Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Katrina debate is over

Folks on this forum have made many good and worthy points about Katrina and its aftermath.* However, Barbara Bush seems to have rendered moot all future debate over who was to blame, what should have been done, etc.:


Ex-first lady sees Katrina's good side

Washington -- As President Bush battled criticism over the response to Hurricane Katrina, his mother declared it a success for evacuees who "were underprivileged anyway," saying many of the poor she had seen while touring a Houston relocation site were faring better than before the storm hit.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview Monday with the American Public Media radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."


Maybe wiser heads have more to add -- I, for one, am speechless.

Caroline

__________________

__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."
Let them eat cake!

I think we'll sell our home and move into Aloha Stadium. It's so big, who would complain?
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Katrina debate is over

As long as them there underprivileged (poor) can line up to get government handouts, I don't guess they care where they're lining up.
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."
I may need to don a flame-proof suit here, but maybe she has a point. *I had a "job" once where I had to spend a lot of time in Federal Housing Projects and other low income housing areas. *If you have not done so you would not appreciate how some of these peoople live everyday. * The "refugees" that are being sent to several states, including mine, are being treated much better than they have been most of their lives. *These people have been relocated to areas that are safe and clean with hundreds of Texans helping ythem by giving away free stuff; clothes, food, personal hygiene items, books, games and most of all kindness. *After living in abject poverty, this would be like being in heaven to these people. *

I can't support how the elder Mrs. Bush stated her comment, but I believe I see where she is coming from. *
__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I may need to don a flame-proof suit here, but maybe she has a point. *I had a "job" once where I had to spend a lot of time in Federal Housing Projects and other low income housing areas. *If you have not done so you would not appreciate how some of these peoople live everyday. * The "refugees" that are being sent to several states, including mine, are being treated much better than they have been most of their lives. *These people have been relocated to areas that are safe and clean with hundreds of Texans helping ythem by giving away free stuff; clothes, food, personal hygiene items, books, games and most of all kindness. *After living in abject poverty, this would be like being in heaven to these people. *

I can't support how the elder Mrs. Bush stated her comment, but I believe I see where she is coming from. *
I can see where you are coming from but A) I'm not sure that the horrible sh!t they went through before being given stuff is worth it and B) the kindness the refugees are being shown now just serves to underline the way the poorest of the poor are living in the richest country in the world.

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas"
I'm sure that was taken out of context.* *Maybe she was talking about the Bush twins.



__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Folks on this forum have made many good and worthy points about Katrina and its aftermath.* However, Barbara Bush seems to have rendered moot all future debate over who was to blame, what should have been done, etc.:


Ex-first lady sees Katrina's good side

Washington -- As President Bush battled criticism over the response to Hurricane Katrina, his mother declared it a success for evacuees who "were underprivileged anyway," saying many of the poor she had seen while touring a Houston relocation site were faring better than before the storm hit.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview Monday with the American Public Media radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."


Maybe wiser heads have more to add -- I, for one, am speechless.

Caroline

Well, I'm not! I always liked that lady.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,071
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Well, I'm not! I always liked that lady.

JG
JG: Just to simplify it for you: if you had one ligitimate IQ point, you'd be a troll.

--Greg
__________________
Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
JG:* Just to simplify it for you:* if you had one ligitimate IQ point, you'd be a troll.

--Greg
Get a grip man. You can't even spell

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Get a grip man. You can't even spell

JG
JG, your tagline has a misspelling in it too. Concors? Or concurs? Or are you baiting us?
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
JG, your tagline has a misspelling in it too.* Concors?* Or concurs?* Or are you baiting us?
Just trying to keep everyone on their toes

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Katrina debate is over

Or is it Concours i.e. Discordia Concours or discord in harmony.

As REW said earlier, we don't have to take the bait.

BTW, shame on Barbara Bush.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Or is it Concours i.e. Discordia Concours or discord in harmony.

As REW said earlier, we don't have to take the bait.

