Join Early Retirement Today
Kenny Boy goes to trial in January.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Kenny Boy goes to trial in January.

As the courts wrap up the Rigases, Dennis Kozlowski, Bernie Ebbers, and the rest of the sideshows, the mother of all financial-crimes trials is getting ready to gear up the jurors.

I just finished reading Bethany McLean's "The Smartest Guys in the Room" and]Kurt Eichenwald's "Conspiracy of Fools"[url]. Both were good in their own ways and each complemented the other. They both start off relatively dry but as you get to know the characters it's very hard to put down the story before the train wreck screeches to its inevitable halt.

McLean wrote a lighter story that focuses on the personalities and has lots of pictures. It ends as Enron files for bankruptcy. If you're only going to read one book and you're going to do it at the beach, this is the one. It's a good thing I read it first because it helps to ease into Eichenwald's book.

Eichenwald's is exhaustively researched (one underpaid assistant had to chronologically sort over 10,000 pages into 200 binders and 20 file cabinets) and it focuses on who did what to whom and when. The best focus of Eichenwald's book is the motivations of the major players and the bankruptcy backbiting. His account of the elevator-sharing scene between Jeff Skilling (in handcuffs) and Ben Glisan (in prison coveralls) is priceless. Some characters in McLean's book (like Lou Pai) barely even make it into Eichenwald's. He goes to great lengths, though, to show how most of the main characters didn't even know the basic concepts and routines of corporate finance. He managed to dig up stories & documents that Mclean never mentions, and he includes exhaustive footnotes on how he verified his facts. This is a good book for getting a handle on who's going to trial for what reasons.

Eichenwald also disposes of conspiracy theories like Cliff Baxter's suicide, Enron's part in the California power-deregulation fiasco, Lay's meetings with Cheney, and the freeze of Enron's 401(k) program while changing providers.

Considering the successes of the strategies adopted by the CEO "peers" and his co-workers, it'll be interesting to see how Ken Lay chooses to portray himself!

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!