Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm constantly having to make sure "news feed" is set to most recent instead of top stories. Seems like FB sneaks in there and resets it to top stories after a few days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm constantly having to make sure "news feed" is set to most recent instead of top stories. Seems like FB sneaks in there and resets it to top stories after a few days.
How do you do that? I'm not seeing that option, and wonder which why mine is.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I joined at someone's suggestions, well meaning but.. I did connect with some great former co-w*rkers and some family, that's been fine. Except the political bs, I did unfollow the political and religious zealots. Not sure why seemingly normal people get wrapped up in garbage but I refuse. Yes my initial reaction was were are the moderators.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Facebook is like a trip into your worst middle-school nightmare...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are using FireFox I recommend an add on called Facebook Purity. It allows you to filter out all the ads and crap you don't want to see as well as set the default to "see everything" instead of top posts.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Most of us only have 20-30 years left on this earth. I dont know about you but Im not going to waste those years worrying about whether or not the government , FB or anyone else knows where I'm going on vacation or what organizations I belong to. Who cares?
I kind of came around to this way of thinking too.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
what is your name, where do you live, what is your age, what church to you go to, what religion do you follow, what political organizations do you belong, when are you going on vacation and where, who will you vote for, who are your friends, where do they live, what organizations do they belong to..... Not so long ago, governments would kill (and did) for "such informations", now we are happily giving it away. Orwell anyone?
I give FB the least amount if information possible and never give anything access to my contacts.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #28

Same as nun.

I never sign into other apps with FB as they want access to all of your contacts.

I also never "like" companies, entertainment or other entities as it just gives helps their stuff show up in your timeline as well as helps FB profile you even more.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
How do you do that? I'm not seeing that option, and wonder which why mine is.
There is a little down arrow to the right of "news feed" which is on the left of the web page. If you click on that, you can choose between top stories and most recent.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #30

Religious and political posters as well as stupid videos and twitter length illiterate unintelligible comments. What's with someone who links and likes and shares each and every thing they see?

I look at some stuff; respond to some; never originate anything.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I give FB the least amount if information possible and never give anything access to my contacts.
Same here. We are not named as a real person. Location and age are approximate. No other info is shared. People figure out who we are by context.

We use Facebook to follow local nature and other happenings. Very active local nature groups - it a great way to keep up with the latest.

Some folks went on a pelagic birding trip yesterday. This morning I got to see photos of the whale shark they encountered plus several great deep water birds. Very cool - that's what I like FB for.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There is a little down arrow to the right of "news feed" which is on the left of the web page. If you click on that, you can choose between top stories and most recent.
Ah, thanks! So many places to hide options, I missed that, and it was set on "top stories" for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Facebook is like a trip into your worst middle-school nightmare...
I couldn't agree more. It was great to catch up with some folks I haven't talked to in YEARS, but now that I am "back home" (and have been since 2012), I noticed that I haven't SEEN ANY "reconnected friends" in person...so I asked myself if I REALLY missed them at all. So, I am finding myself on it less and less. When I do get on there, it's the same 'ole crap. This picture sums it pretty well for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facebook-then-vs-now-2005-vs-2015.jpg (184.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple of questions concerning "friends" on Facebook.
1. Do your posts always go out to all of your friends or is there a way to put friends into groups and then selectively post to only some of those groups? I like the idea of having an easy line of communication with family and select friends. For some other friends or ex-coworkers, I want to communicate, but not as often.
2. Once you friend someone, are you always making your Facebook name available/visible to all of that person's friends? I cringe at the thought of reconnecting with someone and then getting other friend requests I really don't want.

Thanks.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #35

I wish the newsfeed was more customizable. I want to know what my friends are posting, but no what they're "liking" or "sharing". No way to do that yet.

There is a plug-in called Social Fixer that made it even easier to hide posts, but it kept breaking every time there was a FB update. I haven't tried it for a year or so.

But I love FB. It helps me keep in touch with family and friends very easily. A lot of them don't even look at their emails any more.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Same here. I've been on the Internet since ARPAnet days, well before there was a WWW, and I have no interest in joining Facebook.

Being a curmudgeon helps.
No interest in facebook here, either. As Betty White once said about it, "It's a big waste of time!" If everyone thought like me, Zuckerberg would be flipping burgers somewhere!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
1. Do your posts always go out to all of your friends or is there a way to put friends into groups and then selectively post to only some of those groups? I like the idea of having an easy line of communication with family and select friends. For some other friends or ex-coworkers, I want to communicate, but not as often.
2. Once you friend someone, are you always making your Facebook name available/visible to all of that person's friends? I cringe at the thought of reconnecting with someone and then getting other friend requests I really don't want.

Thanks.
1. Yes, you can create groups & share only to the selected group. Your friends have no visibility into your groupings.
2. You can share with friends and disable "friend of friends"

You can also choose to share only some of your information even with your friends. And you don't have to fill in all the fields in your profile. Mine, for example, doesn't have my address or birthdate and no one can see my phone number.

FB has come a long way with privacy controls, but is very aggressive about trying to take control. Luckily, the user base is very vocal and equally aggressive.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks.
1. Yes, definitely. I don't do it myself, but I know there are people who have family/close friend groups, adults only group for their R rated humor, or special interest groups. https://www.facebook.com/help/204604196335128 ought to get you going.

2. Yes, I don't know of a way to avoid that.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks.
You can mark some as close friends, others as acquaintances. I think you can just publish to close friends, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'll admit - I joined facebook solely to stalk my kids. Once my older son joined, I joined, friended him, and keep an eye on his posts. Younger son has an account, but doesn't post - just has it to get some kind of video game credit by "liking" certain things. IRL friends want me to friend them - I refuse. I have a whoppin' 6 friends total. I have yet to make a single post and have only liked one thing.

Even with things cranked down as "secure" as possible with facebook, friends of friends can see you have an account. I wish that wasn't the case... The very few friends I accepted have mutual friends who want to friend me.

One of the friends I connected with asked why I wasn't posting pics from my summer long trip on facebook. Um... no thanks, I'd prefer to keep my post count at zero on facebook.

You probably know this Rodi, but kids are drifting away from Facebook, and now are on multiple other sites. I was having a few kids show me at school this summer. I couldn't keep up with what they were showing me and certainly cant remember the sites, but it was interesting what they showed me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote