Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Kentucky Derby - That's Some ROI
Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kentucky Derby - That's Some ROI

Watched the Kentucky Derby...

The owners (this couple from CA) of the winning horse (California Chrome) only paid about $8K. were called a "dumb ass" for living a pipe dream by the so called experts telling the horse had no chance, on an $8K horse (where as others pay millions for a race horse)?

That's some return on investment. What's even more charming is the really doesn't have any instructions for the jockey. It's up to the jockey with a warm and fuzzy feeling on how to ride the horse.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched...( always do, and hope to go in person some year!!!!)..

Maybe this will be the year for a Triple Crown....would sure be nice to see this guy win a Triple with his 8K horse......

Just goes to show sometimes being frugal pays off nicely.....!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The broadcast was saying that 12 times in like about 30(?) years a horse has won both the Kentucky and Preakness, but failed to win the Belmont.

Watching though was a reminder to watch only for fun but not to gamble as the horse that hockey broadcaster Eddie Olczyk (also known for his Derby picks, as he's picked winners in the past) ended up finishing last.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The Derby was a great race this year, and the Dumb Ass Partners win was nice to see.

I've never been to the Derby but DW and I were invited to see the Breeder's Cup at Churchill Downs a few years ago. The race crowd was more international than the crowd attending the Derby and the atmosphere was similar - a lot of ladies in elaborate hats and men wearing suits and ties.

Fortunately this was in the era before NBC thought it "cute" to have fashion commentary by a man wearing an elaborate hat...
Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Actually your numbers are a bit off. CC is the product of an $8,500 mare and a $2,500 stallion. and earned more than $1m before the Kentucky Derby.

What I found more amazing is that the owner turned down $6.1 million for a 51% stake in the horse. Now that is having the courage of your convictions!

I think I would have taken the $6.1 million and still had a 49% interest but they obviously made the right call.

Since he won so strongly, I'm hoping he continues towards the triple crown. It would make for a great movie.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Apologies for being off topic, but for some reason I have recently been watching replays of Secretariat's Triple Crown races. Maybe it's just the time of year. He was so good it sends shivers down my spine. He'd do things like start out in last place and make such a sudden move into the lead that it looked as if the other horses were standing still. My understanding is that Secretariat has the all time fastest Kentucky Derby finish, and the second place horse, Sham, most likely has the second fastest finish ever.

By comparison, California Chrome dominated the field this year, but had a rather slow time. I wonder how much of this is due to the race conditions - the jockey didn't seem to be pushing the horse hard at the end because of the big lead - and how much is because perhaps the rest of the field isn't particularly strong.

I would love to see another Triple Crown winner before I die. Maybe this is the year. The mom and pop owners of a bargain basement horse would make it a great story.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Also, guess we should point out that the horse was favored to win, at 2-1 odds. Yet, still, kinda a Cinderella story.

I got a kick out of how the commentators were mentioning the horse's habits...like he gets restless at that starting gate, doesn't like mud kicked in his face and prefers be a front runner.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

California Chrome is a really good looking race horse. Hope he continues to win as an already great story would get even better.

DW and I watched as well since we are originally from Louisville. Attending your first Derby in the infield is a right of passage and our son was there yesterday for his first time. At least you can now see the race from the infield since they installed the jumbo screen.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Attended the KD in '77, but was in the infield area, so didn't see much racing. :-P

Secretariat's performance at the Belmont was one of the all-time greatest moments in sport of any kind.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw him in the barn after the race and he didn't look happy, so I asked: "Why the long face?"
Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Administrator

<rimshot>
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote