Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The ability to brew only a single cup and use fresh grounds of whatever brand/flavor each person prefers is, in my opinion, a convenience equal to or even greater than the pre-packaged feature.
Good point. I don't have to compete with DW since she doesn't drink coffee. However some of my friends have told my that my coffee choices (vanilla hazelnut) are disgusting.

photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #42
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
"Interesting" choice by the manufacturer...reason enough not to buy one for me (I'd never have bought one anyway).
That's my take on it too. They invented a nice coffeemaker and that's a good thing. They they just got greedy. I really dislike greedy.

DW talked briefly about getting one until I explained the cost per cup. Then she didn't want it either.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been very happy with my Keurig 1.0 model. I suppose I'm not a real coffee snob, and I think Starbucks is too strong and dark for me personally. I would not buy the 2.0 model because of the attempt to block non-Keurig pods from operating properly.

As far as which coffee is my favorite...whichever one is on sale at Costco. The one I always seem to go back to is the Rogers brand, which Costco sells for around $24.00 for 80 pods. And the Rogers pods don't look like the other K-cup pods. They have less plastic in them, but they work fine in the 1.0 brewers.

They sometimes have sales at Costco which brings the price down to $20, or .25 cents per cup. While a big 3 pound bag of whole bean coffee would cost less than that per cup, it's cheap enough for me that I can't be bothered buying the whole beans and using the MyKcups instead of the disposable pods.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't care for flavored coffee so just buy the least expensive regular coffee K-cups at Costco. We used a Keurig in the house when they first came out but went back to fresh ground and fresh brewed when we retired. The Keurig is in my workshop where it is perfect as it's easy to use, saves a trip to the house, and I only have to rinse out my cup. I use both half&half and sugar in my coffee so evens out a lot of the differences in flavor.

I guess K-cups are like printer ink. Keurig must feel they are losing too much money to others making cups where they don't get a cut of the sale? Will be interested to see if they back off the 2.0 change. If there was a real feature or difference that only Keurig produced or licensed cups could offer, then I might see why they thought this would work but taking away choices seems short sighted to me.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time will tell.
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
The Coffee Review site published yesterday an extensive article on the currently available capsule single-serve coffees: Coffee Review: K-Cups and Single-Serve Capsule Reviews.

If you want to skip the overview, you can go straight to the capsule reviews: Coffee Review - The World's Leading Coffee Guide.

They also ran an article a couple of years ago on packing one's own K-cups: The New World of K-Cups - April 2013 |
"Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants."
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #47
gone traveling
Interesting article Chuckanut. Also interesting that no mention has been made by anyone of Tassimo.

A discussion over which brand of coffee is better is pretty much a waste of time. I mean there are people who swear by Folger's Instant and buy it in those humungous Orange plastic containers.

The advantage to a single serving machine is that you brew a single serving and it is far more convenient to do that with a machine than in any other way. Price is not the deciding factor. After convenience, comes selection and that is why I am surprised on one has posted to say 'forget Keurig, I'm a Tassimo man'(or woman).

That some people have changed the primary factor from convenience to price (pre-made vs. refillable pod) just goes to show you that some people will turn anything into a question of price if they can.

The other thing I find amusing is the tempest it has apparently caused over the DMR issue for their new model. Tassimo has had bar coded pods since day one. It is how the machine knows how to vary the process. That means, refillable pods have never been on the table.

We have been using a Tassimo for around 10 years now, since they first came out in Europe. We are now on our third machine. Keurig has never even been on our radar when buying a new one simply because they cannot make a Latte which is our morning drink of choice.

I drink only one each morning and no more coffee products all day usually. My wife likes another in the early evening and sometimes has a Cappucino instead. We had a contractor in doing some work on our house and he appreciated being able to get a double espresso to get him going in the morning. We appreciated it getting him going. Try getting your Keurig with or without your refillable pods, to do that. Or how about a Caramel Latte Macchiato or a Crema or Mocha.

If Tassimo had introduced a machine that just made coffee in Europe, it would probably have gone nowhere. Here is a current comparison.
Keurig vs Tassimo - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

So for me it's not about which flavours or brands as originally asked, that's a pretty pointless question since it depends on individual taste preferences. For me it's about do you want the convenience of single cup brewing in a couple of minutes ignoring price per cup and also want to be able to brew espresso, latte, cappucino, crema, mocha, or only coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

You couldn't get me to give up my morning latte no matter what price per cup you told me your Keurig refillable pods brews your coffee in.
Sojourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.
I was without a kitchen for 3 months during a remodel. The Keurig mini saved me from a complete insanity breakdown due to its simplicity and convenience. Due to no water in the kitchen it sat on my bathroom sink vanity adjacent to my bedroom ready for that first cup in the morning. No grounds or mess to deal with, and since there was construction mess all over the house (it seemed) it was bliss.

My pods of choice are Dunkin Donuts dark roast or Gloria Jean hazelnut.

Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote