Join Early Retirement Today

Kentucky Derby Analysis
Old 05-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kentucky Derby Analysis

OK, so I am a bit of a gambler, and it seems a small investment in the Kentucky Derby can help make an interesting retirement. Here is my outlook for tomorrows race:

Great speed horses in the presence of other great horses with speed cannot be slowed down, I expect this will be a very fast pace for this Kentucky Derby. Expect Dortmund, Carpe Diem and Materiality to break quickly and go out for the lead with American Pharaoh lurking closely right behind.

Coming up early Firing Line will begin to make a move on the leaders around the 3/8 point of the race and this will cause American Pharaoh to start to run, despite the fact Bob Baffert would prefer he hold back until the last 1/4.

By the 3/4 mile mark you'll have 5 horses bunched in front running with Upstart lurking about 5 lengths behind. At this point International Star and Frosted will begin to move up along the rail about 15-20 lengths back.

By the one mile mark American Pharaoh and Dortmund will be continuing in a duel and heading for home with the other speed horses fading, Upstart will be within a couple of lengths and International Star and Frosted will be moving into contention for the stretch run.

Running side by side American Pharaoh will suddenly pull up lame and Dortmund has an 1/8 of a mile to go. Frosted begins closing rapidly and gets second but amazingly Dortmund holds on with Upstart 3rd and International Star fourth.

Your program numbers 8-15-19-12

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

Right now I'm waffling between American Pharoah (18) and Carpe Diem (2)
Our local track has been running a Road to Kentucky contest and I'm in second place, 6 points behind the leader. $1,500 1st place and $1,000 2nd place.
The Derby is triple points so it will probably be the make or break race of the 13 races today.
I'm hoping your wrong about AP pulling up lame.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like listening to Eddie Olczyk's breakdown. He's picking Dortmund, but said a case can be made for many horses.

Quote:
NBC’s Eddie Olczyk joined the show to break down the Stanley Cup playoffs and weigh in on the Kentucky Derby. Olczyk broke down the field for Saturday’s race and said there’s a reason American Pharoah is everyone’s favorite. He also likes Dortmund, the second favorite. “It’s a wide open race,” Olczyk said. He likes Danzig Moon and Firing Line as darkhorses. Olczyk also analyzed the Rangers-Capitals series and the big picture of the NHL playoffs.
Eddie Olczyk shares his Kentucky Derby sleepers - Dan Patrick ShowDan Patrick Show

If I understand correctly, he says if you bet on a couple of favorites, then toss in a long shot, you have a chance of making some good money and not investing that much.

I don't bet. But I'll go with Dortmund too, just so I have a horse to root for when watching on TV
Old 05-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

A $2 name pulled out of a hat...
"It's a Knockout" 28 to 1
sheesh... one of us is born every minute.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised the odds on favorite won. Almost makes things too easy
Old 05-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Results... pretty good guesses...
My "Itsaknockout" beat Carpe Diem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Results.jpg (58.0 KB, 8 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
gone traveling

Now the big question, will we see a triple crown winner in 2015. Me thinks, probably not.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Now the big question, will we see a triple crown winner in 2015. Me thinks, probably not.
Indeed, probably not, especially given the fairly competitive finish in the race. It was one of the better Derby finishes I can remember.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Any predictions on the Preakness this afternoon?

I'm going with

1st place - Dortmund

2nd place - American Pharoah

Oh, since I'm not really betting, but if I was, as a long shot I'd wager on Bodhisattva.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Firing Line....1st

American Pharoah...2nd
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So, here we go again.

Now.. can American Pharoah win the triple crown or will he do a California Chrome?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
gone traveling

That was an impressive win coming off the rail. Nevertheless, the Belmont is quite a different race due to the distance and many great horses fail. It would be nice to see another triple crown winner, but IIRC there were something like 12 other horses, since Affirmed, that won going into the Belmont and then failed.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised American Pharoah led pretty much wire to wire with no challenge, especially in the #1 post.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
gone traveling

Oops, I meant to say coming out of the #1 post position, as AP stayed on the rail for the entire race.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
That was an impressive win coming off the rail. Nevertheless, the Belmont is quite a different race due to the distance and many great horses fail. It would be nice to see another triple crown winner, but IIRC there were something like 12 other horses, since Affirmed, that won going into the Belmont and then failed.
Yes, 12 exactly. I just read FiveThirtyEight's blog post on this topic here: Be Skeptical Of American Pharoah | FiveThirtyEight

Their conclusion: "Say you took $2 in 1979 and used it to bet against Spectacular Bid winning the Belmont at racebook odds, and then just “let it ride” betting it all against every horse that won the Derby and Preakness. Assuming you gave up 15 percent to the “takeout” (horse racing’s equivalent of the rake) each year, you’d have over $15,000 today (with no takeout, you’d have over $100,000)."
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm making things nice and easy.

Joining the bandwagon and picking American Pharoah to make history at the Belmont.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #17
gone traveling

A very small field of horses and not starting in the post position this time should favor AP.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Plus, if there is history, I don't want to be on the wrong side .
Old 06-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

In honor of the Belmont, and a possible Triple Crown, here's a look at one of the most amazing horses/races in history...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In honor of the Belmont, and a possible Triple Crown, here's a look at one of the most amazing horses/races in history...
We may get a new triple crown winner this year, but Secretariats time will not be touched. That race gives me goosebumps; what a true super horse he was. Thanks for posting.