Join Early Retirement Today

Just realized I don't give a ---- about the layoffs
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just realized I don't give a ---- about the layoffs

Megacorp consulting engineers is laying off people left and right. I think we're on round 5 or so within the last couple of months. The first round was easy - cutting fat - but now they're cutting really good people. Leaving the rest of us wondering who the heck is gonna do the work that we have left, and we have a huge pile of it just waiting to break loose.

Anyway, I just realized I don't care if I get laid off or not. I mean, firecalc is showing 100% probability for me, DW is already RE'd, and I'm really just afraid to pull the trigger. My biggest concern is healthcare until 2014, but the worst case is that COBRA would bridge that gap.

I kinda wish they'd lay me off. Wonder what the severance package was? Probably not more than 2 weeks. My supervisor has a big mouth, I bet I can get him to tell me without tipping my hand.

(Meanwhile, the CEO's annual compensation went from to $9.3M to $10.1M in October, up from $7-some M the year before.)

We have some folks who are on half-time, and I really wish I could get a piece of that. I even volunteered for it, but it seems I'm one of the 'indispensable' ones. Yeah, right. I guess I never should have gotten good at a specialty engineering field.

Anyway, I guess I'm surprised at how much I'm not frightened by the possibility of a layoff, or even the likelihood the branch office might even close. It's rather liberating.

But for some reason, I'm working my rear-end off and stressing myself out. I'd like to increase my nest egg by another couple of $100k or so, but I think I need to monitor my stress level and decide whether to bail out or not sometime this year.

Thanks for listening. It's not the sort of thing I can chat about at the office.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GB, just curious: do you have much of an active life outside of your career? What I am wondering is whether you are clinging to the known hellishness of the career mostly because you don't know what would come next. If so, perhaps a thought exercise about what you have always wanted to do but never had the time (no matter how seemingly frivolous or ridiculous) would be helpful.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #3

How about using your situation to your advantage in the next salary discussions?
Like in "either significant increase or part time position or I am off for retirement" - but phrased a bit more polite than that?
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Administrator

GalaxyBoy, why do you feel you need "another couple $100k" when FireCalc already shows you are at 100% ?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
How about using your situation to your advantage in the next salary discussions?
I used that in my last annual review, a year before I retired.

In my case, it was due to the international travel I was required to do; sometimes on a moment's notice.

It was "fun" and quite an experience when I was younger, but reaching my mid/late 50's it was getting too much.

My manager (from/in another country, with a different set of "business norms") told me that if I refused to travel, I would not be considered for any other opportunites or a chance of promotion.

I simply stated that while I felt I still had something to contribute to the company (of which I was part of for almost 30 years) I would not hesitate to submit my retirement papers, if he wished (I was putting the ball in his court).

As it turned out, I stayed another year - on my terms.

One of the few times I was able to control my (w*rk) destiny on my own, rather than negotiate from a position of weakness. I wanted the j*b (on my terms), but I didn't need the j*b.

Coming up on May 1 - five years retired and loving every day...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Like in "either significant increase or part time position or I am off for retirement" - but phrased a bit more polite than that?
GB-

I like the advice Chris offered. I'm also in the the engineering business. I don't know what your specialty is but, depending on that, you would very likely be able to find a part time gig somewhere else if that's what you really want.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
GalaxyBoy, why do you feel you need "another couple $100k" when FireCalc already shows you are at 100% ?
Michael, is there a "one more 100k" syndrome in addition to "one more year" syndrome?

GB, if you want part time, just ask for it nicely but firmly. I worked 50% time with full health insurance and other pro-rated benefits the last few years before I RE's and it was good.

Best case, you get it. Worst case, you get your name on "the list" which it sould like you wouldn't mind anyway.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Regarding the "one more $100K" thing, look at how much your job brought in, then look at how much your investments brought in.

If you volunteer to leave, will someone else got to keep his/her job?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I certainly had these sensations/emotions in the last year or two I was employed. Comments below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
firecalc is showing 100% probability for me, and I'm really just afraid to pull the trigger. My biggest concern is healthcare until 2014, but the worst case is that COBRA would bridge that gap. Ditto here, I needed more than 100% to be comfortable too. 'Past history is not a guarantee...'

