Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I bought my daughter a Weber charcoal grill as a shower present . That was six years ago and it is still going strong .
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If you anticipate keeping your kettle grill a long time (decades as opposed to years), go for the basic Weber kettle. Ours is 38 years old and has only recently showed any signs of corrosion. It has always been stored outdoors uncovered. If you're thinking you will only have it a few years, go for the cheapo as long as it has the features you want.(snip).
The first year after I graduated from college, I had my first job, but was still living at home. I felt really flush with cash and bought more expensive Christmas presents for my family members than I ever had before. By chance, I discovered that my parents' old barbecue grill was rusted through on the bottom and bought them a Weber kettle-style grill to replace it. That was 1978, and they still have and occasionally use the grill.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a smoker but after the first season or two I never used it again. It's not worth the time and effort for me. I'm going to freecycle it.

I love our Weber Q. We use about 5 times per week.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #23

Go cheap. I've got 5 Webers spread between three homes. All of them I've purchased at yard sales. Haven't paid more than 10 dollars. The last two included new bags of charcoal. I've heard alot of great things about the egg as well. I'd pick one up if I ever see one at a yard sale or estate sale. But, those egg heads are die hard fans, they probably have them mentioned in their wills.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #24

Al, I've been looking at the Weber Q200 to replace my old larger propane BBQ. Which one do you have for the 2 of you?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Al, I've been looking at the Weber Q200 to replace my old larger propane BBQ. Which one do you have for the 2 of you?
It's just the Q -- the smallest one. There's enough space for grilling for four people. In winter it's small enough to put on a shelf in the garage. Less is more.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #26

I use one of these Kingsford Premier Console Charcoal Grill review at Kaboodle for grilling. For smokin I use one of these Amazon.com: Brinkmann 810-5301-6 Smoke'N Grill Charcoal Smoker and Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

However, I did not pay the prices listed for either!

I only use the smoker two or three times a year. However, when you want good brisket, it just won't work on the grill!.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My Weber is over 20 years old and still going strong--use it a lot. The handles are wood and I've had to put new screws in them a couple of times to keep the handle tight. My son-in-law has a newer Weber and the handles are plastic-type and are hot after cooking, but my wood handle isn't. I'm lazy so I keep the bottom vents closed and just keep the top off-kilter when grilling and it seems to do all right. About once a month dump the ashes in a garbage bag for the trash. If the bottom vents are open and the ash catcher catches them, they seem to blow all over the patio which is a pain. Also have a 50's old-timey grill that a neighbor gave me and I restored ( only did it cause it was an exact replica of the one my dad used). Never use it to grill but it's great for setting all your stuff on and has a storage compartment that we use to store the wire brush for cleaning the grill, lighter fluid, etc.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #28

A guy on a cooking show today explained that the difference between Gas and Charcoal is that gas is a moist heat and charcoal is a dry heat. He said that made the difference in the taste. Don't know if that is right, but we still like charcoal.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
How did you cook your Brisket?? Indirect heat with a water pan?
I didn't make brisket, I was referring to my ribs coming out like TX brisket. I did cook it with indirect heat.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #30

Big green egg fan here. It will last my lifetime and will be able to hand it down to another generation. I use it at least weekly. Brisket and ribs are amazing from it.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a gas grill but the last time chose the tabletop portable with the disposable gas canisters. I grill a couple of time a week Max. It is a fraction of the cost of a large grill,
does not require assembly and I can purchase the gas canisters at Target.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Big green egg fan here. It will last my lifetime and will be able to hand it down to another generation. I use it at least weekly. Brisket and ribs are amazing from it.
There are so many great things about the Egg.
  • It works equally well as a smoker, a grill, and a brick oven.
  • It minimizes the charcoal used, since the burning charcoal is soon extinguished when you're done cooking, so you can use it the next time.
  • That lifetime warranty is not to be sneezed at.
Eggheads become fanatical about them with good reason.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #33

Isn't dabbling in something an option anymore?

Spending a couple of hours to learn a little bit about barbecue so that you can cook it reasonably well 3-4 times a year doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

I'm never going to be a great gardener, but I've read a few books. I start a few plants and I usually get some food over the summer from my garden.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, obviously not everyone who cooks barbecue gets fat. I am just recounting my observation, and my thoughts at the time. These were guys who were very into it, as kind of a lifestyle like some other people might be into running, or bicycling or single malt whisky. Dedicated runners tend to share a physical and to some degree a personality type. I saw that dedicated barbecue guys did too, at least at that time and place and wrt physical characteristics. I was not motivated enough to find out more, since I can get better barbecue than I could ever make at a local shack and I rarely do that anyway. When I used to have relatives in TX I got my barbecue fix for a while in one visit.

If I went to a whisky tasting event and most of the guys were drunk, I would pass on this activity too. My expectation is that if I do something, I am more likely than not to come to resemble resemble others who do it.

Ha
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Isn't dabbling in something an option anymore?

Spending a couple of hours to learn a little bit about barbecue so that you can cook it reasonably well 3-4 times a year doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
Sure, if that appeals. When I had a house I cooked outside a lot, squatting by my hillbilly 18 wheeler brake drum. I cooked on wood, not bought charcoal. But no way would I consider me a barbecue guy, I was just cooking outside. These guys are often seriously good at it, and have put serious money and effort into their set-ups. Like I say, when I want real barbecue I go down to some guy's no more than one generation from the South who runs a shack and will sell me some.

I believe that obsessive people like ourselves on this board need to be careful about getting too deeply into too many things, and save our brains and attention spans for what really counts.

Ha
Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #35

I've assumed that hanging out on an internet message board was a fairly good sign that we have plenty of spare cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe that obsessive people like ourselves on this board need to be careful about getting too deeply into too many things, and save our brains and attention spans for what really counts.

Ha
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've assumed that hanging out on an internet message board was a fairly good sign that we have plenty of spare cycles
No, just another distraction.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #37

NYT has an article on the popular Big Green Egg today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/d...general&src=me
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

One of my sons has a large size big green egg. Everything that he makes in it is very very good. But it is a bit of trouble- a lot more than a gas grill for example, so in his life it doesn't get used at often as one might like. Or at least as often as I would like.

Ha
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I have two of them (Large and Small). Normally one or the other gets used three times a week. Since we joined the Taubes revolution and embarked on a low carb diet, the BGE has been a godsend to us.

One of my all time favorite meals has always been baby back ribs, but it was always necessary to go to one of a few restaurants to get decent ones. Now the ones I make in the BGE are the best I've ever had. Just for the cost of a few pieces of charcoal.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
You look at Craigslist?
+1 on this. We were able to get my dad a very nice used grill for $50 after less than a week of scanning the local listings. One thing he was especially happy about was that the grates (the part you put the food on) were cast iron.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote