Keurig coffee flavors and brands

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I got a Keurig coffee pot for Christmas. I purchased a box with 4 different assorted flavors and brand name cups at Costco which I am trying out now. None would be on my best taste list. I realize too that we all have different taste buds and preference for coffee. I do not favor a dark roast or rather a strong tasting coffee.

Was wondering what some of you have found to be better tasting than others, though I do realize it is all subjective to taste. But if I'm going to venture out into buying some others to try, was looking for some recommendations to try next. Also, the best place to buy them.

So avoid Starbucks Sumatra, Peets Major Dicksnsons, or even Costco Pacific Bold. CPB isn't quite as good as the other two, but is cheaper...

Those are what we drink and are darker roasts...

Buy yourself a couple of these and use whatever coffee you preferred before you got the Keurig. Works with the new 2.0 machines and is far less expensive per cup, too...

Attachments

• Ekobrew.JPG
    Ekobrew.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
What REWahoo said, but I admit we are lazy and prefer the pods. I usually buy them on Amazon in bulk or locally when I see a good price. The Wild Mountain Blueberry is my favorite, but I also really like Pumpkin Spice, but we usually just get Breakfast Blend or whatever is on sale.

modhatter, I don't own a Keurig but we have one at work and friends have one. Neither myself or my husband care for any Keurig brewed coffee. They have about 30 different coffees at work plus cocoas and teas. I've tried all at work and only like the cocoa. Hope you find one you like.

DW likes Southern Pecan, but it's hard to find. We usually get it at Staples with an online purchase. It's a medium blend and very nice.

I like Peets Major Dicksnsons, but it is bold. I now buy the ground and either use the refillable K cups or a press.

We roast our own coffee, grind it just before brewing, and make individual cups using an Aeropress. Since freshness is the most important variable in coffee flavor, we've found this method gives us coffee that is without question far better than any preground coffee. In the Keurig type cups it is stale by the time you buy it, so many of the flavor notes are gone.

We'd be happy to tell you more but that's our experience.

I second the reusable filters. Not only lets you use whatever coffee or mix you want. MIL likes half-caff, which can be hard to find in K-cups. Others experiment with adding flavors to brew in (chocolate, vanilla, whatever). Quick rinse after each brew and ready to go for the next round.

BTW- Some Keurig Mini's are under safety recall. Check here, and apparently they will send a repair kit if yours is covered.
Keurig - Mini Plus Brewer | Language selection

We roast our own coffee, grind it just before brewing, and make individual cups using an Aeropress.

Much better than Keurig. I've yet to have a good cup of coffee from a Keurig.

The reusable filter makes sense. I have a Keurig but don't use it all the time, as I don't have coffee every day. I've had some trouble with a bit of overflow with the reusable filter; I figure I'm the one doing something wrong. I haven't had time until recently to get it to work better.

I found a brand in my grocery store called Simply Enjoy that uses a stiff filter on the bottom rather than the plastic K-cup. Less waste, and quite a bit cheaper. I favor darker roasts. I'm not a coffee expert by any means, but the Keurig is way quicker than roasting and grinding and storing a lot of coffee, since I drink between 0 and 2 cups per day. I used to like flavored coffee, but now, not so much.

Swiss Miss cocoa for Keurig is very tasty and surprisingly rich.

I bought my Mom a Keurig last year. She loved it. Then she died, and neither DW nor I drink coffee. While we were working on her house DW decided to buy some Chai pods. That worked out to like $1/cup! Outrageous. And it wasn't even that great. We'll leave the machine at the house since other relatives and friends will use it as a vacation spot, but we're finished with Keurig.

I agree that the coffee isn't that great. We usually brew a pot but do use the Keurig some mornings when we're being lazy, or sometimes in the afternoon. Quick and easy though.

