Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ken Stabler RIP
Old 07-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Ken Stabler RIP

Remember his playing days.... sorry to hear he passed....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...225802393.html
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,414
No not the Snake! Some great games.
__________________

__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,316
He was my favorite QB of that era. It was great watching the Raiders-Steelers rivalry with Biletnikoff and Branch catching his passes. RIP "Snake"
__________________
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,980
Sad to see him go at such a young age, reminder, get those colonoscopies.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,465
Stabler played in Houston during the time when Gifford Nielson was the backup QB for the Oilers. I can remember reading some of the comments in the local newspaper that the players in the huddle could tell who was the QB during any given play without looking. If the huddle smelled like milkshakes, it was Nielson, if if smelled like Jack Daniels, it was Stabler.

RIP Ken
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,528
One of the greats and colorful players of an era gone by.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2017ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sad to see him go at such a young age, reminder, get those colonoscopies.
That was the very first thought I had upon reading the headline last night.... Sad.
__________________
OMY * 3 2ish Done 7.28.17
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Stabler played in Houston during the time when Gifford Nielson was the backup QB for the Oilers. I can remember reading some of the comments in the local newspaper that the players in the huddle could tell who was the QB during any given play without looking. If the huddle smelled like milkshakes, it was Nielson, if if smelled like Jack Daniels, it was Stabler.

RIP Ken

Just think of all the stories about those personalities such as Snake we missed out on because the internet was not around back then. They knew how to burn the candle at both ends. I just don't see how Joe Namath is a HOF and Stabler not. The game was played differently back in the 70s so his stats wont reflect the achievements compared to a modern era QB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just think of all the stories about those personalities such as Snake we missed out on because the internet was not around back then. They knew how to burn the candle at both ends. I just don't see how Joe Namath is a HOF and Stabler not. The game was played differently back in the 70s so his stats wont reflect the achievements compared to a modern era QB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All very true. I wonder sometimes how the Superbowl winners of the past few years would do against a team like the 1972 Dolphins (when in their prime) playing by the rules of those days. Of course modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
Willers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 480
I loved that team back then. Remember how much stick-em Biletnikoff used to put on his hands?

Stabler seemed so old school. What a contrast to Griese and Staubach, the all-American boys.
__________________
“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,880
If I recall it accurately Stabler followed Namath at Alabama. Hard to name two more successful NFL QBs from the same school/coach.
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
All very true. I wonder sometimes how the Superbowl winners of the past few years would do against a team like the 1972 Dolphins (when in their prime) playing by the rules of those days. Of course modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage.
I think that the teams today would crush the teams back then... I would bet that the 72 Dolphins would not even win half their games...

Why? Because the size of players today are just so much bigger and they train all year long... I am going to make some big guess here... but IIRC a lineman was in the 240ish range... now they are 300 and faster... QBs were less than 200... so were running backs.... so, with the speed and weight gains they would not stand a chance...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think that the teams today would crush the teams back then... I would bet that the 72 Dolphins would not even win half their games...

Why? Because the size of players today are just so much bigger and they train all year long... I am going to make some big guess here... but IIRC a lineman was in the 240ish range... now they are 300 and faster... QBs were less than 200... so were running backs.... so, with the speed and weight gains they would not stand a chance...
I don't disagree, and as I said, "modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage" I don't think the players today got that much bigger and faster just by eating a few more Big Mac's.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,880
Quote:
Remember how much stick-em Biletnikoff used to put on his hands?
I recall how effective FreddieB was @ FSU his last 2 years. I couldn't tell if he was that good or the competition was that bad. His time in the NFL answered that one.
__________________

__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ken Lay's conviction vacated! 73ss454 Other topics 9 10-19-2006 06:01 PM
Ken Lay (dead) 73ss454 Other topics 33 07-07-2006 02:14 PM
Newbie Ken says hello and thanks kb56 Hi, I am... 5 05-24-2006 10:04 PM
can Ken Lay retire? Will he be posting here soon? dex FIRE and Money 17 02-27-2006 02:39 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.