Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Can you explain how the machine knows the difference from the refillable K cups and the store bought ones?
See this link explaining how it works - and how to "roll your own"...

Keurig 2.0

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

The new 2.0 Keurig coffee makers use label scanning technology to read the top label of the K-cups. If it's not Keurig an error message comes up and it will not brew.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenhardt View Post
The new 2.0 Keurig coffee makers use label scanning technology to read the top label of the K-cups. If it's not Keurig an error message comes up and it will not brew.
"Interesting" choice by the manufacturer...reason enough not to buy one for me (I'd never have bought one anyway).

Quote:
Early adopters aren't happy. The flagship K550 brewer has received a pitiful average of 2.1 out of 5 stars through its first 152 customer reviews on Amazon.com (AMZN) -- with 96 reviews giving just one star.
Keurig 2.0 Is Leaving a Bitter Taste in a Lot of Mouths - DailyFinance

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
"Interesting" choice by the manufacturer...
From the same think-tank that brought us "New Coke"...

EDIT: Midpack, I noticed the article you quoted was dated back in October. I took a look at the current Amazon ratings - yikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.0.JPG (21.1 KB, 128 views)

Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
The plan was confirmed by Keurig's CEO who stated on a recent earnings call that the new maker indeed won't work with "unlicensed" pods as part of an effort to deliver "game-changing performance." "Keurig 2.0" is expected to launch this fall. French Press and pour-over manufacturers like Chemex have plenty of time to get their thank you notes to Keurig in the mail ahead of time as users are hopefully nudged toward the realization they could be drinking much better coffee anyway.
Way to go Keurig Green Mountain...

How to hack your Keurig 2.0 http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21...w-machines.htm Really?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

For the OP, DH buys K cups at Walmart having found them the cheapest. No advice on brands or flavors.

That license trick on its new model is probably not intended for the refillable cup mavericks (I wonder how many people do this as it makes the process so much less convenient, the main reason for using Keurig I believe) but at getting a piece of every Keurig compatible orefilled coffee cup. Maybe the majority of its users are offices and won't be affected. Interesting decision.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't using refillable cups take away most of the advantage of the keurig?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That license trick on its new model is probably not intended for the refillable cup mavericks (I wonder how many people do this as it makes the process so much less convenient, the main reason for using Keurig I believe)...
Good question.

Based on the thousands of customer reviews of refillable cups on Amazon, I suspect going the refill route is reasonably popular. Yes, it is less convenient but offers the advantage of using your favorite brand of fresh coffee at a substantial savings. I calculate my per cup cost at $0.15 vs paying $0.35 - $0.50 for convenience. Less landfill waste, too.

An added bonus is the DIY/cheap route fills my "frugalness quota" first thing every morning!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting article on Keurig's DRM decision here: Keurig 2.0 Can Survive Knockoff K-Cups (GMCR)

Quote:
Keurig wanted a closed system but it's clear it won't be able to get one.

Will Keurig win?
If one company found a workaround this quickly, it seems like others will have no trouble doing so. This will cost Keurig some sales, but ultimately, it's not a major headache since Keurig has deals with major players in the coffee space.

Yes Mother Parkers and TreeHouse, along with various store brands, would appeal to people buying portion packs solely based on price, but cost-conscious customers have never been the Keurig audience. It has always been cheaper on a per-cup basis to brew a pot of coffee the old-fashioned way. Keurig's K-Cup, however, offers choice, customization, and a premium experience. With nearly every major coffee maker on board as a licensed partner, including Dunkin', Starbucks, and Krispy Kreme (NYSE: KKD ) , it seems unlikely that most Keurig users will opt for cheaper, obscure brands.
Seems like it is working out for them pretty well.

I really don't think the refillables are even on their radar. I wonder if there will be a licensed refillable cup sold for the new machines.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL!
I hope this decision backfires on them big time.

We have an older Keurig and like it.

DW only has one cup a day, and prefers the flavored coffees which is why we bought it originally.

I make a regular pot of coffee every morning (Starbucks Caffe Verona), but now and then I want "one more cup" and the Costco Pacific Bold is good enough to satisfy me.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Doesn't using refillable cups take away most of the advantage of the keurig?
The ability to brew only a single cup and use fresh grounds of whatever brand/flavor each person prefers is, in my opinion, a convenience equal to or even greater than the pre-packaged feature.

DW and I each drink only one cup each in the morning and like different coffee. The Keurig solved that problem nicely, and the benefits of using refillable cups far outweigh the negatives for us.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #32

Don't drink coffee myself, but DW does and uses the refillable cups and then buys her favorite coffee. Saves a lot of money vs buying the individual cups.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wonder if there will be a licensed refillable cup sold for the new machines.
The refillable cup I linked in this post works with the new 2.0 Keurig machines: Keurig coffee flavors and brands

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I can't say I think K coffee is that good. It's better than instant, which is not saying much.

The pod machines remind me of ink jet printers. The machines are the cheap part, the cost of consumables is very, very high. You can reverse this situation and get a great cup of coffee with a machine like this:

Jura Capresso Impressa C60

The cost is high, but your cost for coffee is much, much less. I buy 3 pound bags of beans from Costco for about $17. Hundreds of cups of coffee for the price of 35 pods! You are not locked into any particular brand or system when it comes to buying coffee.

And, the quality of the brew is outstanding!

So, the question is where do you want to spend your money? On a pod machine that's more expensive to operate in the long run and makes mediocre coffee. Or on a much more expensive machine, that uses much cheaper whole coffee beans from discount stores and makes a great cup of coffee?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #35

One (among a few) reasons we have the Keurig is that we like one type of coffee while the folks who sometimes visit seem to prefer other types of coffee.

So we stock a few different types and everyone is happy.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The refillable cup I linked in this post works with the new 2.0 Keurig machines: Keurig coffee flavors and brands
I wonder if Ekobrew paid for the license? From the workaround articles posted, there is a label on the cups printed in magic ink that the new Keurigs read (workarounds involve cutting out and reusing the label). It looks like a nice little gizmo.

When I gave DH the Keurig several years ago, I bought him a refillable cup that he has used only a couple of times when someone wants decaf, for example. He probably has a K cup himself maybe once a week at most, but likes having the variety of the packaged cups. I don't mind the taste of the packages but I rarely drink only one cup of coffee so just make a pot in the regular coffeemaker.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. People who use Keurig's are more interested in convenience than coffee quality, cost or minimizing waste. It's a popular option these days and you could do worse, but a Keurig won't make great coffee, extraction temps too low, extraction time too short and coffee/water ratio compromised.
Well said.

My take: clearly we are witnessing the decline of American civilization.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #38
Administrator

I am all for convenience, to a point. But after reading the Amazon reviews of various models, I decided against a Keurig at this time.

Eventually they may come out with a model that appeals to me and when they do, I might buy one. But not right now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
the newest keurig does not allow you to use regular coffee in a refillable filter nor can you use cups not liscensed by keurig. I had a lot of keurig coffe.......didn't work in new machine, called keurig and they replaced my coffee with new liscensed k cups.
Here's how to fix the new machines:

Here's a tidy fix for refillable coffee pods:
Keurig 2.0 Hack
Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Been drinking the K-cups for about a year. I've tried a zillion variety packs to discover that I really enjoy these favorites:

Hazelnut - Gloria Jean
Pike's Place - Starbucks
Jet Fuel and Black Tiger - Coffee People

The last 2 are extremely dark and bold.... and delicious.