BTW, shame on Barbara Bush.*
"Discord in harmony" is about it. Unity gained by combining
disparate or conflicting elements. I thought it kind of captured the
spirit of this forum.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: Katrina debate is over

So far, I'm avoiding this bait. But do you have to dangle it in my face?
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Let them eat cake!
Maybe she (Barbara Bush) should hold a prayer service in the Astrodome thanking God for Hurricane Katrina and getting them out of the pits of New Orleans!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
So far, I'm avoiding this bait.* But do you have to dangle it in my face?
Reminds me of an old Gallagher skit about bass fisherpersons fishing during spawning season, trying to cast bait onto the nest. "How'd you like to be making love, and have someone dangle a pizza over the bed..."
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #17
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Katrina debate is over

A few days after the Oakland firestorm, at a meeting for fire victims, one of the officials said "I'd kind of like to have a fire to get rid of all my junk, and replace it with new stuff." Man, did he get his head handed to him!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
A few days after the Oakland firestorm, at a meeting for fire victims, one of the officials said "I'd kind of like to have a fire to get rid of all my junk, and replace it with new stuff."* Man, did he get his head handed to him!
Someone should have set him on fire.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,071
Re: Katrina debate is over

JG: The big picture for me is seeing an ego that just can’t quit, especially the self-reinforcing part. And this ego holds one of the worst hypocrisies I have ever seen: You proclaim that you live in a dog-eat-dog world, where only the strong survive or get ahead. And your force of intelligence makes you the big winner. You spout your cynical-apathy regarding politics and the stupidity of everyone except you—survival of the fittest—which, of course, is you again.

You have said that you have leached off your wife and friends and family in the past. You see this as smart. You are planning to collect Social Security and see that as simply taking advantage of a chaotic and irreversibly sick government. The list goes on forever for you. That’s all you see, some advantage for yourself, some advantage for you if you’re nice to your wife, etc. Pitiful almost.

I see things differently. When you use your wife’s money to help you visit Texas, I see a kind and benevolent woman who does something out of care, concern, and, perhaps, even love. When you eat your parent’s food and loutishly come to this message board to “honestly” proclaim the advantage you took of them, I see a kind and gentle mother helping her son enjoy a small part of the day with them. Even your public goings on show your stupidity: you bad mouth the local government units that provided you with roads to get to fishing locations, sidewalks to walk the dog, streetlights so that you can see at night and help with crime, and sewers that carry away your refuse. These were often built with tax payer dollars provided by citizens who voluntarily wanted to bring a better life to everyone—even you. Perhaps they weren’t benevolent tax payers, but they were tax payers who thought that civilization and order is better than a dog-eat-dog world, a world of brutal thoughts and behaviors.

Even when you drive your car, you are depending on the orderliness, goodwill, lawfulness of 99.9% of the other drivers 99.9% of the time. But you don’t see that. You see the one miserable driver that doesn’t want to follow the rules and show goodwill. You end up seeing the worst in everyone or thinking the worst about everyone. No wonder guns are so important to you and the final arbiter of all actions

You feed off this stuff, this kindness, this orderliness, this general love and benevolence of all other human beings. Without it, you would have nothing; and yet you don’t see the better half of life, the human side. You stick your head into a dumpster looking for a typewriter that some ‘fool’ didn’t know was worth twenty dollars and then don’t recognize that you are only there and doing what you do because of the benevolence and goodwill of the property and dumpster owner.

I had a tenant once with an IQ of about 60-70 and a brain filled with cysts. Even he knew that the government and people were good most of time and were helping him. He made the connection.

So, am I wrong in how I see you?

--Greg
__________________
Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Katrina debate is over
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Re: Katrina debate is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
...knew that the government...[was] helping him.*
I can't deny that the government is trying to help people. And, like you, I think most people want to help others at some basic level.

The problem I see is that most people don't want to do the helping themselves, they want the government to do it. And the government just isn't that good at it. Frankly, they suck.
__________________

__________________
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new debate on paying off the mortgage (or not). Nords FIRE and Money 87 05-01-2010 08:49 PM
I thought I'd post a Picture of my Wife naked..... TromboneAl Life after FIRE 13 10-19-2005 10:14 AM
More Katrina rescue frustration sgeeeee Other topics 44 09-08-2005 01:02 PM
Market reaction to Katrina. riskadverse Other topics 22 09-01-2005 11:22 AM
Katrina Targeting U.S. Oil Operations Craig Other topics 1 08-28-2005 11:57 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.