Join Early Retirement Today

Just too many people in America.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
gone traveling

Just too many people in America.

I remember when we hit 200,000,000 back in the 60s, now 300,000,000.

the roads are basically the same, areas are just too congested, heck that trip I did down 95 yesterday, oofah.

plus the infrastructure is well $hit, look at the railroads!! they look like the old soviet union.

Then there is the electrical grid, yes we all lose power all too quickly in bad weather.

Maybe those survivalist types in Idaho and montana got it right years ago when they went OFF the grid.

Cheers
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Just too many people in America.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888

Then there is the electrical grid, yes we all lose power all too quickly in bad weather.

Maybe those survivalist types in Idaho and montana got it right years ago when they went OFF the grid.

Cheers
We get our electricity from "Progress" Energy around here. Given the number of outages, seems to me we are already sort of off the grid.
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The problem isn't too many people in America, it is that too many of them want to live in the same places.

Grumpy
Old 12-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
We get our electricity from "Progress" Energy around here. Given the number of outages, seems to me we are already sort of off the grid.
Yes but we are back on line quickly that nuke plant 15 miles from my place is owned by them!!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

nm
Old 12-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #6

how many would be just about right?
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #7

not a problem. in fact, you can send some more down here. but only send the rich ones. i need someone to buy this house.

"A U.S. census report released Friday shows that the boom for the Sunshine State has slowed, with Florida growing only 1.8 percent in 2006 after back-to-back years of adding more than 2 percent to the population." ~~recent news article

http://tinyurl.com/yfvr2o

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
To maintain a standard of living only slightly lower than we enjoy today, population size would need to decline to about 100 million people.
OK, Al. You go first.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
To maintain a standard of living only slightly lower than we enjoy today, population size would need to decline to about 100 million people.
Alrighty then! Can I help pick out people that we're going to eliminate send to less populous countries, in order to get the head count down here in the USofA??

I can think of some! Hey, with all those Iraqis getting blasted off the planet by there own brethern, I'm sure they could use some replenishment!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Where's the bird flu when you need it?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #12

Well that's certainly an interesting viewpoint. The author herself, Virginia Abernethy, makes for interesting googling. Add the phrase, "white supremacist"* to get straight to it, or go to her Wiki entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Abernethy

*she prefers the term "seperatist"
Old 12-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #13

Well, I read her article and decided that I am a separatist too. I want to keep myself separate from people like her.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in So. Cal. talk about masses of humanity! I always take into consideration the traffic before I go anywhere around here. I heard that last year more people left California than moved here. Suits me fine. There is nonstop construction going on, even with the slow down in housing sales. We had dairies, vineyards, orange groves, you name it.....Now.... housing tracks...malls, box stores, they never end, concrete jungle nothing else.
So the question is where to move in retirement? Another state? Another country?
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea
So the question is where to move in retirement? Another state? Another country?
the answer is to be happy with what you've got.

i went leaf peeping this year along the blue ridge parkway, an enjoyable & colorful mini-adventure but the mountain congestion surprised me. even hailing from fort lauderdale, the number of tourists in asheville & boone made me long for the relative calm of home. (i happened upon boone during a football game and could not even get into a restaurant.)

while we have way more cars in south florida then they have in the blue ridge mountains, we also have way more roads. one accident on those mountain roads (i ran into 3 during my week there) and you are stuck with no where to turn for hours.

at least at home there's usually a side road you can find which the tourists don't know about. as long as hertz doesn't rent to many cars with gps, local traffic should continue to flow even as population densifies.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where's the bird flu when you need it?
Inshalla. Man soon come.

Quote:
Alrighty then! Can I help pick out people that we're going to eliminate send to less populous countries, in order to get the head count down here in the USofA??
Don't rush me. It takes time to pack. 8)
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I just read the article. It is beyond me how anyone could doubt that humans like any other species have a range of preferred and maybe even necessary resources and conditions.

We will not recognize the world 25 years down the road, and IMO we will not likely judge it to be an overall improvement.

Ha
Old 12-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Be happy with what I've got? Sounds nice but I respectfully disagree. Many people have moved here. So it is probably time for me to move out. I live in the local mountains. Mmmm... might keep this little ol' cabin of mine, travel and look around. Then make the leap if I decide to settle somewhere else. 8)
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

We will not recognize the world 25 years down the road, and IMO we will not likely judge it to be an overall improvement.

Ha
If this turns out to be correct (as it may well), it will have some interesting implications for retirement, and especially for Early Retirement. Looking back 25 years, things were not all that different than today. Looking ahead 25 years -- who knows? Non-linearities, discontinuities, etc. may be lurking. No way to tell. What do you think, HaHA?
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
If this turns out to be correct (as it may well), it will have some interesting implications for retirement, and especially for Early Retirement. Looking back 25 years, things were not all that different than today. Looking ahead 25 years -- who knows? Non-linearities, discontinuities, etc. may be lurking. No way to tell. What do you think, HaHA?

Hummm 25 years ago, I still had LPs, a record player, No Cable TV yet, no cell phones, a 9K new Jetta VW no computer, rented a house for 900 dollars a month, Whoa!!!

My new house payment today is 200 dollars a month and I OWN IT a brand new one with all the bells and whistles....

I was making 30K in 1982 I am gonna get 32K for doing nothing in 2007, yes not much has changed!

Kool!

Oh I was working 4 jobs at that time!!