Join Early Retirement Today

Keeping Coyotes at Bay
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keeping Coyotes at Bay

My daughter was walking her two little dogs last night. She heard a growling noise, looked around and saw a very healthy-looking coyote staring a the three of them. The coyote trotted away. The question is, what is a good coyote deterrent? (She sold her gun before she left Wisconsin).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

Pepper spray? That should deter them if your daughter does not want to re-arm.

Around here the coyotes are small and thin, maybe 40-50 lbs max. They are mostly heard, rarely seen. I am sure they might be potentially responsible for some missing cats around.

My dogs are all bigger than the coyotes, so I think they stay clear of my house area. Plus most neighbors have bigger dogs, since I live in country area and not suburbs or urban city.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Joni & Jaco

Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Coyote sightings have increased significantly this summer in my city, Albuquerque, near the river as reported on the Nextdoor website. This weekend one was seen about 3 blocks from my home during an early morning walk and a half eaten cat was found a few blocks away. I'm 1/2-1 mile from the river and there have been many sightings in other neighborhoods up to 2 miles in. Sometimes a pack of 3-4 coyotes. These are older established neighborhoods bordering downtown. I've lived in my neighborhood since 1990 and occasionally there has been an unconfirmed coyote sighting reported but nothing like this.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Bear spray.
It's legal, don't need a permit, much wider pattern and will literally stop a bear.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We had 4 coyote pups under our back deck 2 yrs ago.
Used a radio to encourage them to leave by having it on constantly.
The pups were extremely cute, like little kittens, but the parents were not so cute
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Check with your conservation department. I'm sure they'll suggest a non-lethal defense such as bear spray but hey they deal with it in her area. They'd have any recent population reports.

Healthy coyotes seldom attack people but little dogs are snack size(we have two). Look around the area, are there places where there's less cover for them? Maybe change where she walks? Make more noise? Obviously if she sees any erratic behavior the conservation department is the place to call.

I found this article. The author has some practical tips for dealing with the problem.

http://slimdoggy.com/protecting-your...-from-coyotes/
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Probably the most effective strategy is hazing. Whenever you see them you shout, make noise, throw rocks and stones, etc. Anything you can do to enhance their natural wariness and fear of humans helps them and helps you.

Beyond that, keep potential food sources (garbage cans, etc.) out of easy access. As for warding them off up close and personal, pepper spray and maybe a stick or staff. A handgun would work, but you may or may not wish to carry one and in a heavily populated area the risks likely outweigh the benefits. Depending on where you are, coyotes vary considerably in size. Where we live, they rarely get much over 30 to 35 pounds and are still true coyotes. In other areas they are heavily intermixed with dogs and wolves. These things can get to 75 pounds and look like a german shepherd. The locals I would not hesitate to kick the crap out of if they tangled with my dogs. If I were dealing with big coydogs, I would probably depend on hazing and pepper spray if the area were too populated to safely "ventilate" the ones that did not get the message from hazing attempts.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #9

+1 on hazing. Carry an empty soda can with coins in it and jangle it at them. The idea is to make humans seem scary to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

When I want to get rid of any critter or bug, I go to Bugspray.com. They actually sell timber wolf urine and mountain lion urine that'll run'em off. They also don't like noise.

See: coyote control, Coyote Control, COYOTE CONTROL, coyot control, Coyot Control, COYOT CONTROL, coyotte control, Coyotte Control, COYOTTE CONTROL, coyote problem, Coyote Problem, COYOTE PROBLEM, coyote infestation, Coyote Infestation, COYOTE INFESTATION
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Bear spray.
It's legal, don't need a permit, much wider pattern and will literally stop a bear.
Except when it doesn't, from yesterday:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-grizzly-bear/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...506_story.html

But bear spray is a great idea. Although, I don't see how one can use bear spray effectively while controlling two little dogs. Two hand operation is best.

We have coyotes where we live, but there are enough things to eat that they don't seem interested in interactions with humans.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When I want to get rid of any critter or bug, I go to Bugspray.com. They actually sell timber wolf urine and mountain lion urine that'll run'em off. They also don't like noise.

See: coyote control, Coyote Control, COYOTE CONTROL, coyot control, Coyot Control, COYOT CONTROL, coyotte control, Coyotte Control, COYOTTE CONTROL, coyote problem, Coyote Problem, COYOTE PROBLEM, coyote infestation, Coyote Infestation, COYOTE INFESTATION
Good to see that others keep trying different spellings of words till they decide something looks right.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I live near a suburban "nature preserve", and bike there often. Have spotted two coyotes in the past few months; one crossed the bike trail in front of me, the other was hightailing it into the brush just as I rounded a curve. There is an abundance of rabbits and squirrels around, and a powerline right-of-way, a pretty good-sized creek, and a couple of small lakes to provide corridors for travel. With the ghastly rapid expansion of "civilization" around the area, I expect more human-coyote interactions in the future. Haven't seen one in the 'hood, but I'd bet they're here. My back yard is well fenced, and with no domestic critters, or food sources, I don't expect them to hang around here much.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #14

I live on a canyon and see coyotes a few times a year. Also the occasional bobcat. I agree 100% with hazing/noise/shouting/banging things.

When I was a kid - before the neighborhood was as developed, it was not uncommon to see coyotes loping down the street, or crossing the elementary school playground. Especially when they were putting in houses near the school, displacing the coyotes. I have canyons to the north and south of my house, and sometimes they'll cut through the houses, in between the canyons....
Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
My daughter was walking her two little dogs last night. She heard a growling noise, looked around and saw a very healthy-looking coyote staring a the three of them. The coyote trotted away. The question is, what is a good coyote deterrent? (She sold her gun before she left Wisconsin).
yelling at them works for me
Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Good to see all of the well reasoned solutions being offered (making noise, waving, perhaps pepper spray). I grew up on a farm in a 'flyover' state, and we never paid much attention to them. Fast forward 25 years and move to a suburban metro area and the local TV news latches onto every sighting as a reason to lock yourself indoors and call the police.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
+1, you read my mind
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #18

No advise, while we have loads of song dogs, they are still wild and avoid humans. Every morning the four dogs howl at/with a local pack just before dawn. We don't allow the cats out, mostly because of rattlesnakes, golden eagles, and great-horned owls.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post
Good to see all of the well reasoned solutions being offered (making noise, waving, perhaps pepper spray). I grew up on a farm in a 'flyover' state, and we never paid much attention to them. Fast forward 25 years and move to a suburban metro area and the local TV news latches onto every sighting as a reason to lock yourself indoors and call the police.
My concern is for my cat and I am sure that some are concerned about their small children, grandchildren, and small dogs. One person actually saw their poodle carried away by a coyote. I have a cat door and my cat has always loved the great outdoors - I got her at 7 months and she was already used to going outside. Fortunately she is now going on 14 years and much of her outdoor time these days is lying on a patio chair surveying her back yard territory. So far I am shutting the cat door at night and not allowing her out until 8 am or so. Lack of traffic and pet safety was one reason that I selected my home 25 years ago - I did not expect to have to contend with large predators.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

And here I thought you were getting hit on by an older women: Cougar vs. Coyote | BlogHer
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote