Just pay a separate fee?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Whether Sunglasses, fry pans, or thingamabobs... great deal!... Get a second one...(like "free ") just pay a separate fee.

Shed light on what that "separate fee" is? :confused:

... so, if the frying pan is advertised @$19.95, then the separate fee for the second one is $19.95.

okay... great deal!:)

... so, if the frying pan is advertised @$19.95, then the separate fee for the second one is $19.95.

okay... great deal!:)

I'm guessing the separate fee is more like $4.95, and covers the cost, and then some, of the product. :facepalm:

Are they still pulling that tired old "shipping and handling fee" stunt?

I thought Amazon had put an end to that BS.

I won't buy anything the seller can't put an honest price on.

I agree that the separate fee is likely labeled as a second "shipping and handling" fee.

I always wondered why do they entice to give a second one, is the product so bad you need two to do what is intended?

I always wondered why do they entice to give a second one, is the product so bad you need two to do what is intended?

Is it really any different than if you go to the store and they are having a buy one get the second at 50% off sale? How about buy one get one free?

I don't think so.

Has anyone bought one? Do ya know, or just guessing. Seems like there are so many ads that someone here must have actually bought.

So... is the separate fee just free shipping for the second item or something different?

Think of the "fee" however you like. Does it matter to you if they call it a "fee", "shipping/handling", or something else? It's part of the total cost.

Is the item worth the extra amount to you? Do you need/want a second one of the item?

Does it matter if someone purchased or is just guessing? How would anyone really know?

Years ago I bought a can of the spray rubber stuff before it was widely available at Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. I paid an extra buck or two "fee" for a second can.

They may be calling it a fee or shipping/handling so they don't have to collect sales tax on the amount.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and looking for a catch when there is none.

Last edited:
Think of the "fee" however you like. Does it matter to you if they call it a "fee", "shipping/handling", or something else? It's part of the total cost.

Is the item worth the extra amount to you? Do you need/want a second one of the item?

Does it matter if someone purchased or is just guessing? How would anyone really know?

Years ago I bought a can of the spray rubber stuff before it was widely available at Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. I paid an extra buck or two "fee" for a second can.

They may be calling it a fee or shipping/handling so they don't have to collect sales tax on the amount.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and looking for a catch when there is none.

So... it's okay for an advertiser to offer the separate fee... And you go to the web site or phone number that is shown.... Just what is the separate fee?

So the item is a $19.95 fry pan and a $4.95 shipping cost toal $24.90

Is the separate fee?....:

1. an extra $19.95 fry pan with an extra $4.95 shipping fee. Total cost $49.80 or...
2.. an extra $19.95 but no extra shipping. Total cost $44.88 or...
3. no charge for the second pan, but another shipping price. Total cost $29.85 or...
4. some other cost like a $10.00 fee for extra handling... Total cost $34.90.

Anyone who has actually bought an TV advertised item with a separate fee?

Would it be possible to advertise the frying pan "free" but with a shipping and handling charge of $30.00. I seem to remember something about truth in advertising... but I guess that was in the last century.

I find that the "shipping/handling" fee is usually more than I am willing to pay for 1 item, why would I want two ?

So... it's okay for an advertiser to offer the separate fee... And you go to the web site or phone number that is shown.... Just what is the separate fee?

1. an extra $19.95 fry pan with an extra $4.95 shipping fee. Total cost $49.80 or...
3. no charge for the second pan, but another shipping price. Total cost $29.85 or...

Would it be possible to advertise the frying pan "free" but with a shipping and handling charge of $30.00. I seem to remember something about truth in advertising... but I guess that was in the last century.

I'm sorry that this issue causes you such mental distress.

Go to the website, create a mock order, and see how it comes up with the total.

Last edited:
Wow, all this fuss about whether to fall for a marketing ploy or not!

To me, it's simple. I see what the item I want goes for on Amazon. Then I check the web sites of Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or whoever else I think might have the same type of product. I buy the one which gives me the best value.

Funny how the advertisers use the word "save" when they really want you to "spend."

I save what I can, and spend on what I want or need. If it's on sale, and I was going to buy it anyway, great. But that's never a reason to buy something I hadn't planned to.

I'm sorry that this issue causes you such mental distress.

I don't really care...."I got mine" :)

Just thinking of how many billions of views these ads get. It's the free enterprise system at work... We just go along with it... just like we go along with the 18 minutes of ads out of 60 minutes of TV time. I just wish they'd come back with the cigarette ads... "I'd walk a mile for a Camel".

Caveat Emptor...
= the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Now if we just believed that, we could fire all the federal regulators and eliminate their departments.... :rolleyes: and cut our income tax in half.

:greetings10:

...Now if we just believed that, we could fire all the federal regulators and eliminate their departments.... :rolleyes: and cut our income tax in half...

Though perhaps only by living half as long.

The fee is whatever the vendor thinks is low enough to entice you to pay for a 2nd item, yet high enough that they can maximize their profits.

There's no magic here.

If you are enticed by an item, call the number on the screen or go to the website. They will happily tell you how much you will pay for the separate fee.

:dance:
Time to close the thread... nobody's been there... nobody knows...

Except me... 'cuz I went there... done that...

...and I ain't tellin',

Good luck! :LOL:

What does Amazon have to do with anything?

Sorry, my point was that Amazon's free shipping, and fast shipping, have put market pressure on all the other shippers.

I rarely see grossly exaggerated shipping and handling fees or "allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" any more. This used to be the norm.

Back
Top Bottom