Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Just too many people in America.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a lot more money now too, but it's mainly because I'm older and have worked and saved for years. For most people, incomes have been pretty much flat (after inflation, adjusted for age).

To me, the rest of the stuff is pretty trivial -- my life is not all that different because I have CDs rather than LPs or cable rather than rabbit ears (cable was available 25 years ago, but I was too cheap to get it!). I had a Jetta too. It got me where I wanted to go, just like my car does today . . .

Personally (YMMV), I am worried about peak oil, global warming, overpopulation, impossible medical care costs, and things like that . . .
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
I have a lot more money now too, but it's mainly because I'm older and have worked and saved for years. For most people, incomes have been pretty much flat (after inflation, adjusted for age).

To me, the rest of the stuff is pretty trivial -- my life is not all that different because I have CDs rather than LPs or cable rather than rabbit ears (cable was available 25 years ago, but I was too cheap to get it!). I had a Jetta too. It got me where I wanted to go, just like my car does today . . .

Personally (YMMV), I am worried about peak oil, global warming, overpopulation, impossible medical care costs, and things like that . . .
Interesting I feel the same way!

That jetta was a trooper though, got me thru some big snowstorms in Jersey, front wheel drive a bit underpowered!!

Anyway this NC move seems to be a good one, I have gotten a part time coaching position in Cary for the spring and will sub in southern wake county starting next week on days I feel like it!

It really is all good!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the coaching job in Cary. Good school -- you will have a good time, especially compared to Newark!

Yes -- the Jetta was a tough little bugger -- lasted me a long time. But underpowered, like you said (mine was a deisel).
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
I agree with this. In many respects our lives are not much different than they were in the 50s. Just look at your house - same old beds, bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms. Sure there are some new novelties but the basics remain the same. I don't think the next 25 years will be so shattering that we won't recognize the place.

If Ray Kurzweill is right we are in for a big surprise when the singularity takes a two by four to our heads in a decade or two. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mesmerized by the population clock at the 1964 world's fair, i've advocated zero growth since i became a lazy environmentalist (young post-hippie; born too late--i would have made a good beatnik). however, i just got a new speakman showerhead and removed the water saver. anyone adding to population should continue with conservation measures and suffer less luxurious showering, having already made your bed.

if oceans really are rising between 3 & 20 ft within the next 100 years, then i don't see our generation being affected much other than becoming sad as we watch polar bears head towards extinction. could be a problem for the next generation towards the end of their life and if coastal cities start getting swamped your grandkids might have it difficult so you might want to consider them in your wills.

but as much as the observer might consider my view negative, i try to maintained optimism in the long run. so even after global warming shuts down the gulf stream so that a mini ice age brings about a temperature correction, humanity will find ways to survive. they might even invent something cooler than ipods.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #26

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5076322.stm

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO.../V9/N45/C2.jsp

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0505...050516-10.html

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20...uthseaice.html

I wouldn't be too worried about the sea level. These are just a few articles I can quote stating many glaciers are actually growing thicker. Yes some are older, but there are many out there with similar themes and a lot more, like the New York Times and others, that require you to register with the website.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
OK, Al. You go first.
Haha that was my thought too. How many remember my old governor in Colorado, Dick Lamm. He made himself famous buy proposing his own solution to the problem of an aging population and elder health care costs ... "people have a duty to die".

So far, Dick, I'm disobeying you ;-) But I'll probably knuckle under and submit some day .....

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0505...050516-10.html

I wouldn't be too worried about the sea level. These are just a few articles I can quote stating many glaciers are actually growing thicker.
interesting take but my layman's mind is not convinced that thickness is the issue, that the poles might fare better spread thin. from what i've read and what seems to make sense to my limited experience in dealing even with just tropical sunlight here, without the light colored ice coverage at the poles to reflect the sun's rays, global warming will increase. this also makes sense in terms of the above-mentioned thickening theory of the poles, that as the temperature increases, so does precipitation, at the poles, in the form of snow. the earth doesn't need a mountain of snow there, it needs plains of ice.

http://tinyurl.com/yhhuy2

by Guillaume Lavallee
41 minutes ago

MONTREAL (AFP) - An enormous ice shelf broke away from Ellesmere Island in the Canadian Arctic last year, researchers said, warning it could be another symptom of global warming.

The 66-square-kilometer (25.5-square-mile) ice island tore away from Ellesmere, a huge strip of land in the Canadian Arctic close to Greenland.

The break occurred in August 2005 and was so violent that it caused tremors that were detected by Canadian seismographs 250 kilometers (155 miles) away, but at the time no one was able to pinpoint what had happened.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I read that the ice that broke off was 3000 years old.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #30

lazy--I agree that the ice shelf needs to be larger and flater to slow global warming, however I was referencing the thought that the seas are raising. If the ice shelves are getting thicker the water has to be coming form somewhere and that leaves the sea, resulting in slower increases of the sea levels or even a lowering of the sea levels.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #31

lets, i'm so far out of my league here. i know even less about his than i do about finance. sorry, but i have nothing better than intuition. i do not mean or tend to be an alarmist, but i wonder, based on what absolutely little i read--and only what you've supplied on thickening--if this might just be a temporary phenomenon before even that mountain of snow thaws and there is no place for the snow to land but in a dark, warming & rising sea.

also another supposed problem with the warming sea is that you don't need to add more water to make the levels rise. you just need to increase its rate of vibration. i relearn that almost every time i put too much water in the pot to cook pasta.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:29 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Maybe those survivalist types in Idaho and montana got it right years ago when they went OFF the grid.
I agree.
I have actually been looking into the cob housing.
http://www.chicobco.com/cob-house-in-Eco-Village.gif
Unfortunately, there arent many here in the US (that I can tell, so far).
Not sure how many counties would approve these structures.
Housing made from mud.
Farm and eat from the feilds.
Live off of the energy from wind-mill.

Sounds like a great, relaxing retirement to me!
The only problem(s): my fiance is NOT into it at all and I have a good 20 years until ER...if I'm lucky!