Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Katrina II (aka Rita)
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Whatever it takes to get people to learn to respect and conserve our natural, non-renewable resources.
Mass transit does come into existence overnight. People don't change their tastes and preferences overnight either, nor do they suddenly require less heat into the winter.

The way to get people to understand the true costs of fossil fuels are through taxes- much like Europe does. Tax the fuel, spend on transit infrastructure. This cuts down on urban sprawl, and provides many transportation alternatives. While I was in Italy, it was mind blowing that I could take a train and pretty much get to wherever I wanted to go... we have no such infrastructure here in the US, and in the not-so-distant future of peaking oil and expensive energy, our shortsightedness will really begin to cost us. Supply shocks generally cause more harm than good I think.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
when has it become the responsibility of the federal government to fully fund reconstruction for a city?
Let's say the government had handled the evacuation flawlessly. Would they still be writing blank checks for reconstruction?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The way to get people to understand the true costs of fossil fuels are through taxes- much like Europe does. Tax the fuel, spend on transit infrastructure. This cuts down on urban sprawl, and provides many transportation alternatives. While I was in Italy, it was mind blowing that I could take a train and pretty much get to wherever I wanted to go... we have no such infrastructure here in the US, and in the not-so-distant future of peaking oil and expensive energy, our shortsightedness will really begin to cost us. Supply shocks generally cause more harm than good I think.
That sounds great! I'm all for that.

But i still mean what I say about energy prices; I profit both monetarily and personally seeing them go up, so from where i'm sitting all the better if Rita knocks out another 10-15 refineries and oil rigs.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sounds great!* *I'm all for that.*

But i still mean what I say about energy prices;* I profit both monetarily and personally seeing them go up, so from where i'm sitting all the better if Rita knocks out another 10-15 refineries and oil rigs.
I'm not sure I would be so eager to see that, even if I had a big investment in natural resources. If more production/refining stuff gets trashed, energy prices may well go high enough to push the economy into a recession at the same time inflation is spiking. Remember all those historical simulations about the worst time to retire? 1966 was at the top of the list because of a prolonged period of "stagflation".

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'm not sure I would be so eager to see that, even if I had a big investment in natural resources.*
Agreed. No part of the economy can function in complete isolation from the rest.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That sounds great!* *I'm all for that.*

But i still mean what I say about energy prices;* I profit both monetarily and personally seeing them go up, so from where i'm sitting all the better if Rita knocks out another 10-15 refineries and oil rigs.
I understand your statement is intended to reflect your environmental beliefs but I would offer that higher gas prices will show up in all sectors of the economy where prices for higher fuel will effect everything you buy resulting in an inflation spiral and reduced consumer spending. *Many on limited incomes will find this far less a positive thing than you do. *

If Rita does knock out another 10-15 refineries and oil rigs, you will also be paying much higher prices for everything you buy; not just gasoline. *I hope you are prepared to also see more income taxes to offset the reduced spending and reducted production as inventories of goods rise and the stock market falls. *
Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Many on limited incomes will find this far less a positive thing than you do.
That was one of my main points;* i'm in a far better position to weather the "storm" than the average joe.* * IMO, its not what you have that measures your success or lack thereof.* *Its what you have relative to everyone else.* * The above-discussed scenario is going to hurt others a lot more than it will me.

Re taxes possibily going higer on me, I play this game called "see how low i can get my realized income", inspired by The Millionairre Next Door* *(Rising) taxes, for me, fall in the same heading as rising energy prices;* its going to hurt others a lot more than its going to hurt me.* *I dont have a high consumption/high realized income lifestyle that would me put into jeopardy by this happening.* Maxed 401(k)?* check* *Maxed IRAs?* check* * child credit?* check* * Health plan tax deductible?* check* *Flexible spending account?* check Interest on home mortgage?* check* *Itemize?* check* * Bulk of net worth in tax sheltered accounts?* check.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Check this out:

http://gom.rigzone.com/rita.asp

- George Orwell

Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Looks like a very dense area of rigs will be hit by the eastern (stronger) part of the storm.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Lotsa refineries in eastern TX, too.

- George Orwell

Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #31

Quote:
"Rita is developing into our worst-case scenario," said John Kilduff, vice president of risk management at Fimat USA in New York. "This is headed right into our other major refining center just after all the damage done to facilities in Louisiana. From an energy perspective it doesn't get any worse than this."
Old 09-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting article from February of this year on the difficulties of evacuating the poor and disabled without cars from Galveston: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3046591

Wonder what has been done since that time to solve the problem, if anything.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Wonder what has been done since that time to solve the problem, if anything.

Since February?!? By a government agency?!?

I don't think we need to wonder.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghopper

Since February?!?* By a government agency?!?

I don't think we need to wonder.
I wasn't looking at the date so much as "poor" and "disabled"... the two weakest creatures in our political system.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Poor and disabled..........sounds like NO all over again. We have no adequate means to evacuate people without their own transportation. Any major disaster will affect these people more than others just because there is no adequate means to get them out...especially when the infrastructure of cities are in chaos (is that redundant?)

Just imagine what it would take to create a means to move hundreds of thousands of people from inner city or rural areas. How do you do it? Where do the resources come from? Who pays for it? Where do you put these people? etc etc etc.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Where do you put these people?

FEMAs answer is to put people in $30k 27' RVs
Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #37

Before anybody gets their underwear in a twist about the poor and disabled people in Galveston (probably too late...)

The Gov's been on TV, and the word has gone out about the big bus convoy's to Huntsville. Locations where the busses will pick up, times, etc.

Also, the evacuation plan for the coast, and back into some areas of Houston, have been well publicized. Three timed phases of withdrawals depending on mapped areas A, B, and C.

Also, exact highway routes to particular cities vs. what towns/area people are leaving from on their own have been established to try to minimize traffic gridlock.

Realize that just because Wolfy Blitzer hasn't covered it in the "Situation Room", doesn't mean that nothing is happening!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Telly.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #39

It's funny how Texas has their act together and LA/NO didn't. Wonder why?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rita is now a Category 5.

Telly, I think you've said you live somewhere near the Texas coast. Are you packing up and heading for higher ground?