Anyway, I guess I'm surprised at how much I'm not frightened by the possibility of a layoff, or even the likelihood the branch office might even close. It's rather liberating. I was always pretty fearless/self-confident. Once I reached FI, I was still respectful of all my co-workers (whether they deserved it or not IMO), but even more fearless. I didn't take worries home at all, probably the distinction.

But for some reason, I'm working my rear-end off and stressing myself out. I'd like to increase my nest egg by another couple of $100k or so, but I think I need to monitor my stress level and decide whether to bail out or not sometime this year. We all just reach a point where more money doesn't mean much, but that crossover point is unique to each of us. Based on my experience, you will know when you reach it. Once I pulled the trigger, I really didn't second guess myself, if anything it calmed me...

Thanks for listening. It's not the sort of thing I can chat about at the office. I vented here too, and got wonderful, patient support. Discussed my thoughts with DW, but no one else including family.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I vented here too, and got wonderful, patient support.
Sure - provide you call 'support' the repeated mention of "You've got the most severe case of OMYS* we've seen around here in recent history."

* One More Year Syndrome
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sure - provide you call 'support' the repeated mention of "You've got the most severe case of OMYS* we've seen around here in recent history."

* One More Year Syndrome
Am not...been a member for 4 years, but retired almost exactly a year after I first said I would.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you say so, it must be so.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

GalaxyBoy,

I completely empathize with you - even though it is clear you can leave, somehow it will be easier if you get a little push via a layoff. I am in the same position, I don't need the extra, though it would be nice. I just re-read the quote I have on my home bulletin board "You only get so much time in this life - use it wisely". Acquiring more assets is not the wisest use of my limited time.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

"I didn't take worries home at all, probably the distinction."

BINGO! Yes, that is fast becoming the main advantage of anticipating a near retirement, though not yet being retired.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Thanks for listening. It's not the sort of thing I can chat about at the office.
Vent all you want! I do it quite often, usually on the Class of 2012 subject. Most people ignore me, which says we have some smart people here.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

GalaxyBoy, there is an old Klingon proverb that says "You'll know when your BS bucket is filled." Sounds like yours is getting near to the top.

I realized my BS bucket was filled when I returned to work after the Christmas Vacation Winter Break. I remember having an administrator tell me I was not doing a good job catching the goof-offs and knuckleheads who were not paying attention to the lessons. I listened thoughtfully (thinking "idiot, I know about them, but I am continuing for the 75% who are paying attention!"). Then, after he left, I said to myself "It's time to go. I don't want to do this anymore."

I will fullfill my contract, doing the best job I can do teaching, and then end my full-time teaching career. If some knucklhead wants to ignore the lesson, that is his problem not mine. If some parent wants to pull her 'D' student out of class for a ten day trip to Disneyworld, let the returning 'F' student be the parent's problem. I am not taking the BS home anymoe.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
GalaxyBoy, there is an old Klingon proverb that says "You'll know when your BS bucket is filled."
I've heard that Klingon proverb as "Today is a good day to say bye"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
...If you volunteer to leave, will someone else got to keep his/her job?
Good question for OP to look into.

About a week after I told my boss my plan to ER six weeks later, our division of Megacorp started a(nother) round of layoffs. She was able to "count" me as one of the reductions and it saved someone's job (who really needed it). That was my "God sign" that I was doing the right thing.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Michael, is there a "one more 100k" syndrome in addition to "one more year" syndrome?
It's usually disguised as "if I could be sure of health insurance I would RE now"

GB,

It looks like healthcare is a big worry for you so how about looking for another gig, that provides healthcare, for a year or 2. You may well find the change refreshing.

FIRECALC had me at 100%. However, I was worried about healthcare also, but I managed to change jobs completely 2 years out from the point I could ER with health insurance. (it was within the same Megacorp but meant moving to another State and changing from a Global IT manager, in a posh fancy office, to a windowless office on a chemical plant working as a EE project engineer).