they gave me some vicodin, which i used to eat like candy...it doesnt help much but at least its better than aspirin!

about 1 hr after my first post, the novicaine wore off and i was writhing in pain. i had a few percocets laying around that really helped

the roots were so deep the doc refused to do them all at once....so i have one good side to chew with....although all i've 'chewed"' over there is some raman noodles. aside from that ive eaten 4 bowls of oatmeal and a popsicle.

still bleeding...and the gauze is annoying as hell. hope it stops soon!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
luckily they gave me some vicodin, which i used to eat like candy...it doesnt help much but at least its better than aspirin!

about 1 hr after my first post, the novicaine wore off and i was writhing in pain. i had a few percocets laying around that really helped

the roots were so deep the doc refused to do them all at once....so i have one good side to chew with....although all i've 'chewed"' over there is some raman noodles. aside from that ive eaten 4 bowls of oatmeal and a popsicle.

still bleeding...and the gauze is annoying as hell. hope it stops soon!
I had mine out right before going off to college. All four of my wisdom teeth were lying completely horizontal, and if they had started to come in would have ruined two years and many many dollars worth of orthodontic work, so they had to go!

I no longer remember the name of the painkiller they gave me, but it used to knock me out completely for several hours at a time. After a few days of that I decided the teeth couldn't be any worse than the drugs, and by that time, they no longer were. It's probably a good thing I had all four out at once—I'd have been very reluctant to go back for the other two once I knew what I was in for. As I recall these many years later, it was about a week before I could comfortably eat solid food, and even longer before I could eat things the size of rice without regretting it afterwards.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #6

Hope by now the pain is minimal. Keep up with the salt water rinses.

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hope you're feeling better soon. I had all four of mine removed at once, about 2 years ago. I did it just before I left megacorp because I wanted to take advantage of my rather generous dental insurance while I could.

I was really surprised by how much bleeding there was and how long it was before I could eat. I don't think I ate anything for a couple of days, and then after that I survived on soup and plain yogurt for several more days. Make sure you have some nice soft foods in the house and just go with whatever is comfortable.

BTW, the dental office told me that the intermittent use of ice packs (30 minutes on, 30 minutes off) was really important to the healing.

It seemed like a loooong time before those big "craters" at the back of my mouth closed up but other than that things were pretty much back to normal for me after a week. I hope the healing goes well.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ahh - reminds me of the Navy dentist experience - he had me brace my fist under my jaw so he could split the wisdom teeth for extraction. Always good to involve the patient in his/her care. Don't remember having to go right back on duty after - I'm sure they gave me some tylenol or sumpin after.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #9

I've had 2 wisdom teeth pulled over the years. The first one was about 30 years ago by an OLD dentist.....he'd been my family's dentist for several decades! He gave a shot of Novocaine or whatever, gathered up his vise-grips and pry-bar, and commenced to yank that sucker out! I swear he was trying to get his entire arm into my mouth. It only took a couple of minutes, but I sure wish he would have let the shot take effect BEFORE he started yanking!!!

It was a good 24 hours before it quit bleeding, and my jaw hurt for days!

I had a second wisdom tooth pulled in May of last year. I went to an oral surgeon, because my dentist doesn't pull teeth.....only money from my wallet! Anyway, he had to give me 4 shots before I finally got numb, then he reached in, grabbed that sucker, and popped it out! Took him about 15 seconds! He shoved a piece of gauze back there, gave me a zip-lock bag with more gauze in it with some sort of elixir on it to use until the bleeding quit, and gave a script for industrial-strength ibuprofen.

My toofer was yanked at about 10:30am, and the bleeding quit by 2pm....that day!!! And I didn't have to take anything for pain either...not so much as an aspirin! I was eating normally by the next day...just being careful not to shove anything back into the vacant lot!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Goonie, it seems to depend on the dentist and your roots.

In my family it isn't unusual for 2 of the 4 to have roots that end somewhere around the collarbone! I swear!

To bring up another thread - the DNA one - I wish I knew who to blame this on! Humph!!

ta,
mew
Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #11

I'm just glad that the 2 remaining wisdom teeth are in good shape....they grew in straight and are solid and healthy!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #12

How many times do I have to tell the lot of you not to post anything gruesome about dentists, at least till I have my 6 lower teeth pulled out?
My first visit to the dentist is on Friday 13...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
How many times do I have to tell the lot of you not to post anything gruesome about dentists, at least till I have my 6 lower teeth pulled out?
My first visit to the dentist is on Friday 13...
Gee, as much as I like dentists, I wish I could go in your place.....but alas, I just looked at my calendar, and I'm busy that day! Sorry!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #14

yeah, im still struggling here. bleeding off and on...pain off and on....but more often ON. still relying on the vicodin and some percocets i have laying around....tried to eat some baked potato soup and its been downhill ever since...even tho the potato chunks were the size of peas...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've obtained exclusive video of TheFed after his teeth were removed:

Old 11-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hope they feel better soon.
I had all 4 out at once under local anesthesia via IV in an oral surgeon's office. Hey, who turned out the lights?
Force yourself to do the salt water gargling. I did minimal gargling and developed something nasty called "dry socket". Ooooohhhh that hurt.

Eating? Forget that for a little while until the jaw pain subsides.
Got some bananas or strawberries or chocolate syrup and yogurt or milk or vanilla ice cream? Throw it in the blender and enjoy a nice filling fruit smoothie. Bananas, ice cream and a smidge of chocolate syrup is my fave.
Tomato soup is another good filling food right now.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Freebird, when I developed the "dry socket" (talk about pain.....), the dentist said it was because I rinsed too vigorously with that salt water. Of course that was 30 years ago, but I think the thing is you don't want to rinse that blood clot out (gross, I know) that keeps the area moist as the healing starts. So rinse, but watch yourself. If it starts to hurt so badly you must sleep sitting up, you might have a dry socket so go back to the dentist and let them pack it with this magical stuff that stops the pain instantly (for a few minutes anyway).
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #18

I must have been lucky. When I was 25 I had two on the left side pulled in the morning and my sister came over to my apartment with a big pot of homemade chicken soup expecting me to be suffering. Instead, she found me and a friend eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching The Battle of Britain on TV.

I remember that I wasn't up for running any marathons, but it wasn't that bad.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't take aspirin...it encourages bleeding.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #20

Sat. I had a quarter of a molar chip off. Off to the dentist this morning for the first of what will be several visits, can you say crown. Hey, where is my national dental insurance! I'll bet there are more than 43,000,000 with out dental insurance! ...

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote