Join Early Retirement Today

Kenny Boy needs help quick!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Kenny Boy needs help quick!

Business Week has one of the better articles, but there's wide coverage of an event where Ken Lay has been shooting off his mouth again yesterday.

It turns out that "Lay portrayed himself as a martyr persecuted by overzealous federal prosecutors more intent on getting a conviction than seeking the truth. He said prosecutors were engaged in a 'wave of terror,' intimidating potential witnesses who could clear his name and prove that Enron 'was a real company, a substantial company, an honest company.' Lay urged Enron employees to 'stand up' and be 'truthsayers.'"

Even more incredibly, "'Enron's bankruptcy was caused by liquidity problems, not by solvency problems. The company's on- and off-balance-sheet assets exceeded its liabilities by billions of dollars,' he said. Indeed, he claimed that Enron would still be a going concern if investors hadn't panicked."

I'm guessing that next month we're going to see the "temporary insanity" defense. "Temporary" as in, say, approximately 1990 through the end of 2002.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Kenny Boy needs help quick!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm guessing that next month we're going to see the "temporary insanity" defense. "Temporary" as in, say, approximately 1990 through the end of 2002.
With Mr. Lies Lay's latest pronouncements, I'm guessing you are right with two exceptions: delete "temporary" and any reference to an end date.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...* Lay urged Enron employees to 'stand up' and be 'truthsayers.'"
Sure, the same employees that lost their entire 401k accounts, stock options and jobs due to this lunatic. *I am sure they are going to stand up and speak...we will regret what they will say. *I cannot believe his lawyer has not put a muzzle on him. *But, on the other hand, if his big mouth gets him some jail time then let him talk. *

I have had my share of financial loss due to company management misconduct. *Not as bad as these guys, but the effect was still a huge dip in my retirement accounts and a significant loss in stock options that will never see the light of day. *

Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Lay's attorney Mike Ramsey says the speech wasn't intended to influence jurors, which have already been selected, since the people attending the luncheon "are too smart to get on a jury that's going to last six months." Rather, Ramsey says, "Our backs are against the wall" in getting witnesses to help with Lay's defense. "We're trying to get Enron employees to speak out."
Wow Nice comment on the jurors.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle

Wow Nice comment on the jurors.
Unfortunately, it's probably true. Too bad Ken can't get me on the jury.
I would make sure he walked.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Sure, the same employees that lost their entire 401k accounts, stock options and jobs due to this lunatic. *I am sure they are going to stand up and speak...we will regret what they will say. *I cannot believe his lawyer has not put a muzzle on him. *But, on the other hand, if his big mouth gets him some jail time then let him talk. *

I have had my share of financial loss due to company management misconduct. *Not as bad as these guys, but the effect was still a huge dip in my retirement accounts and a significant loss in stock options that will never see the light of day. *

Whining is very unattractive.

JG
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Business Week has one of the better articles, but there's wide coverage of an event where Ken Lay has been shooting off his mouth again yesterday.

It turns out that "Lay portrayed himself as a martyr persecuted by overzealous federal prosecutors more intent on getting a conviction than seeking the truth. He said prosecutors were engaged in a 'wave of terror,' intimidating potential witnesses who could clear his name and prove that Enron 'was a real company, a substantial company, an honest company.'* Lay urged Enron employees to 'stand up' and be 'truthsayers.'"

Even more incredibly, "'Enron's bankruptcy was caused by liquidity problems, not by solvency problems. The company's on- and off-balance-sheet assets exceeded its liabilities by billions of dollars,' he said. Indeed, he claimed that Enron would still be a going concern if investors hadn't panicked."

I'm guessing that next month we're going to see the "temporary insanity" defense.* "Temporary" as in, say, approximately 1990 through the end of 2002.

Let me "lay" this to rest. Ken Lay is a scapegoat. His arguments make sense to me
and remember,,,,,,,,,,I have been there. Maybe not anything the size of Enron, but
I believe him, and even if I did not..................I would still turn him loose. Let the
"authorities" (clueless as they may be) go after the "real " criminals. The ENRON
employees, stockholders, and any leftist PC do-gooders should STFU
and get on with their lives. Beating up Ken Lay will not solve anything.

JG
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Let me "lay" this to rest.* Ken Lay is a scapegoat.* His arguments make sense to me
and remember
JG et al
Lay would like you to believe he is a scapegoat--if he is, it is not because he did not know what was going on and benefiting from it substantially.* Not acting to stop the actions of Skilling and Fastow is tatamount to conspiracy with them.
IMHO Lay is going to have to have to mount a successful "stupidity" defense rather than insanity.* I find it very disengeous to claim as CEO he did not know what his CFO was doing.* That all the AA auditors were too intimidated to let him know that his "crew" was drilling holes in the ENRON boat.* Remember this is the same guy that masterminded a similar set of scams in NY in the early 90's.*
Come-on, no one is uninformed as Lay claims he was; ever gets and keeps the top job as long as he did. Very hard IMHO for him to* be credible claiming he did not know Fastow and Skilling were making mana out of air.
Personally I think best thing for Lay, Skilling and Fastow is for them to spend as much time in jail as their former employees spend working to replace the savings destroyed by these three and their cohorts
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Galt, do you propose we should just quit whining when somebody breaks into our house? Or is stealiing o.k. when it's done with shady accounting? I figure you are just burnishing your corporation worshipping libertarian credentials with these posts, but come on!

NOTE TO MR. GALT: BAD GUYS SHOULD GO TO JAIL, EVEN IF THEY ARE RICH.

In this thread you manage to insult anyone who does his duty wrt jury duty, countless investors, public servants, and anyone to the left of Attilla the Hun, and then finish off saying you'd happily obstruct justice by throwing the jury regardless of the facts. Congrats "Galt, I think I hear Ayn Rand rolling over in her grave! Did you even read her books?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Galt, I am going to break my self imposed rule and comment on one of your posts.

You are an idiot.

Ha
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey John--

Let's see you pony up to put some cash in his legal defense fund!!!!!!!!!

Here in TX I have friends who have been devastated by the Enron mafia. They are crooks of the highest magnitude--because they stole from the people who believed in them.

You have a right to your opinion--but I think it's colored by events in your life that may not come close to what happened in and to Enron.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, johnny likes to play that "anything goes in corporate america and rich white people should be held to a lower standard' card.

Any CEO that doesnt know whats going on in his company to the tune of billions of dollars of fraud and that much wealth destruction, along with hosing all their employees or investors is guilty of either absolute idiocy or criminal activity.

Unless the guy makes forrest gump look good, and he doesnt, its that criminal thing.

Of course, if my last name was "Lay" I'd try anything to stay out of prison too...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently Rich Causey is trying to decide whether or not to "help" Ken Lay in his own inimitable way.

I suspect that this breaking news was inspired by Lay's recent appeal...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add me to the HaHa list of "Galt, you are an idiot".

I've read and seen more than most sitting here in Houston on the Enron fiasco.. and have a good understanding of the industry that Enron plays in. It was an orchestrated Ponzi scheme designed to enrich a small group of insiders. Ken Lay knew very well what was going on, though perhaps not the overall depth of it.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Ken Lay knew very well what was going on, though perhaps not the overall depth of it.
He was too busy screwing up his own finances.

Kurt Eichenwald quoted one Enron advisor to Lay saying that he'd either go down as the meanest, nastiest CEO in history-- or the stupidest.