Much better than Keurig. I've yet to have a good cup of coffee from a Keurig.
+1. People who use Keurig's are more interested in convenience than coffee quality, cost or minimizing waste. It's a popular option these days and you could do worse, but a Keurig won't make great coffee, extraction temps too low, extraction time too short and coffee/water ratio compromised.

You folks have never been on the graveyard shift, with nothing but vending machine coffee...

I use the Keurig for one-off cups, canned coffee on w*rkday mornings, and Costco beans on weekends. I like cream, NOT creamer, in my coffee, which will mask any glaring inadequacies!

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

You folks have never been on the graveyard shift, with nothing but vending machine coffee...

I use the Keurig for one-off cups, canned coffee on w*rkday mornings, and Costco beans on weekends. I like cream, NOT creamer, in my coffee, which will mask any glaring inadequacies!

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum
+1 When I think of one of those Mr. Coffee pots sitting on the heating pad for three hours in a work break room I cringe. I don't own a Kuerig but I tried a cup or two elsewhere and found them to be OK, especially so if cream or at least half and half are available. But then my taste runs to milk shakes so take my opinion with a grain of saccharin.

The Keurig is a good option when only a single cup is needed. It is also simple to operate. I got one for my mother last year, even though she has some difficulty in the kitchen she works the Keurig without any problem. I get her coffee (Green Mountain Nantucket blend) on Amazon and generally pay around $0.50 per cup, although every so often there is a fire sale. DD#1 buys her single serving cups at Costco, not sure which flavor, and pays around $0.35 (IIRC).

buy yourself a couple of these and use whatever coffee you preferred before you got the keurig. Far less expensive per cup, too...

the newest keurig does not allow you to use regular coffee in a refillable filter nor can you use cups not liscensed by keurig. I had a lot of keurig coffe.......didn't work in new machine, called keurig and they replaced my coffee with new liscensed k cups.

the newest keurig does not allow you to use regular coffee in a refillable filter nor can you use cups not liscensed by keurig. I had a lot of keurig coffe.......didn't work in new machine, called keurig and they replaced my coffee with new liscensed k cups.

Can you explain how the machine knows the difference from the refillable K cups and the store bought ones:confused:?

True, the older refillable cups, like the old K cups you had to replace, don't work in the new "2.0" Keurig machines, but take another look at the refillable cup in my photo and link. It most definitely IS compatible with the new "2.0" Keurig and guaranteed to work in them.

The new 2.0 Keurig coffee makers use label scanning technology to read the top label of the K-cups. If it's not Keurig an error message comes up and it will not brew.

The new 2.0 Keurig coffee makers use label scanning technology to read the top label of the K-cups. If it's not Keurig an error message comes up and it will not brew.
"Interesting" choice by the manufacturer...reason enough not to buy one for me (I'd never have bought one anyway).

Early adopters aren't happy. The flagship K550 brewer has received a pitiful average of 2.1 out of 5 stars through its first 152 customer reviews on Amazon.com (AMZN) -- with 96 reviews giving just one star.
Keurig 2.0 Is Leaving a Bitter Taste in a Lot of Mouths - DailyFinance

"Interesting" choice by the manufacturer...
From the same think-tank that brought us "New Coke"...

EDIT: Midpack, I noticed the article you quoted was dated back in October. I took a look at the current Amazon ratings - yikes!

Attachments

• 2.0.JPG
    2.0.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
From the same think-tank that brought us "New Coke"...
The plan was confirmed by Keurig's CEO who stated on a recent earnings call that the new maker indeed won't work with "unlicensed" pods as part of an effort to deliver "game-changing performance." "Keurig 2.0" is expected to launch this fall. French Press and pour-over manufacturers like Chemex have plenty of time to get their thank you notes to Keurig in the mail ahead of time as users are hopefully nudged toward the realization they could be drinking much better coffee anyway.
Way to go Keurig Green Mountain...

How to hack your Keurig 2.0 :LOL: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...-lovers-are-hacking-keurig-s-new-machines.htm Really?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom